Gülen calls on followers to adapt to PM’s teaching center closures


Date posted: November 27, 2012

Prominent Turkish religious leader Fethullah Gülen has defied promises by the prime minister to close down preparation schools, many of which are run by the scholar’s followers, calling on members of the movement to create alternatives.

“If they close your homes, you should open dorms. If they close your dorms, you will open new homes. If they close your schools, you will respond by opening a university. And when they close your university, you should open ten schools. You should never stop marching,” Gülen said in a video that was posted at Herkül.org, a website close to the movement.

“It is useless to protest the government’s decision, you should find alternative ways to survive,” he said.

The Gülen community has close relations with several large chains of private teaching centers that prepare students for the university entrance exam.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has previously promised to close such schools by either 2013 or 2014, “regardless of who is hurt by the decision.

Gülen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania for more than 10 years but remains an important political player in Turkey, was named one of the 10 most influential Muslims in the world by the Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre, daily Hürriyet has reported.

Source: Hurriyet Daily News November/27/2012


Related News

Islamabad High Court: Pak-Turk Schools will not be handed over to Turkish Government

Justice Aamer Farooq of the Islamabad High Court on Friday disposed of a petition filed by Pak-Turk Educational Foundation against the possible handover of its schools to another Turkish educational network, the Maarif Foundation.

Turkish consulate in Rotterdam seized passports of Gulen-supporters

The Turkish consulate in Rotterdam confiscated the Turkish passports of a number of Dutch-Turkish people believed to be affiliated with the Gulen movement. The people involved were told that they are now classified as a fugitive and were given a one-day passport to fly to Turkey and prove their innocence in front of a judge.

Turkish, Armenian students foster coexistence with exemplary project

FATMA DIŞLI ZIBAK Putting aside all their prejudices and what their course books taught them, a group of students from a Turkish high school and an Armenian high school have joined hands to get to know each other and develop bonds of brotherhood among different religious and ethnic groups in the country with a joint […]

The real issue is the National Security Council [in Turkey]

A recent report by the Taraf daily indicating that the National Security Council (MGK) had formed a plan to destroy the Gülen movement has sparked discussions. This is only natural, considering that the current political administration is known for its adherence to religious values. This report is huge news because the government failed to oppose the military in the MGK meeting.

Filipino – Turkish Tolerance School students excel in ICAS 2014 exam, Ten others top in campus journalism

At least nineteen students of the Filipino – Turkish Tolerance School (FTTS) have excelled in Mathematics, Science and English during an examination given by the International Competition Assessment for Schools (ICAS).

Municipality illegally demolishes building in İstanbul

Workers from the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality have demolished a small, prefabricated shelter on land that belongs to the Hizmet-affiliated Mehtap Education Foundation, despite the lack of official permission to carry out the demolition.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish Teacher Died Under Custody in the Aftermath of the Coup Attempt

Bill Clinton on Fethullah Gulen’s Contribution to the World

Report: Erdoğan’s anti-Turkish school rhetoric damages Turkish-African ties

PM’s order echoes 2004 MGK decision [to undermine the Gulen Movement]

Back to school in Turkey after post-coup teacher purge

President Zuma sends message to the South African – Turkish Business Association Business Awards

Bruised by lavish palace, Erdoğan pictures fake Gülen compound

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News