Bank Asya recovers from gov’t provocation


Date posted: January 12, 2014

GÜNAY HİLAL AYGÜN

Faced with massive corruption scandals that have shaken the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has moved to silence media for its critical coverage of graft, money laundering, influence peddling, tender-rigging and other crimes allegedly committed by senior members of the government and businesspeople close to Erdoğan.

The sinister plan apparently cooked up by the government to intimidate the Hizmet (Gülen) movement has also included an operation targeting Bank Asya, a bank owned mostly by movement sympathizers, with the hope that the pro-Gülen media will be forced to stay silent on corruption. The clampdown on the bank first started with a defamation campaign run by pro-government media outlets and was later followed by a claim by Interior Minister Efkan Ala, who asserted that the bank had made extraordinary profits on the foreign currency market. All these allegations were refuted by the bank, which published their currency transactions; the central bank has confirmed that there has been no wrongdoing by the bank.

The government-orchestrated campaign even extended to a point where the AK Party government instructed all government agencies and state enterprises that have an account with the bank to withdraw their deposits overnight, in order to provoke a run on the bank. In the meantime, it was rumored that the government put pressure on regulators at the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency (BDDK) to seize the bank, whose balance sheet was dealt a blow. Yet the bank quickly recovered from the shakeup thanks to the campaigning of citizens and new investors who rushed to aid the bank with fresh capital. The regulators have been left with no justification to seize the bank, a move that was also opposed by economy czar Deputy Prime Minister Ali Babacan.

Taraf columnist and Ankara Bureau Chief Hüseyin Özay described the Erdoğan government’s plan as a “lynching campaign saying that it was meant to be like firing a bullet at the Turkish economy. “Last week, the Turkish banking system barely escaped a ‘forced bankruptcy operation’ that presented a critical risk for the system,” he wrote in his column. With the fresh injection of cash to the bank compensating well above the amount of money withdrawn from the bank under pressure from the government, Özay said, “Thus the banking industry has averted a major earthquake.” He also criticized government agencies for withdrawing their deposits because that abrupt move meant they had to forfeit a huge profit on the deposits because of early withdrawal.

Turan Bozkurt, business editor and columnist at Zaman, slammed the BDDK for being silent against the slanderous attacks targeting Bank Asya by the pro-government media, saying the watchdog agency should have warned the media, especially in light of Banking Law No. 5411, which prohibits publication of defamatory articles. Bozkurt also revealed that businesspeople who do business with the bank have started getting calls from circles close to the government, asking them to withdraw their deposits from the bank. He said, “There are rumors that a list has been circulating around,” which includes clients’ data that, by law, cannot be handed over to anybody. Only the bank and regulators at the BDDK have access to the confidential data.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 12, 2014


Related News

Intel chief first gives anti-Hizmet file to Obama, then visits Gülen, STV president Karaca says

Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MİT) Undersecretary Hakan Fidan gave a file containing a plan to finish off the Hizmet movement inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen to US President Barack Obama and then the MİT head visited Gülen at his home in Pennsylvania, Samanyolu Media Group Chief Hidayet Karaca stated on Tuesday.

What does religion have to do with corruption?

The ongoing graft investigation, which hit the press on Dec. 17 with a major police operation resulting in the arrest of 24 suspects — including prominent business figures and the sons of two ministers — sparked a public discussion on the links between politics and Islam, as a majority of the members of the ruling party present themselves as devout Muslims.

60-year-old Turkish villager detained after questioning gov’t coup narrative

Murat Gulen, a 60-year-old villager and a relative of Fethullah Gulen was detained after he was revealed questioning the government’s narrative over the July 15, 2016 coup attempt during a video interview by the pro-government Ihlas News Agency.

Kimse Yok Mu delivers iftar meals to homes

Turkish charity organization Kimse Yok Mu (KYM) delivers fast-breaking (iftar) meals for the needy families in their homes during the holy month of Ramadan. In the central province of Kayseri, volunteers from the KYM have been distributing iftar meal to the families in five neighborhoods which received great appreciation.

Turkish president approves closure of schools run by Erdogan rival

Turkish President Abdullah Gul approved on Wednesday a law closing private preparatory schools, many of which are a source of income and influence for an Islamic cleric accused by Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan of seeking to topple him.

Turkey purge victims unable to find jobs, cannot leave country

“It’s a kind of civil death,” Kerem Altıparmak, a human rights lawyer and political science professor at Ankara University, told the Los Angeles Times to describe how the lives of thousands have changed since a July 15 coup attempt. “You cannot leave the country, you cannot find other jobs, either because of legal or de facto obstacles, because even in the private sector people do not want to employ you.”

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Bangladeshi professor published his second book on Fethullah Gulen

Two-truck load of Kimse Yok Mu aid for Turkmens

Secret police intervention following suspicion of Turkish murder-plot in Denmark

“Hizmet” movement, the current tensions and self-criticism (Interview with Ihsan Yilmaz)

Colours of the World; IFLC Pakistan grand finale

Turkish Airlines discriminates against critical newspapers on planes

Turkish Charities accelerate Ramadan aid efforts worldwide

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News