Group of activists walking across Europe raises 40,000 euros for Turkish refugees in Greece


Date posted: March 2, 2019

A group of activists from the UK raised 40,000 euros for needy Turkish nationals who have landed in Greece as refugees in the face of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s post-coup witch-hunt.

Bold Medya online news outlet reported Tuesday that the group has collected 40,000 euros in online donations and handed over the sum to the Time to Help, the charity organization that works in support of people in need across the world.

Group members told Bold Medya that their campaign, Walk across Europe–Help refugees in Greece, started in Belgium on Feb 2 and continued to cover Luxembourg, Germany and France.

The group consisted of 17 people from different backgrounds who walked around 50 kilometers in total in solidarity with the refugees who had to walk much longer distances escaping the persecution in their hometown.

“It is fair to say that a massacre is happening in Turkey right now. They persecute innocent people. We want to let Europeans and people in the US know about what is happening in Turkey,” Mouchamed Ekmel Intze, one of the group members told Bold.

Why are Turks fleeing?

Thousands of people have fled Turkey due to a massive witch-hunt launched by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government against its critics such as academics, Kurdish politicians and sympathizers of the Gülen movement, in the wake of a failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016. The government accuses the movement of masterminding the coup while the group denies involvement in the putsch.

More than 220,000 people have been detained and some 90,000 including academics, judges, doctors, teachers, lawyers, students, policemen and many from different backgrounds have been put in pre-trial detention since last summer.

Many tried to escape Turkey via illegal ways as the government cancelled their passports like thousands of others. Thousands cross Evros river to escape from the snowballing persecution. Around 14,000 people crossed the Evros frontier from January through September of this year, the Wall Street Journal said earlier underlining that around half of those crossing the Evros river were Turkish nationals.

On July 19, a woman and her three children died after a boat carrying a group of Turkish asylum seekers capsized in the Evros River while seeking to escape Erdogan’s crackdown.

In a separate incident on Feb 13, at least three people died and five others were missing their boat fell off in the river the same way.

Source: Turkey Purge , February 27, 2019


Related News

Turkish court: There is no Gulen terror organization

The 2nd Criminal Court in the southern province of Hatay rejected an indictment prepared about the Fethullah Gülen Terrorist Organization (FETÖ), a term used by the Turkish government to describe the Gülen movement, saying that there is no such a terrorist organization officially identified.

Yamanlar and Fatih High Schools’ success at International Science Olympiads

Yamanlar and Fatih Science High Schools won medals at the international physics, chemistry, biology and computer this summer as well. Sebahattin Kasap, CEO of Yamanlar Education Institutions, said; “207 out of 391 medals won so far at the international Olympiads by Turkish student won by Yamanlar Science High School students. We are happy to represent Turkey successfully”.

Journalist: I was threatened over not supporting government

Seasoned journalist Cüneyt Özdemir has said he was threatened by two members of pro-government media outlets and pressured to jump on the bandwagon by lashing out at the Hizmet movement and hosting a commentator who Özdemir said is a staunch supporter of conspiracy theories.

Corruption or spies?

It is crystal clear that Erdoğan will use his majestic media and state power to continue his psychological war campaign to dodge questions about alleged corruption cases related to some of his ministers, very close friends and even relatives.

Illegal raid against Bank Asya spells disaster for Turkey, says TUSKON head

“The raid on Bank Asya is a violation of the right of proprietorship and a murders the entrepreneurial spirit,” noted the president of the Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists of Turkey (TUSKON), Rızanur Meral, in an interview with Bugün TV.

Horrific Torture Details Emerge In Turkey’s Capital, A Lawyer Reveals

“I feel totally ashamed as a jurist for gross human rights violations and heavy torture practices I have come to know while I was practicing my [lawyer] profession”. The lawyer asks not only his name be kept confidential but also his client for fear of their lives and negative repercussions for sharing details of torture.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Man campaigning for anti-Gülen protest in US Turkish Communist Party member

Abant Africa forum: Freedom of Speech and Respect to Sacred

Turkish Cultural Center reaches out to Syracuse community to share its unique culture

3,623 Aggravated Life Sentences Sought In Turkey For Scholar Fethullah Gülen

Hizmet movement and government

Officials involved in illegal deportation of Turkish teachers indicted by Kosovar court

Ramadan meal iftar helps Muslims break religious, cultural barriers with guests

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News