‘African wave’ makes splash at İstanbul summit

An African businessman samples food on the summit’s second day, which saw a number of African businesses sign trade deals with their Turkish counterparts. (Photo: İHA)
An African businessman samples food on the summit’s second day, which saw a number of African businesses sign trade deals with their Turkish counterparts. (Photo: İHA)


Date posted: November 26, 2013

CUMALİ ÖNAL, İSTANBUL

The second day of a global trade and investment summit in İstanbul saw increased interest from African companies in Turkish markets, with some major deals in the works.

Organized by the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON), the World Trade Summit opened its doors to visitors from around the world on Monday. The summit, which will run through Nov. 26, is hosting 1,343 foreign firms and 800 local firms and expects to facilitate 25,000 business-to-business transactions.

The TUSKON summit is sponsored by the Economy Ministry and the Turkish Exporters Assembly (TİM).

The summit’s second day saw a number of African businesses sign investment and trade deals with their Turkish counterparts in various sectors including retail, food, media and agriculture. The theme of the TUSKON summit is food and agriculture, and the participating companies are focused on these industries.

One of the African entrepreneurs at the TUSKON summit was Thokozani Zulu from South Africa. The son of the autonomous Zulu region’s king, Zulu has agreed to buy food retail goods worth TL 10 million ($5 million) from Turkish suppliers. Underlining the importance South Africa has attached to rapprochement between Turkey and African nations over the past decade, Zulu said his company expected to further increase trade links with Turkish partners. Zulu said his firm would make new investments at home to provide jobs for thousands of unemployed youths.

Tanzania’s Orbit, a firm active in the construction and agriculture sectors, also had a presence at the summit. Orbit representatives said they were looking for Turkish partners to make investments in Tanzania. An entrepreneur from Malawi, Kush Mittal, said he had held talks with Turkish companies on working together in the energy and food sectors.

The summit also attracted African media companies. One of them is Senegalese D-Media; the company’s CEO, Bougane Gueye, said the firm is considering buying broadcast rights for Turkish TV series. “Different series from different countries are popular in Senegal. We heard how Turkish products have made fame in this surrounding region and we are close to bringing them into our country soon,” he told Today’s Zaman.

Firms from the Americas were also busy at Tuesday’s summit, including Grupo Pão de Açúcar (GPA), South America’s largest retailer. The company has been looking into importing food items from Turkish providers since last month. Cristiana Campos, from the Brazilian company’s marketing division, told Today’s Zaman that GPA had agreed to buy Turkish products at the summit. Another South American company at the summit was Paraguay’s DVC, and general manager Daniel Villacorta said the firm will buy Turkish food products worth $1 million.

This is the 18th edition of the TUSKON event. The previous summits saw more than 28,000 foreign and 50,000 Turkish businesspeople participate, making deals worth an estimated $26 billion.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 26, 2013


Related News

Erdoğan officially declares his despotism

Erdoğan delivered a speech that will be remembered as a disgrace in political history as he referred to the struggle against the Hizmet movement.He not only confessed that the government has been tyrannizing certain social segments but also openly revealed future illegalities.

Gülen: ‘Shame for military to stage coups but not to finish off the PKK’

Gülen expressed his grief over the deaths of dozens of security members during terrorist attacks in the country’s Southeast last week. He also expressed his disappointment over the Turkish military’s failure to end PKK terrorism over the past 30 years.

Hizmet and self-criticism

Fethullah Gülen stated a few days ago that he made a mistake by supporting the Justice and Development Party (AKP) during the 2010 referendum campaign. Even though, as of today, I do not think that supporting the constitutional amendment package was wrong in itself, it seems that this package has paved the way for the AKP’s growing semi-despotism.

Turkish intelligence staged a rocket attack on Erdoğan’s palace to rally public support

Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MIT) appears to have staged a rocket attack on the palace of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan three days after a failed coup in order to bolster the perception that the threat of a putschist attempt was still alive and to rally public support for the government.

Erdoğan: Our people will punish Gülenists in the streets if they ever get out of jail

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said in a public speech on Wednesday that if people affiliated with Turkey’s Gülen group are released from prison after completing their prison terms, the Turkish public will “punish them in the streets.”

Down Syndrome child accompanies mother in prison as parents jailed over Gülen links

A 22-month-old child who suffers from Down Syndrome is living in jail along with his mother after both his mother and father were imprisoned in Konya over alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement, a report said on Saturday.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

IFLC’s ‘colors of the world’ takes stage in Brazil

More than 60 countries attend panel organized by GYV at UN

US intel director: Turkish purge impeding fight against ‘Islamic State’

That is Why the Turkish Government could Pay 1 Billion Euros

Thousands bid farewell to Turkish teacher killed in Somalia

Turkish court orders 81-year-old man to stay behind bars on coup charges

4-year-old visits dad in jail on Children’s Day wearing T-shirt with newborn brother’s picture

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News