Pakistan’s Senate body to summon officials over missing Turkish family


Date posted: October 6, 2017

ISLAMABAD: The Senate Committee on Human Rights (HRs) on Thursday took up the issue of the disappeared Turkish family working for Pak-Turk Schools from Lahore and decided to summon relevant officials of federal and provincial governments in its next meeting.

The issue came up in the committee after the conclusion of the business of the day.

Senator Farhatullah Babar brought it up as ‘any other item with the permission of the Chair’ saying that the spectre of vanishing citizens had now extended to the disappearance of foreigners, and called for immediate parliamentary intervention.

The committee unanimously agreed, with some members suggesting that the victims’ families should also be invited. But it was decided that in the first instance, relevant officials be asked to brief the committee and provide answers to the questions arising out of the facts that have so far come to surface.

Farhatullah Babar has also submitted a ‘Calling Attention’ notice and a motion on the disappearance of Mesut Kacmaz and his family from Lahore on September 27. “The style and manner of kidnapping bear the signatures of all too familiar kidnappings brazenly taking place in the country with alarming impunity,” the notice said.

The Pak-Turk School network in Pakistan earned the state’s ire in the wake of the failed coup in Turkey and witnessed a massive crackdown recently, it said, adding that this background makes it even more urgent before a sinister narrative gains currency that the state itself might be involved.

Senator Mohsin Leghari said that Pakistan should not become a party to internal political wrangling in Turkey.

The meeting was presided over by Senator Nasreen Jalil to take up the agenda items including the Transgender Persons Protection of Rights Bill 2017, and payment of compensation to affectees released recently from Bagram Prison in Afghanistan referred to it by the Senate last month.

The meeting was also attended by Senators Nisar Muhammad Khan, Sitara Ayaz, Karim Ahmad Khawaja, Samina Saeed, Kalsoom Perveen, and Sehar Kamran and among Mohsin Leghari and Farhatullah Babar.

The issue of enforced disappearances is also listed on the agenda of the requisitioned session of Senate on September 10.

According to details, the Turkish family was picked up by over a dozen armed people in plain clothes, including women. Hooded and handcuffed, the family were bundled in a wagon and driven to a house.

Source: Pakistan Today , October 6, 2017


Related News

AKP official: Let sacked public servants eat tree roots

The Justice and Development Party’s (AKP) Isparta branch head, Osman Zabun, has said the civil servants who have recently been dismissed from state institutions over alleged links to the Gülen movement can go and “feed on tree roots” if they don’t want to starve to death.

Journalist Gültaşlı: European institutions are ‘cherry-picking’ imprisoned journalists in Turkey

“It is getting increasingly clear that European institutions are ‘cherry-picking’ the imprisoned journalists in Turkey for whom they want to protest,” wrote journalist Selçuk Gültaşlı, who was Brussels bureau chief for the Turkish Zaman newspaper, on the Brussels-based online news website euobserver.com on Tuesday.

Culture Day Celebrated In The Turkish Schools

MARAM ALABBASI The Turkish School celebrated Culture Day on 25 April in the capital, Sana’a. The event had many cultures represented, including the Pakistani, Indian, Turkish and Yemeni cultures. The Minister of Culture, Abdullah Aobal was present, along with several ambassadors. Turkish ambassador Fazli Corman told the audience that “cultural relations between the two countries […]

Turkey jails teacher to pressure husband into ‘confessing’

The latest victim of the Turkish government’s tactic of guilt by association with the purpose of blackmail is Semra Çakır, a 41-year-old teacher, and her 2-year-old daughter Zeynep Şura Çakır as part of its massive post-coup witch-hunt targeting alleged members of the Gülen movement.

Wife says dismissed police chief left to die of colorectal cancer in İzmir prison

Yavuz Bölek, a former police chief who was dismissed from his job following corruption probes implicating Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has colorectal cancer and will soon be paralyzed if he is not given medical attention. His requests for treatment have been ignored.

Outspoken lawyer barred from taking up Gulen-linked cases

Outspoken lawyer Kemal Ucar has been restrained from taking up defending people suspected of ties to the Gulen movement.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

School Children, Not Tools Of War: A Nigerian’s opinion on Gulen, Hizmet and Erdogan

Filipino-Turkish School of Tolerance Donates Beef in Feast of Sacrifice

Hizmet schools win 64 out of 120 TÜBİTAK medals despite gov’t pressure

Turkey’s looming prison massacre grows nearer

Tevere Institute organized an Iftar Dinner for Diplomats in Vatican

Fethullah Gulen issued the following statement on the Orlando shooting attack

Turkey’s ‘terrorists’ active in India. But who are they really?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News