False reports on Bank Asya breach laws

Bank Asya
Bank Asya


Date posted: December 24, 2013

İSTANBUL

Leading Turkish participation bank Bank Asya said on Tuesday that certain media reports are breaking laws by aiming to harm the bank’s image and market value.

Earlier reports in the Turkish media had claimed that the government had mulled over a comprehensive investigation into Bank Asya following an ongoing corruption and bribery case. The papers cited the Hizmet movement — with which Bank Asya is affiliated — as the hand behind the police operations into persons close to the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party). The same reports implied a retaliatory attack on Bank Asya over alleged abuses within the bank.

In a written note to Borsa İstanbul (BIST) on Tuesday, Bank Asya said the reports are “an apparent breach of laws regulating the stock markets and preserving the rights of firms traded on the bourse.”

“Bank Asya, Turkey’s 10th largest private bank in terms of assets, does not have a single operation that runs against the Turkish banking rules as monitored by the Banking Regulation and Supervision Agency [BDDK] and the Capital Markets Board [SPK],” the statement read.

Bank Asya noted that it has an asset size of TL 287 billion and serves customers with 281 branches across Turkey and 5,100 employees in full compliance with local banking principles. The bank applied to the SPK last week to issue sukuk worth up to $500 million.

Fifty percent of Bank Asya’s shares are traded on the BIST and Tuesday’s statement is a clear indication that the bank may take legal action against the false reports.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 24, 2013


Related News

Roundhouse Roundup: A Turkish Friendship Dinner

U.S. critics of Gulen claim that an extreme Islamic fundamentalist lies beneath his public statements and that he is someone who wants to bring Sharia law to both Turkey and the U.S. In Turkey, though, his enemies portray him as a Zionist puppet of the CIA and Israel.

Pro-gov’t news portal proposes ways to execute Gülen followers

Following President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s promise “to cut off traitors’ heads,” the pro-government media called for an Ottoman-like solution for the execution of people linked to the Gülen movement. The social media message came a day after Erdoğan targeted people linked to the Gülen movement while speaking to a crowd of thousands on the anniversary of the failed coup attempt.

Gülen withdraws libel complaint after housewife apologizes

Prominent Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen on Tuesday withdrew a complaint of libel against a housewife who had insulted him with treason in one of her tweets but later apologized, saying she had been influenced by the language of the political leadership.

CHP applies to Constitutional Court for annulment of dershane law

Speaking to reporters during a press conference at Parliament on Friday, CHP deputy parliamentary group chairman Akif Hamzaçebi said his party has taken the dershane law, under which all dershanes across the country are to be closed down and about 40,000 school administrators reassigned, to the Constitutional Court.

Turkish PM acknowledges phone call to media executive

Turkey’s mainstream media has been under constant fire since last year’s Gezi Park protests and the recent graft probes for yielding to political pressure from the government.

Abant Platform on Africa to convene on Friday

SEVGİ AKARÇEŞME, İSTANBUL The 29th meeting of the Abant Platform, to focus on Africa, will be held from June 28-30 on Lake Abant in the province of Bolu. Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) Secretary-General Hüseyin Hurmalı told Today’s Zaman on Wednesday that the Abant Platform had established a partnership earlier this year with the African Union, which […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Why Gülen movement teachings attractive to followers?

Kimse Yok Mu, Doctors Worldwide step up aid efforts in Syria, Palestine

Erdoğan calls on people to show no mercy to Gülen movement

Aid organization head blasts terror probe

21st century Pharaoh rises: The tragedy of Turkey’s failed coup

Education Ministry sought to profile students, teachers through surveys

Fethullah Gulen challenges Erdogan, calls for international probe into Turkey coup allegations

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News