Arınç says Gülen’s offer to hand over prep schools ‘sacrifice’

Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç (Photo: İHA, Tuncer Cengiz)
Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç (Photo: İHA, Tuncer Cengiz)


Date posted: November 20, 2013

Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç has described the offer of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen to hand over prep school management to the state an example of “sacrifice” and promised that the issue of prep schools will be resolved in a way that pleases everyone.

Arınç told reporters on Wednesday before embarking on a trip to New York that Gülen is not at odds with the government and that his claim that the prep schools are beneficial for improving education in Turkey “might be correct reasoning.”

The deputy prime minister also said Gülen offered to hand over the management of prep schools to the state and described the offer as an example of “sacrifice.” “One needs to appreciate the one who says this. In return for such a sacrifice, what we are supposed to do as a government is think rationally,” Arınç said without elaborating.

The government announced it is working on legislation to shut down all existing prep schools, arguing that they operate as a second education system. Opponents of the plan have noted that the prep schools are a consequence of the many inadequacies of Turkey’s schools and education system, and said that by offering tutoring at affordable prices, prep schools help low-income students enter university.

Following a lengthy Cabinet meeting on Monday, Arınç said that the government decided to reconsider the fate of prep schools and will discuss the issue and all its dimensions once more.

Arınç also said it is wrong to associate all prep schools with the Hizmet movement and that there are other private companies that run a number of prep schools. He added that the business of prep schools is part of a free enterprise system and the Hizmet movement may have had to make sacrifices to keep its schools running.

He noted that the government also has to think about the fate of students and teachers studying and working in prep schools, promising that the decision government will make “won’t hurt anyone.” He said there are efforts being made to highlight the issue of prep schools but that there is no benefit in others exaggerating the issue.

The deputy prime minister also referenced a quote from Gülen that the Islamic scholar wrote in a letter to Turkish President Abdullah Gül — though Arınç didn’t openly mention whether or not Gülen sent him a letter as well.

Osman Şimşek, editor of herkul.org, a website that typically publishes Gülen’s speeches, said on his Twitter account on Tuesday that Gülen wrote a letter to Gül and other state dignitaries urging them to prevent the closure of prep schools.

Şimşek referenced Gülen’s letter to Gül in a bid to dismiss a report published by pro-government daily Yeni Akit, in which it blamed Gülen for granting the keys of his schools to a general involved with the Feb. 28 postmodern coup yet expressing anger at Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. The report was referring to a letter written by Gülen to Çevik Bir — the second highest-ranking general in the army at the time of the Feb. 28, 1997 coup — assuring him that the schools are not the focal point of “illegal activities” and that the general could, at any time, visit and inspect the schools.

The website editor said Yeni Akit’s report was a “great injustice” and that Gülen’s remarks were made at a time when pressure on members of the Hizmet movement were tremendous. He said Gülen’s words had been “reflected in a false way” by the report.

He said Gülen displays exemplary behavior toward today’s senior state officials, to an extent that is well beyond what he did to Gen. Bir, and he brought up the letter Gülen wrote to Gül and other senior state officials a few weeks ago as evidence.

“These facilities are the product of the nation; let them serve the nation. But they should not be shut down; they should not be wasted for nothing,” Gülen said in the letter, according to Şimşek’s tweets. Gülen wrote that it doesn’t matter who manages these institutions as long as they remain so that they may provide services to people.

“God knows that we don’t have an ambition to manage [these prep schools]; our desire is that these services don’t become the causalities of a disagreement,” Gülen reportedly said.

Şimşek also underlined that other remarks made by Gülen — who cited how beautifully and elegantly Moses entreated the pharaoh Ramses to let his people leave Egypt — were deliberately misquoted as well. Gülen provided the example to show how the members of the Hizmet movement should behave when expressing demands.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 20, 2013


Related News

PM’s discourse over ‘no family, children’ offensive, hurtful

On Feb. 23, Prime Minister Erdoğan targeted Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) Chairman Devlet Bahçeli due to his criticism of the government in the ongoing corruption investigation, saying: “He does not have any concept of family. He has no such concern. We know what children mean,” in an obvious reference to Bahçeli’s unmarried status.

Turkish businessmen have first iftar with Syrian refugees in Hatay

A group of Turkish businessman traveled to Kilis province on Wednesday to join an iftar dinner with Syrian refugees, according to media reports. After iftar, one of the Syrian refugees gave a speech in Turkish, saying: “We are refugees here and you have left your homes and your children and you have come here to have iftar with us. We are very happy and grateful for what you have done for us.”

New developments regarding Gülen movement

MURAT YETKIN FROM RADIKAL DAILY I was first introduced to the Fethullah Gülen-inspired schools when I visited them as a journalist while following trips abroad by former President Süleyman Demirel. Since then I have been wondering why the Turkish state is reluctant to make use of such a great opportunity. By “state” I do not […]

Gülen’s lawyer refutes Erdoğan’s claims as baseless

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has denied President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s accusations against his client, saying the president has misrepresented the claims included in a recently unveiled indictment on a bugging scandal.

Cultural diaspora

It is always seen that youth living abroad have opportunity to go on tours to different countries to learn from their culture. But for them to understand the intricacies, International Festival of Language and Culture (IFLC) is being held in various countries since its inception in 2003. This year the IFLC is going to be held in the national Capital where students from across the world are going to participate.

AKP official: Let sacked public servants eat tree roots

The Justice and Development Party’s (AKP) Isparta branch head, Osman Zabun, has said the civil servants who have recently been dismissed from state institutions over alleged links to the Gülen movement can go and “feed on tree roots” if they don’t want to starve to death.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

UN and Turkish charity provide 17,000 Syrian refugees with financial aid

Virginians Deliver 114,000 Pounds of Winter Warmth to Refugees in Turkey

Turkey investigating 4,167 Gülen followers in 110 countries

Armed with automatic rifles, Turkish authorities raid Gülen-linked schools

The impact of corruption on elections

How can a government allow damaging their very own successful educational system to please another country?

Abduction and torture part of war on Gulenists: Report

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News