African firms signal increased trade at TUSKON meeting


Date posted: February 12, 2014

İSTANBUL

Businesses from East Africa are expecting to boost trade and investment partnerships with Turkey, company representatives told a summit held by the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) in Gaziantep.

A total of 127 companies from 11 different countries in East Africa are participating in the Gaziantep summit, which started on Feb. 9 and will run until Feb. 12.

The Turkish and African businesspeople held roughly 5,000 bilateral business meetings. TUSKON has intensified efforts to help more Turkish firms branch out into promising African markets over the past five years. Turkey sells goods worth $813 million to East Africa per year, while imports from the region to Turkey amount to $160 million annually, according to 2013 figures. Turkish firms are keen to capitalize on increasing demand from the 350 million-strong population of the region, while African firms benefit from Turkey’s position as a bridge to surrounding markets.

The event’s official opening was held on Tuesday. Speaking at the opening ceremony, TUSKON Chairman Rızanur Meral said the confederation placed great importance on cooperation with African markets. “We are trying our best to introduce our companies to a flourishing African continent, helping them share expertise with their African partners,” he said.

State representatives from Uganda, Rwanda, Djibouti and Kenya also called on Turkish companies to enhance cooperation with East Africa and invest more in the region, which has a gross domestic product (GDP) of $350 billion.

“We will stay out of domestic political discussions and exert our energies on our primary job which is to work even harder to expand the Turkish presence in global markets,” TUSKON Secretary General Mustafa Günay told the event on Tuesday.

TUSKON has been promoting the improvement of Turkey’s trade ties with Africa and has already conducted a series of meetings to boost commercial relations with African countries. It is thanks to these efforts that Turkish firms have enjoyed considerable success in Africa.

Source: Todays Zaman , February 11, 2014


Related News

Gülen’s lawyer asks MİT whether it wiretapped client’s phone

Lawyer Nurullah Albayrak, who represents Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has asked in a petition to the National Intelligence Organization (MIT) whether allegations suggesting Gülen’s phones had been wiretapped by the organization are true.

Bosnia rejects Turkey’s extradition request for journalist over Gülen links

The Justice Ministry of Bosnia and Herzegovina has put an end to Turkey’s persistent efforts to have a journalist living exile extradited to Turkey on trumped-up terrorism charges, setting a strong precedent for other Turkish citizens resident in Bosnia who are being harassed and threatened with prosecution in Turkey.

Why Is Turkey Targeting Hizmet? Questions about Erdoğan’s Post-Coup Crackdown

In May 2009, I received an award at the International Turkish Olympiad. The event was sponsored and organized by members of the Hizmet movement and most of the performers were students of Hizmet schools abroad. When I, together with a handful of other recipients, mounted the stage to accept our awards, there to shake our hands was the smiling then prime minister of Turkey, Recep Tayyib Erdoğan.

Turkey to pay huge compensation for post-coup rights violations, main opposition says

The main opposition party leader has said Turkey will pay a big price and an enormous amount of compensation for gross human rights violations caused by government decrees issued during a state of emergency declared after an abortive coup. “I saw the March 12 [1971] and Sept. 12 [1980] coups, but I never saw such a picture like today,” he said

Gülen media, pro-government media, is it the same thing?

If the Cemaat has done something illegal, such as bribing an official to acquire construction license for its schools or illegally coercing businessmen to financially contribute to its activities, is it possible for this country’s citizens to condemn it. If the Cemaat is involved in illegal activities, then it is up to the state or government to reveal them and bring the Cemaat to justice.

AKP official: Torture claims won’t be investigated if victims are Gülenists

A Justice and Development Party (AKP) deputy has said there will be no investigations into claims of torture and mistreatment of people put into prison after a July 15 coup attempt if those victims are sympathizers of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

34 housewives arrested over Gülen links in İstanbul

Will Gülen Movement schools offer Kurdish-medium education?

NATO Secretary Rasmussen praises the Turkish schools in Afghanistan

Money trail in corruption case

The term ‘Fetö’ is a misnomer, a bizarre creation of the paranoid Erdoğan propaganda machine

Compensation case filed against Erdoğan for targeting Gülen-inspired schools

Turkish Colleges wins mathematics, science awards

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News