Nazarbayev says Kazakh-Turk schools belong to Kazakhstan, no extradition of teachers


Date posted: September 14, 2017

Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev said on Thursday that Kazakh-Turk high schools that are allegedly linked to the faith-based Gülen movement belong to Kazakhstan and that Turkish teachers working at those schools will not be extradited to Turkey unless they are proven guilty of a crime.

Speaking during a press conference at the presidential palace in Astana, Nazarbayev said his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, had informed him several times about the schools and demanded that the teachers be extradited to Turkey, the Zamanaustralia.com websitereported.

Underlining that the teachers working at the schools in Kazakhstan are innocent until proven guilty, Nazarbayev said, “I told [Erdoğan] that I cannot do anything wrong against those teachers because they are not guilty here [in Kazakhstan].”

He also said that Turkish teachers working in Kazakh-Turk schools wrote letters to him saying they will be subjected to imprisonment, violence and torture if they are extradited to Turkey.

Nazarbayev further underlined that the schools were earlier transferred to a trust under the Kazakh education ministry and are not connected to US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who is accused by Erdoğan and the Turkish government of masterminding a failed coup in Turkey last year.

“Those [Turkish teachers] who are here [in Kazakhstan] are not guilty. If you [Turkey] present any evidence proving they are guilty, we can look into it by means of Kazakh institutions. We cannot jail innocent people or hand them over to you. I said that, and this is the deal. End of discussion,” he said.

A military coup attempt on July 15, 2016 killed 249 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with President Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Gülen, whose views inspired the movement, strongly denied having any role in the failed coup and called for an international investigation into it, but Erdoğan and the government initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Erdoğan also launched a witch-hunt against Gülen followers worldwide resulting in the extradition and detention of Gülen-linked teachers and businessmen and their families in several countries, including Malaysia, Myanmar, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Somalia.

 

Source: Turkish Minute , September 14, 2017


Related News

Hakan Şükür’s resignation blamed on lack of intra-party democracy

Şükür, a former international football player, left Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s ruling party in protest against the government’s plan to shut down exam preparatory schools, revealing the intra-party divisions below the surface. The resignation came after Şükür objected to the government proposal to close these schools, which help students prepare for university and high school admission exams.

NTIC Alumni urges Turkish govt not to close schools

No fewer than Three Thousand, Two Hundred (3200) Alumni members of Nigerian Turkish International Colleges (NTIC) have condemned plans by Turkish government to close down branches of their schools established in various parts of the country.

Fethullah Gulen: I am not hiding and not on the run

Sherko Hama Amin, a member of the Kurdistan Parliament’s Education Committee, told NRT that schools should not be shut down over political reasons, especially a political issue outside the region. The Turkish government has previously, even before the July 15 military coup attempt, called on the KRG to close schools connected to the Gulen movement in the region.

Chicago organization welcomes new scrutiny amid fallout of failed Turkish military coup

“The Hizmet movement has nothing to hide,” Alexander said. “We’re hoping people can learn more about it. Since Gulen is being accused of this, there will be greater scrutiny of the Hizmet movement, and we invite that scrutiny.”

49-member team to report to President Erdoğan on Gülen-linked trials

A group of 49 people, nine experts from Turkey’s State Inspection Council and 40 key advisers of President Tayyip Erdoğan, will closely monitor trials concerning the Gülen movement and submit reports to the president.

Graduation ceremony of the Turkish school in Senegal

Lancei Keita © Ebrunews, Senegal Every year the Turkish school complex Yavuz Selim organizes a ceremony of delivery of diplomes of its éléves in final year of high school. This year the évenement has corresponded at the fifteenth anniversary of the Turkish school in Senegal. In Senegal since 1997, the group Yavuz Sélim says itself Relieved […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Brazil court orders release of Gulen-linked businessman accused by Ankara of terrorism

Symposium concludes: Hizmet movement contributes to world peace

Parents protest demolition of Fatih College wall

Gov’t discriminates against Hizmet-affiliated private schools

Despite pressure, Pak-Turk schools won’t be shut

Gülen’s lawyer: Targeting overseas Turkish educators breaks law

Peace Islands Honors Noteworthy NJ Residents

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News