Reactions pour in over Turks’ controversial arrest in Malaysia as UN joins calls against extradition


Date posted: May 11, 2017

The UN Human Rights Office for South-East Asia has expressed serious concern about the recent arrests of three Turkish nationals in Malaysia, joining calls on the government to refrain from extradition.

“There are concerns that these men may have been targeted over their suspected links to the Gülen movement which is accused of being behind a coup attempt in Turkey in July 2016,” said Laurent Meillan, acting regional representative of the UN Human Rights Office in Bangkok.

Mr. Turgay Karaman, the principal of an international school in Ipoh, and Mr. Ihsan Aslan, a businessman, were detained by unidentified individuals in Kuala Lumpur on 2 May 2017. The Inspector-General of Police reportedly said that the two men were being held for activities that threaten the safety of Malaysia. The Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Home Affairs Mr. Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said that the men were being investigated under Malaysia’s Security Offences (Special Measures) Act 2012 (SOSMA) for alleged activities related to Islamic State (IS). Provisions under SOSMA permit authorities to detain individuals for up to 28 days before being brought to Court.

On 4 May 2017, Mr. Ismet Ozcelik – a university director also residing in Malaysia – was arrested on the same charges.

Previously, in October 2016, two other Turkish nationals were detained in Malaysia and were deported the following day. Both men were arrested upon their return to Turkey where they remain in detention without trial. “We are very concerned that the three men arrested this week may face the same fate as the other two individuals deported to Turkey last year,” said Meillan.

“We call on the Malaysian Government to ensure that the three men are given a fair trial in Malaysia and urge authorities not to extradite them as we have serious concerns regarding their safety if they are deported to Turkey,” Meillan said.

Source: Turkey Purge , May 7, 2017


Related News

Scandalous return of Feb. 28

Hizmet movement lent full support to the AK Party in connection with critical issues such as the lawsuits against Ergenekon — a clandestine organization nested within the state trying to overthrow or manipulate the democratically elected government — and the e-memorandum of April 27, 2007.

Kimse Yok Mu extends a hand to Syrian refugees in Turkey

Nearly 1.6 million Syrians have fled to Turkey, and they rely on support for their basic needs from the government and civilian volunteers, many of them motivated by their Muslim faith. Kimse Yok Mu is one Turkish nongovernmental aid organization that sponsors a refugee feeding program near the Turkish-Syrian border.

Turkish schools organize the biggest science olympiads of Indonesia

The biggest science olympiads of Indonesia organized by Indonesian Turkish schools get huge attention. 980 projects around the country were submitted to the olympiads for the competition, but only 178 of them made it to the finals. 356 students who made it to the finals received as much attention for their colorful attires as they did for their projects.

Likely case against Hizmet will bolster authoritarian character of Erdoğan gov’t

Rumors have it that the Erdoğan government will file criminal charges against people alleged to be associated with this “parallel structure,” a veiled reference by Erdoğan to the Hizmet movement, inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, that the government claims as the force driving the massive corruption investigations that have shaken the governing Justice and Development Party (AK Party).

The Guardian view on Turkey’s repression: stop this stalemate

Turkey’s western allies are alarmed, but against a complex geopolitical backdrop, they have chosen discretion rather than valour. After the EU parliament last week voted to freeze EU accession talks with Turkey, Mr Erdoğan lashed out by threatening to open the country’s borders to migrants heading to Europe. This is tantamount to blackmail.

Chronology of Dec. 17: The stones are settling into place…

İSTANBUL Dec. 17, 2013: On the morning of Dec. 17, Turkey wakes up to a bribery and corruption operation. Simultaneous operations in İstanbul and Ankara take place after an investigation that included allegations of land being opened up to illegal city zoning, bribery and money laundering. The operations, which are carried out on the orders […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Ramadan joy in 110 countries on 5 continents

Terrorism charges against Karaca do not make sense, CHP leader says

Kimse Yok Mu extends hand to Syrian refugees

Fethullah Gulen Criticizes the Da Vinci Code

Texas Senate passes resolution commending Fethullah Gülen

What is wrong with the Western media?

Refugees from Erdogan’s Turkey seek to make a new life in Germany

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News