AKP turns medical university into its headquarters


Date posted: March 13, 2017

Şifa University, which was seized by the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government due to links to the Gülen movement, has been transformed into the AKP’s İzmir provincial headquarters.

The government appointed trustees to Şifa University in May 2016 and closed it down along with many other institutions on July 23, 2016 following a failed coup attempt on July 15.

According to the Sözcü daily, the inauguration ceremony of the new AKP headquarters in İzmir was attended by Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım over the weekend.

As part of a witch-hunt targeting the Gülen movement, which is accused by the government of masterminding a failed coup attempt on July 15, 2,099 schools, dormitories and universities have been seized.

Last month, one of the five largest sock companies in Turkey, Akın Çorap, which has an annual turnover of $50 million, was transferred to Turkey’s state-run Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) due to its alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement.

In a similar move in February, government appointed trustees to giant textile company the Aydınlı Group, the official representative of brands such as Cacharel, Polo US and Pierre Cardin in Turkey, and one of the largest baklava makers of the country, Güllüoğlu Baklava.

In January, an Ankara court ordered the seizure of all assets of Turkish businessman Akın İpek and his mother, Melek İpek, over their alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement.

On Oct. 24, 2015, the government appointed trustees to take over the management of dozens of companies belonging to the İpek family in addition to several media outlets operating under the İpek Media Group, due to their critical stance against the government.

Turkey has already confiscated some TL 12 billion (about $4 billion) in property that belonged to the İpek family as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement, according to a statement by Minister for Environment and Urbanization Mehmet Özhaseki on Sept. 1, 2016.


Related News

Şifa University rector says gov’t move to shut down hospitals won’t affect education (December 14, 2015)

Police raids Şifa University hospitals in gov’t-led intimidation operation, report says (December 14, 2015)

Source: Turkish Minute , March 13, 2017


Related News

Former Daimler chairman: Turkey’s purge reminds of me beginning of Nazi era

Edzard Reuter, the son of the first mayor of West Berlin Ernst Reuter and the former chairman of the German automaker Daimler-Benz, said Turkey’s post-coup purge recalls what happened during early years of Nazi regime at his home country.

‘Gülen movement challenges culture of competition’

TÜRKMEN TERZI, ANKARA The Gülen movement, a religious-based social movement with millions of followers in Turkey, is challenging the increasingly competitive philosophy based on marginalizing and outdoing others and offering new ways of looking at cooperation and working together, says Michael Samuel, dean of the Faculty of Education at the University of Kwa-Zulu Natal in […]

Mass firings in Turkey: ‘We have been given a social death sentence’

Some 134,000 people were fired after Turkey’s failed coup in 2016. Most are still jobless, forced to fight for healthcare and retirement benefits, and many suffer from post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Turkey detains Mozambican software developer over links to Gülen movement

Helton Silva Malambane, a software developer from Mozambique who previously worked with the now-shut-down Fatih University, was detained by police at his residence in İstanbul over links to the Gülen movement, whose sympathizers the government accuses of masterminding a failed coup attempt on July 15. Twenty-seven-year-old Malambane was detained after police received anonymous tips about him.

86-year-old man in 11th month of his arrest on coup charges

Ali Osman Karahan, an 86-year-old Turkish man with walking and speaking difficulties has been kept in an Isparta prison for almost 12 months over alleged links to Turkey’s Gülen group, which Turkish authorities accuse of being behind a failed coup attempt in July of last year.

Fethullah Gulen’s stance on democracy 1994-2016

Mr. Gulen has reiterated his clear stance on democracy, in the wake of the coup attempt in Turkey. Here is what he had said back in June 1994: “I believe, from now on, both in Turkey and in the rest of the world, there will we no going back from democracy.”

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Tanzanian students place first in Turkish Olympiad folk dance final

My Meeting With Fethullah Gülen, the Man Accused of Plotting Turkey’s Coup

Rumi Peace and Dialogue Awards given in Washington

Businessmen voice frustration over smear campaign against Hizmet

Turkish foundation drills 1,000 boreholes for Nigerian communities

Former Pakistani PM expresses gratitude for Turkish schools

Leaked emails reveal Erdoğan’s son-in-law’s team fabricated news against Gülen in US

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News