Moldova Rights Activists Target Erdogan at Football Match


Date posted: September 12, 2019

Madalin Necsutu

Moldovan rights activists used a football match with Turkey on Tuesday to stage a brief protest against the highly controversial extradition to Turkey in 2018 of seven teachers.

Human rights activists from the “Occupy Guguta” movement in Moldova unveiled a banner on Tuesday night at the national football match between Moldova and Turkey, with a critical message for the authoritarian Turkish President, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

The activists at the Zimbru Stadium in Chisinau urged Erdogan to release seven Turkish teachers working in Moldova who were taken back to Turkey by force in September 2018 in a joint operation of the Moldovan and Turkish secret services.

“Erdogan, give us back our professors!” the activists wrote on their banner.

The seven teachers belonged to the private Orizont chain of high schools in Moldova, which are affiliated to the Hizmet movement of the exiled Turkish cleric and Erdogan foe Fetthulah Gulen – who Erdogan blames for a failed coup in 2016. Gulen, who lives in the US, has denied all connection with the affair.

The Turkish citizens were seized in an alleged deal between Erdogan and the pro-Russian President of Moldova, Igor Dodon, and the Moldovan oligarch Vlad Plahotniuc, who then de facto ran the ruling Democratic Party-led government in Moldova.

====== RELATED NEWS ======

Extradition of Turkish Citizens: Moldova to pay 125,000 euros in damages for rights violations

==========================

Andrei Lutenco, an activist with Occupy Guguta movement, told BIRN that the banner was posted for about ten minutes until the private security at the stadium came and forced them to take it down.

“They did not invoke any reason, they just came and said take it down. They didn’t explain why. At one point they ripped it [banner] from out of my hands. The security became a little violent and strong-armed my colleague, though it was not so serious,” he said.

Lutenco added that his colleague had filed a complaint to the police about the incident.

“I hope the message will get to the Turkish press also because we can do nothing here for those teachers, but those there can save their lives and return them to their families,” another activist, Ion Andronache, said on Facebook.

A deputy from the governing pro-Western ACUM bloc, which is in coalition with the Socialists, Dumitru Alaiba, said freedom of speech should be respected in Moldova.

“The message on the banner may or may not be liked. The regulations may be different. The problem resides in how to act in respect of the right of people to express themselves freely in a free country,” he said on Facebook.

The present Moldovan parliament is now investigating the suspicious case conducted last year by former Moldovan officials together with the Moldovan Security and Intelligence Service SIS.

The General Prosecutor’s Office on Tuesday said the former deputy director of the SIS, Alexandru Baltaga, detained at the end of last week over the expulsion case, would remain for the next 30 days under house arrest.

Olga Poalelungi, head of the Bureau of Migration and Asylum in Moldova, has also been charged with overstepping her official duties, with serious consequences.

Source: Balkan Insight , September 11, 2019


Related News

Turkey’s targeted teachers find refuge in Vietnam

Vietnam feels like an odd refuge for those who put their faith in one of Turkey’s most controversial political figures—a man who preaches peace, but has been accused of fomenting war. For Yildirim and others like him, however, it may prove the safest place in the world.

NTIC: Showcasing Nigerians’ Academic Prowess

Considering the excellent performance of its students at various national and international competitions and examinations, which has placed Nigeria in global pedestal, the Nigerian Turkish International Colleges (NTIC) has demonstrated that institutions should not only be assessed based on their position in global rankings, but by students’ performance.

Turkey’s ‘Nazi-style’ purge of academia condemned

The mass sacking of more than 1,200 academics in Turkey has been compared to tactics used in Nazi Germany. Jean Asselborn, Luxembourg’s foreign minister, made his comments shortly after Turkish authorities released a list of 1,273 academics fired from public universities on 29 October.

Panel Discussion – The Gulen Schools In Central Asia

Kazakhstan’s President Nursultan Nazarbaev rather quickly defused the problem with Turkey by making a visit to Ankara to meet with President Erdogan. Nazarbaev did not agree to close down the Gulen schools in Kazakhstan, but he did promise to carefully scrutinize those running the schools and those teaching in them.

Turkish schools building peace in Africa

The Young Kastamonu Businessmen Association members visited Mehmet Akif High School, one of the eleven Turkish schools in Morocco and had meetings with the members of the Turkish-Moroccan Businessmen Association. The KIAD (Kastamonu Businessmen Association) organized a business trip to Morocco and were greeted at Casablanca Airport with roses by the Moroccan businessmen. The Young […]

An American’s journey into a Hizmet school in Turkey

One thing I haven’t mentioned is the fact that the school engages with the families of all its students, and that fact was evident in the way the students engaged with their teachers and each other. I have never seen a bunch of adolescent girls with such nice manners, warm self-confidence and eagerness to learn and succeed.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish PM Erdoğan’s rhetoric and reality

Deputy denies telling daily Star of Hizmet plot against him

Fethullah Gülen Offers Antidote For Terror

Kimse Yok Mu restoring eyesight to the needy blind in Pakistan

Prof. Ergil: Gülen is in general a very bashful person

NTIC Foundation: Touching lives in Nigeria

Teacher arrested after repairman found Gülen’s audio CD in computer

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News