Erdogan’s Purge Stretches All The Way To Pakistan


Date posted: December 5, 2017

Naeem Sahoutara

A Turkish family is rushing out to a weekend protest in this populous Pakistani city; outside the Karachi Press Club, Turkish residents release doves as a sign of peace; 25 Turkish teachers plea for safety in Pakistan. These Turkish families have lived here for over two decades, teaching at a network of international schools led by Fethullah Gülen, a moderate Islamic cleric from Turkey, who currently lives in the United States.

In the last 16 months, 28 Gülen schools and colleges across Pakistan have been shut down under pressure from the government in Ankara. Staff members now face deportation and some say they are feeling unsafe in Pakistan for the first time.

In July 2016, a failed coup attempt sent shock waves through Turkey. President Recep Tayyip Erdogan blamed the coup on Gülen, his rival, and on Gülen’s followers. In the coup’s wake, Erdogan strengthened his grip on power, cracking down on journalists, academics and real or perceived critics. Some 50,000 people were arrested and most are still detained.

“Journalists, activists, teachers, media workers have been prosecuted on allegations of being linked to Fethullah Gülen or the Gülenist movement,” explained Saroop Ijaz from Human Rights Watch Pakistan. “And there has been an absence of credible evidence to suggest widespread involvement or complicity of the people being prosecuted in Turkey by the present regime in the failed coup attempt,” he said.

At its height, the Gülen network had about 2000 schools around the world, teaching Gülen’s brand of Islam, which promotes charity and service. But critics say the schools also raised funds and increased the influence of Erdogan’s rival in Turkey.

After the attempted coup, Erdogan pressured foreign governments to shut down the Gülen schools and deport their staff. Pakistan complied and last November, 1,500 Turkish staff members were ordered to return to Turkey.

The wife of one teacher, identified as Ms. Gulmez, said she was afraid of what awaited them there. “There will be some kind of interrogation and maybe arrests because our names are on their list, as we also heard from our embassy,” she said.

They put all of us in one basket, though we are not violent.

The teachers have appealed the Pakistani government’s decision, stalling the deportation of 78 families, but they are awaiting final verdicts.

Gulmez maintains her innocence. “They put all of us in one basket because of the Gülen group, though we are not violent or mixed in this claimed coup,” she said. Some 300 people from 78 Turkish families have registered with the United Nations Refugee Agency and have been granted asylum for a year, until next November.

But Yilmaz’s husband, the teacher, says that has offered little safety. “We somehow felt safe in Pakistan, we lived here under the umbrella of the UNHCR,” he said. But that changed on Sept. 17, when it was reported that some families had been abducted from their homes. Since then, he said, “the people, the families, the ladies, the kids they feel they are not in safe place anymore.”

Mesut Kacmez, a deputy school principal, and his family were allegedly detained by the Pakistani security agencies in the eastern city of Lahore in September. Weeks later, they were deported to Turkey against their will.

Saroop Ijaz, a Human Rights Watch lawyer, says Pakistan has a duty to protect the teachers, instead of giving in to Turkey’s demands. Pakistan must not “put its international credibility and its compliance with international obligations at risk” in order to carry out the Turkish government’s political objectives, Ijaz says. “I think it’s completely unacceptable and also a violation of international law.”

Source: Worldcrunch , December 5, 2017


Related News

Turkey blacklists 68 companies including Germany’s Daimler, BASF over Gülen links

Turkey has named 68 companies as supporters of the Gülen movement, in a list sent to Germany’s federal police, according to Die Zeit weekly. The list included a Turkish fast food restaurant and a late-night food store, Die Zeit said.

Report: Gülen-linked media outlets sold to pro-gov’t media groups without tender

A number of TV and radio stations that were closed down by the government in the aftermath of a failed coup attempt on July 15 due to their links to the faith-based Gülen movement have been sold to the pro-government Turkuvaz Media Group without a tender.

Erdogan Budgets $150m To Displace Hizmet Schools In Africa

The motive behind Maarif Foundation is to use it as a tool to pressurize African countries to transfer ownership of Hizmet movement linked schools to the Maarif Foundation since the request for the closure of these schools were turned down for lacking in merit.

Parents of Nigerian-Turkish International College students decry call to close schools

Mr. Abudulahi, a professor, added that the schools were playing very significant role in the development of education in Nigeria and should not be closed. He said that the school was one of the most secured in the country, adding that even in the hit of Boko Haram activities in the North ast, it remained open in Yobe. He further added that so long as the NTIC had operated within the laws of Nigeria, it should be allowed to remain in operation.

Nigerian Turkish schools denies links to Turkey coup

The management of the Nigerian-Turkish International Colleges (NTIC) says the government of Turkey is insulting Nigeria by requesting the closure of its schools in the country.

Turkish minister: Gülen movement is worse than Nazis

Turkey’s European Union Minister Ömer Çelik on Monday portrayed the Gülen movement as being worse than the Nazis, saying the Nazis were like apprentices or primary school students in comparison to members of the movement.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Erdogan – Turkey’s desperate president

Kimse Yok Mu extends help to refugees trying to reach Europe

Should We Send A Man We Know Is Innocent To His Death Abroad?

Arınç calls Gülen’s extradition request a ‘political move’

Mosaic Foundation brings together Denver’s prominent people over a friendship dinner

Professor Ori Z. Soltes: ‘Fethullah Gülen wants to be an altruistic servant of others’

If you do not stand against injustice

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News