Ergenekon’s coup-lovers owe an apology to the Hizmet movement

Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz
Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz


Date posted: October 10, 2013

Ihsan Yilmaz

Since the start of the Ergenekon trials, some of the suspects and their supporters constantly, steadfastly and fiercely argued that the Ergenekon cases were based on fabricated evidence prepared by the Hizmet movement, claiming that the defendants were actually innocent.

It seems that even some members of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) believed in this extravagant conspiracy theory. In a country where we have had a military coup every 10 years, it was surprising that these people could argue so firmly that the defendants would never attempt to stage a coup against a government they openly despised. Nonetheless, the 9th Criminal Chamber of the Supreme Court of Appeals on Wednesday announced its ruling in the appeal of the Sledgehammer coup plot trial, upholding the convictions of 237 defendants, including retired Gen. Çetin Doğan.

As Today’s Zaman reported on Wednesday, the court overturned the convictions of 63 defendants, while the prison sentences of 237 defendants, including retired Gen. Çetin Doğan, were upheld. Explaining its grounds for overturning the convictions of 63 defendants, the high court said they should have been charged with membership in a criminal organization instead of a failed coup attempt. Among the defendants for whom the high court upheld prison sentences were Generals Halil İbrahim Fırtına, Özden Örnek, Nejat Bek, Bilgin Balanlı, Şükrü Sarıışık, Dursun Çiçek and Süha Tanyeri. During the 17th hearing in August, which was reportedly the longest in the Supreme Court of Appeals’ history, 96 defense lawyers made statements for nearly 120 hours on behalf of 361 indicted individuals in which they claimed to have digital evidence that suggested the basis for the case had been faked.

Sledgehammer is an alleged coup plot created at a military gathering in 2003. According to the plan, the military was to systematically foment chaos in society through violent acts, among which were planned bomb attacks on the Fatih and Beyazıt mosques in İstanbul. The plot sought to undermine the government, laying the groundwork for a military takeover. Thus, the suspects were accused of a failed attempt to overthrow the government. The Sledgehammer documents formed the basis of a presentation given by Doğan during a military conference from March 5-7, 2003, held at the Selimiye barracks. According to the court, the conference, part of a series of regular “war seminars” in which military officers brainstormed case studies, was far from a “routine scenario” and in fact involved a plan for a coup d’état. Retired Gen. Doğan, speaking at the Selimiye seminar, reportedly said Article 35 of the Internal Service Code gives the military sufficient authority to perform a coup.

The Sledgehammer defendants have consistently argued that the police and lower courts were “infiltrated” by supporters of the Hizmet movement, and that this movement targeted them. They also claimed that all these “lies” and “fabrications” would be detected by the Supreme Court of Appeals, which has older judges who were appointed long before the AKP’s rise to power. As is well known, the supreme courts are the castles of the Kemalist oligarchy, and citizens from practicing Muslim backgrounds would never be appointed to positions at them. It is now clear that the defendants have always stuck to the maxim “never underestimate the power of denial.” Yet, the Supreme Court of Appeals looked at the concrete evidence, not their scenarios and conspiracy theories.

Many people now owe an apology to the Hizmet movement, and these people include some of our conservative-democrat or liberal-democrat friends, colleagues and columnists who implied that the movement was behind some conspiracy against these defendants. It is impossible to forget how some of them recited verses from the Quran, reminding the movement to be just.

Source: Today's Zaman , October 9, 2013


Related News

The real problem is not an AK Party-Gülen movement conflict

When the problem is not properly diagnosed, the treatment can’t be on the mark. Let us speak openly: while the problem may appear to be a struggle between children from the same neighborhood — the AK Party and the Gülen movement — the real problem is in fact one that concerns all of society: democracy and justice. And the only solution is to return to real democracy and the principles of the rule of law.

Gov’t inspects Gülen-inspired schools while ignoring run-down state schools

The poor condition of state schools in Turkey was exposed by Today’s Zaman reporters on Monday, who found that despite the government expending considerable resources investigating and raiding private educational institutions sympathetic to the Gülen movement, many state schools fail to meet even basic health and safety standards.

Peace Curriculum Includes Fethullah Gulen

The Peace Learning Center in Eagle Creek, Indiana has added Fethullah Gulen to the peacemaking curriculum and Executive Director Tim Nation says Gulen’s work to promote interfaith dialogue and community service makes him an excellent peacemaker. The Peace Learning Center in Eagle Creek, Indiana has been teaching thousands of young people about how to be […]

Hate speech in politics and media

It is hard to understand the relentless efforts of Turkish politicians and media networks to create new objects of hate, in contrast with the global and local struggle against racism, xenophobia, Islamophobia, anti-Semitism and similar approaches that pave the way for hate speech, hate crime and discrimination. Hate speech, mutually produced in the context of the developments following the Gezi Park protests in June, is concrete proof that we are making life in this world increasingly unbearable for one another.

President Gül dismisses calls to help tackle political turmoil

During a press conference held on Monday, the GYV, whose honorary chairman is Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, stated that a hate crime is being carried out against the Hizmet movement in Turkey and called on President Gül to take the initiative to investigate the executive branch’s recent attempts to render the judiciary dysfunctional.

Newly launched book tells stories of purge victims after Turkey’s July 15 coup

A recently published book tells the stories of people who, following a military coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016, were victims of a government-led crackdown carried out under the pretext of an anti-coup fight.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Lawyers, academics say ‘parallel state’ was invented to block graft probe

US Court Dismisses Turkey-backed Lawsuit against Fethullah Gülen

‘Humiliating people not allowed in Islam’

GYV contributes to correct perception of Islam

Erdogan opponents being monitored in Denmark

Islamic scholar Gülen rejects involvement with graft probe and wiretappings

Turkish-Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (TICCI) launched to promote trade

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News