Baseless allegations damage publicly traded firms


Date posted: February 18, 2014

İSTANBUL

Turkish Association of Capital Market Intermediary Institution (TSPAKB) Chairman Atilla Köksal said on Monday that baseless news stories circulating in the Turkish media about companies, banks and intermediary institutions are harming those institutions.

Speaking in a panel organized jointly by TSPAKB and the Economy Correspondents’ Association (EMD) in İstanbul, Köksal added that baseless news also spreads in social media with a snowball effect and creates damaging effects on capital market.

Previously, Interior Minister Efkan Ala claimed on a state-run Turkish Radio and Television Corporation (TRT) TV program, without naming names, that he had solid evidence that a bank had bought up dollars from the market a few days before police raids on a Dec. 17 corruption and bribery investigation, and made a profit of over $2 billion when the price of the dollar hiked after the inquest.

Ala’s remarks were widely interpreted as a reference to Bank Asya, a participation bank affiliated with the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by respected Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. The ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government has tried to scapegoat the Hizmet movement via conspiracy theories to evade attention stemming from the corruption allegations. A number of news stories broke soon after Ala’s claims, reporting that Bank Asya’s accounts were being scrutinized for misconduct.

Habertürk daily columnist Abdurrahman Yıldırım addressed in the panel that a number of media reports have given the impression that Bank Asya was sinking. “The Capital Markets Board’s [SPK] remaining silent [on baseless allegations] renders the SPK’s code of ethics meaningless,” he said.

In the reports, the bank had to disclose a list of all its currency transactions prior to Dec. 17 to disprove the misconduct claims; central bank figures later proved that the assertion was paramount to libel, revealing that no bank had procured extraordinary amounts of greenbacks from the market.

Even in this atmosphere, the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency (BDDK) and the SPK opted to remain silent, allowing government supporters to discredit the bank up until Jan. 10, when the bank finally rescued itself from the financial strain it had been pushed into since the massive cash withdrawals.

Meanwhile, TSPAKB Deputy Secretary-General Osman İlker stressed in his panel presentations that giving wrong information, spreading rumors, reporting and commenting inaccurately, and publishing this to affect investment decisions would be considered market fraud.

Bank Asya would have needed to buy up at least $30 billion from the markets, which is impossible given both the market conditions and the bank’s total assets as of the third quarter of 2013, which were at only TL 28 billion ($12.5 billion).

Despite long-delayed warnings from capital market representatives, the pro-government Sabah daily reported on Tuesday that 192,000 new accounts have opened in Bank Asya as a result of the efforts of businesspeople affiliated with the Hizmet movement to rescue the bank from sinking. The daily also speculated that the bank has made it difficult for people to close their bank accounts.

Though a number of media outlets have circulated stories about a government-instigated plan to sink Bank Asya with massive cash withdrawals as a form of vengeance against the Hizmet movement, government officials have not refuted the claim.

Source: Todays Zaman , February 18, 2014


Related News

Report exposes death from torture of Turkish teacher in police custody

A new report from the Stockholm Center for Freedom (SCF) titled “Tortured to Death” exposes the case of 42-year-old history teacher Gökhan Açıkkollu. The report details every day he was kept in custody, where he was repeatedly beaten. The government documents, medical reports, independent opinions and witness statements obtained by SCF show his death was not due to natural causes.

Erdogan’s ego eclipses Pakistan-Turkey ties

In Pakistan, where more than 27 million children remain out of school, every teacher and educational institution matters. The Turkish non-governmental schools in question are ranked among the best in terms of in infrastructure, as well as quality of education and character-building.

Kimse Yok Mu extends a hand to Syrian refugees in Turkey

Nearly 1.6 million Syrians have fled to Turkey, and they rely on support for their basic needs from the government and civilian volunteers, many of them motivated by their Muslim faith. Kimse Yok Mu is one Turkish nongovernmental aid organization that sponsors a refugee feeding program near the Turkish-Syrian border.

Disabled woman loses health care due to son-in-law’s Gülen links

Ömer Faruk Gergerlioğlu, a member of parliament from Turkey’s left wing pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP), said the health care benefits of a gravely disabled woman were cut off because her son-in-law was a public servant dismissed from his job by government decree.

Pro-Rashid Dostum Afghan security forces raided Afghan-Turk Boys High School in Shibirghan

An Afghan-Turk Boys High School was raided by the Afghan security forces under the command of Uzbek leader Abdul Rashid Dostum, controversial First Vice President of Afghanistan, early Saturday morning and detained Turkish teachers, dozens of students and their parents in order to seize the school at the request of Turkish President Tayyip Erdoğan.

Gülen becomes litmus test for American media

The International Herald Tribune and the New York Times published a story on Fethulah Gulen and the civic society movement he has inpsired, the Hizmet movement. It was the same story with different headlines. It was full of mistakes if not defamation. Below is a detailed analysis of the the news.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Abant talks on constitution

Turkish Cultural Center reaches out to Syracuse community to share its unique culture

Turkish PM Davutoglu baselessly claims Hizmet works with PKK

Hiring based on ‘color lists’ a violation of Constitution, analysts say

Islamic scholar Gülen warns Hizmet movement against possible plots

Hizmet Essay Contest 2014

Love is A Verb – forthcoming documentary on the Gülen Movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News