Appeals court unanimously upholds Fethullah Gülen acquittal


Date posted: March 8, 2008

METIN ARSLAN

The Supreme Court of Appeals has upheld the acquittal of Fethullah Gülen, first issued by the Ankara 11th High Criminal Court.

The 9th Criminal Chamber of the Supreme Court of Appeals reached the decision unanimously, stating that there was no inconsistency in the ruling of the 11th High Criminal Court, adding that it found the prosecutor’s appeal to be unsubstantiated.

Gülen lawyer Abdülkadir Aksoy said they learned of the court’s decision from newspapers. “We were not expecting a different result since the approval of the present verdict was a natural outcome of the law,” he said, alluding to the acquittal reached by the 11th High Criminal Court by reversing the Ankara 2nd State Security Court’s previous decision, made in 2003 to delay the verdict. The court’s decision emphasized that the claims against Mr. Gülen were “unreal and inconclusive.”

The members of the Supreme Court of Appeals deliberated on the appeal made by the prosecutor at a meeting last week. Aksoy stressed that they had not yet been notified of the verdict. “The verdict of the Ankara 11th High Criminal Court, which had concluded that the crimes attributed to my client were unsubstantiated and that he never got involved in any action to undermine the constitutional system, has been approved by the Supreme Court of Appeals. Truth has prevailed once again,” he said.

Gülen’s lawyers, including Aksoy, appealed to the 11th High Criminal Court in March 2006, asking that the court’s decision to delay a final verdict be overturned with the demand that Gülen be acquitted, adding that his activities did not constitute a crime. Prior to the Supreme Court of Appeals’ approval, the court, based on an amendment made to Law no. 3713, overturned the Ankara 2nd State Security Court’s decision, dated March 10, 2003.

The lawsuit was first filed against Gülen in 2000 by the chief prosecutor of the Ankara State Security Court (DGM). Gülen was tried under Counterterrorism Law no. 7 on charges of “establishing an illegal organization to undermine the secular structure of the state with the aim of replacing it with a state based on Shariah law as well as engaging in various activities to this end.”

Cüneyt Toraman, a lawyer, said the Supreme Court of Appeals was right to uphold Gülen’s acquittal. “There was no other option. The point I cannot understand is why it took the Supreme Court of Appeals this long to issue its decision. It should have issued its decision long ago. Gülen was tried under nonsensical charges. Such a lawsuit cannot be filed against any individual in a country governed by the rule of law,” he said.

Source: Today's Zaman , March 8, 2008


Related News

Ceremony canceled after Gülen’s relative wins short film contest

The award ceremony of a short film contest organized by the Ministry of Education has been canceled after the contest was won by Seleme Gülen, a relative of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, whose ideas inspired the faith-based Hizmet movement.

Yet another woman detained due to Gülen links shortly after delivery

Teacher Esra Demir was detained on Monday, a day after giving birth in Batman, as part of a witch-hunt targeting the Gülen movement, news website tr724 reported.

Black Sunday: The day Turkey detained its prominent journalists

The government-orchestrated crackdown on independent critical media outlets in Turkey took a turn for the worse on Sunday with dawn raids on Turkey’s largest newspaper Zaman and popular national TV network Samanyolu TV that led to the detention of top managers at the media outlets.

ABA urges Obama to protest Turkey’s suppression of free speech

On September 1, the American Booksellers Association joined American publishers, authors, and librarians in a letter urging President Obama to protest the widespread suppression of free speech in Turkey during his September 4 meeting with Turkish President Tayyip Erdoğan in China.

Why Turkey wants to silence its academics

Where will Turkey go from here? I spend many sleepless nights, feeling just as I did when I first read George Orwell’s “1984.” Just like Orwell’s dystopian society – a society with oppressive controls – the current Turkish state and the government are, it seems, out to silence all people capable of producing new and independent thinking and research in Turkey. As most of such minds are concentrated in Turkish academia, they will all be destroyed unless they turn into obedient and pious consumers.

Ankara assassination: Why Erdogan blames the Gulenists and ignores the jihadists

Ironically, Erdogan finds it more expedient to blame Hizmet, rather than Daesh (IS), for the jihadist atrocities being consistently perpetrated in Turkey today. Thus, the Turkish Islamist president has got a scapegoat following all terror incidents of jihadist nature or other internal crisis engulfing the country.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

American academic: Hizmet Movement serves for entire humanity

Synagogue hosts a night of Muslim-Jewish harmony

NBA Player Enes Kanter: I’ve Spoken Out Against Turkey’s President Erdogan and Now I Can’t Go Home

Kimse Yok Mu delivered aid to Arakan Muslims

Reflections on my first trip to TÜRKIYE

African Union and Kimse Yok Mu sign landmark agreement to further aid efforts in Africa

‘Parallel’ inspection launched against prominent Jewish-Turkish businessman İshak Alaton

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News