Take protests seriously, work to solve problems, Fethullah Gülen urges

Photo by Stelleconfuse/Flickr
Photo by Stelleconfuse/Flickr


Date posted: June 6, 2013

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has urged that the protests that have gripped Turkey for nearly 10 days not be underestimated or ignored, adding that “we share the blame” for the unrest. Gülen also urged restraint and patience from his followers and said “our duty is to work to rehabilitate hearts.” Gülen frequently used “we” in a speech referring in particular to members of his movement, and repeatedly blamed his movement for not doing enough to eliminate problems Turkish society faces, especially on an ethical level.

He said that while trying to prevent one wrong, “fiftyfold more wrongs are being committed, sparking more rancor and hatred.” It was not clear to whom he was referring in that instance.

Gülen counseled that the protests should not be underestimated and said that if one claims that the protesters are not seeking their rights, then some of what he called their “innocent demands” would likely be ignored. He added that the initial protesters who gathered in Taksim’s Gezi Park last week in a sit-in protest to prevent construction workers from destroying trees could be seen as rightfully demanding the preservation of the ecosystem and green spaces. He branded their initial demands as “logical.”

But he condemned the subsequent violence and said the succeeding events showed that they sometimes could not “maintain the right balance.” He said throwing stones and burning public assets is “illogical and inhumane.”

Gülen noted that indifference and the inability to comprehend events could cause another problem on the other side; likely referring to the government, who most observers believe misread the protests.

During his entire speech, he rarely referred to specific events and generally spoke hypothetically.

Gülen said underestimating the negative developments could stem from problems in “judgment, mind and logic.” He likened the protests to an “invasion of ants” and said “don’t disregard them.”

“We need to act smart and see the smallest problems as very big and we need to handle them in a smart way,” he added. Gülen said some legitimate demands of innocent people are being exploited by some groups inside and outside of Turkey. He said the international media in the US, Europe and elsewhere is publishing stories “against Turkey,” referring to the fact the reports make Turkey look bad. He said the media also exaggerated events in the country as if “there is an apocalypse happening.”

“Who is to blame for this unrest? Those who overlooked the protests by labeling it as this and that? Or should we blame those who are involved in the violence? Or should we blame the system overall?” Gülen said.

Gülen also said, “We need to ask ourselves if we share the blame for all those kids involved in violence.”

Gülen said the cause of those kids involved in violence in the streets is not “right.” If their cause was just, they could have peacefully gathered in a square and asked for their rights.

Gülen pointed to the ballot box as a way to change governments and said they could have gone door-to- door and urged people to vote for their candidate in the next elections. “If they don’t like the candidate they elected, they can wait for another season and vote again,” he said.

Gülen also added that if one starts fire and war, it is sometimes difficult to stop it later, referring to the protests authorities had belittled. “The things we are experiencing now are no different from a fire,” he said. He advised authorities to use all tools at their disposal to “extinguish the fire when it is small,” referring to the unrest.

He stated that if innocent people are being killed, educational facilities are bombed, people are being choked with gas and some people remain blind to the background of these events, then the “fire could rage.”

Gülen also urged restraint and patience from his followers and said “our duty is to work to rehabilitate hearts.”

Related newsAbant Platform urges government, protesters to exercise common sense

Source: Today's Zaman , 6 June 2013


Related News

German ambassador: Berlin does not recognize Gülen movement as ‘terrorist’ group

German Ambassador to Turkey Martin Erdmann has said his country’s judiciary does not recognize the Gülen movement as a terrorist organization and that Turkey should present credible evidence of criminal activity to Germany for the extradition of Gülen-linked individuals.

Imprisoned Gülen followers subject to rape, nail extraction, object insertion: lawyers association

People imprisoned as part of a government crackdown on the Gülen movement are being systematically tortured in the most barbaric ways including rape, removal of nails and the insertion of objects into their anuses, according to the president of a leading lawyers association.

Who staged a coup against whom on Dec. 17?

When its involvement in corruption and bribery became public, and that this seemed like the tip of an iceberg, the government thought that it must cover up the subsequent investigation, fearing that yet more investigations would be started — and so crushed the police force and the judiciary like a steamroller.

Turkish paper says journalist expelled for criticizing Erdogan

“A body linked to the prime minister received a tip that I insulted high-level officials and informed the Interior Ministry (which) decided to deport me,” Zeynalov said by phone from the Azeri capital Baku, adding his application to renew his permit to work as a journalist in Turkey had been denied last month.

World renowned NGO-rating Global Geneva stands by Kimse Yok Mu

US-based philanthropic consulting firm Global Geneva stands behind non-governmental organization Kimse Yok Mu, and slammed the ludicrous terror charges being put forward by the politically motivated witch hunt from the Turkish government.

Erdoğan’s propagandist think tanks

Erdoğan’s government coming after the strongest civic group, the Hizmet movement, in Turkey is not an isolated incident but rather fits a pattern of how Erdoğan defines democracy and how he handles nongovernmental organizations in the country.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

President Gül hosts Turkish Olympiad students in Ankara

Islamic scholars to discuss ‘Ijma’ at Istanbul symposium

Turks most honest donors to Somalia, says minister

Astonishing questions about the failed coup attempt in Turkey

Systematic Efforts by the Erdoğan Regime to Portray Hizmet as a Violent Organisation

Turkish court rejects appeal to arrest Dumanlı

Twitter shouldn’t let itself become a tool for tyrants

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News