Minister says ‘parallel state’ claims not realistic, cites lack of evidence


Date posted: January 27, 2014

İSTANBUL
A minister has rejected claims of a “parallel state” as “not very realistic,” citing a lack of evidence and document to back up the oft-cited claims frequently voiced by the prime minister and government officials.

Customs and Trade Minister Hayati Yazıcı told reporters on Saturday in the Black Sea town of Rize that there is a lack of evidence to substantiate claims of a “parallel state,” recalling the government’s motto of “one state, one flag, one homeland, one nation.”

As a far-reaching corruption scandal has shaken the roots of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government, with three ministers resigning from their posts over allegations of bribery and tender rigging, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has struck a defiant tone, deeming the graft probe an international plot to weaken his ruling party and Turkey.

With the probe widening, some journalists affiliated with the ruling AK Party — along with the prime minister and government officials — have labeled the Hizmet movement an organization within the state, a “parallel state.”

“In these lands, there can never be a parallel structure along with the state but some people are said to be involved in parallel implementation [of their duty] within the state’s administrative scheme. This could be said. I think considering these as a parallel state is not very realistic. This cannot happen because there is only one state. There are claims that there are parallel workings within the state’s administrative scheme considering the recent events. These all of course should be unearthed with evidence and documents. If such a [parallel state] is spotted, we all will see it together,” Yazıcı told reporters, according to a text provided by the private Cihan news agency.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 26, 2014


Related News

Bad news for Erdoğan’s lawyers in the US

Several weeks ago, a lawyer based in England and Canada, Mr. Robert Amsterdam, announced in the US that he had been hired by the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government to sue Fethullah Gülen and the Hizmet movement.

Autistic children left unattended as teacher parents under arrest over alleged coup links

Uz family has two children with autism who were left to fend for themselves after their parents were arrested as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement after the July 15 coup attempt.

Woman with soft tissue tumor held in Ankara prison for 8 months: report

Seynur Özdemir, a Turkish woman from Ankara, suffers from soft tissue sarcoma, a rare type of cancer that begins in the tissues that connect, support and surround other body structures. She however has been held in Ankara’s Sİncan prison since June 2019 on terror and coup charges.

WaPo publishes editorial from Fethullah Gulen on the day Erdogan meets Trump

If nothing else, the timing of this is certainly interesting. Yesterday, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan arrived in Washington for his meeting with President Trump scheduled for later today. It’s an encounter which I already described as problematic at best, given Erdogan’s new status as a strongman and tyrant, and it doesn’t seem to hold the promise of much benefit on our part.

Turkey at the precipice

Turkey has a terror problem. The Islamic State, Kurdish extremists and radical leftists each pursue targets inside Turkey seemingly with impunity. Turkey is no stranger to terrorism, but for decades it managed to control the problem. Turkey’s security forces were efficient. Today, however, the situation has changed. Turkish President Erdogan has purged the military, the police, and intelligence professionals.

Pro-gov’t daily proudly announces Gulenists put in ‘concentration camp’

Gulenists under custody as part of an investigation into Turkey’s July 15 coup attempt are kept in a “concentration camp” near Kayseri province, pro-gov’t Turkish news portal Kayseri Haber reported on Aug 13.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Was there a sincere alliance between the Gulen Movement and Erdogan?

Fethullah Gülen: Turkey coup may have been ‘staged’ by Erdoğan regime

9 Months imprisonment for hate crimes against Gülen Movement in Germany

Samanyolu high school wins gold medal in TÜBİTAK contest

Gülen offers condolences for slain İstanbul resident shot at protest

Myanmar-based family abducted by Turkish embassy from Yangon airport

Jailed teacher dies of cancer in Turkish prison

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News