French court punishes death threats, attacks against Gülen sympathizers


Date posted: December 22, 2016

Following attacks and threats against Gülen movement sympathizers by Turks across Europe, a French court has handed down verdicts punishing two men for vandalizing an educational institution and sending death threats, the TR724 news portal reported on Friday.

After President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan mobilized citizens at home and abroad against the Gülen movement in the wake of a failed coup on July 15, labeling its sympathizers “terrorists’ and ‘traitors,” hate speech and criminal incidents targeting the movement took place in several European countries.

A man known only by the initials M.Y., who several times attacked educational and cultural centers managed by Gülen movement sympathizers, claimed that he was threatened by somebody who came to a mosque run by the Turkish-Islamic Union for Religious Affairs (DITIB), the overseas arm of Turkey’s Religious Affairs Directorate. However, the judge sentenced M.Y. to four months’ imprisonment, four months’ probation and 23,000 euros for the damage he caused.

Another man referred to the initials O.K. sent death threats to Gülen movement sympathizer M.K. on July 16 and 17, saying that people who kill people like M.K. would be rewarded both by the state and by God. He also told the Gülen sympathizer not to feel safe just because he lives in Europe.

Although O.K. insisted that somebody else had used his phone to send the texts, he was given a four months suspended sentence.

In September, President Erdoğan said, “No country, no region anywhere in the world, is a safe haven for FETÖ [an acronym the government has been using to refer to the Gülen movement] and militants,” during a press conference in İstanbul, in addition to his regular targeting of Gülen sympathizers.

Source: Turkish Minute , December 16, 2014


Related News

Gulen Slams Turkey Crackdown Before Erdogan Demands Extradition

The exiled cleric accused by Turkey of orchestrating last year’s attempted coup charged President Recep Tayyip Erdogan with seeking to silence critics, as the Turkish leader prepared to push for the preacher’s extradition in a White House meeting with Donald Trump.

Fethullah Gulen says will return to Turkey if US backs extradition

Calling for an international probe into the accusation, Gulen told ZDF that he would be ready to answer to such an investigation. “If their accusations stand, then I will accept what they want. But they have neither succeeded in showing any concrete proof nor given an answer to my suggestion. Therefore, these are all just mere assertions,” he said.

Peshawar High Court halts government order to deport Pak-Turk school staff

Petitioner counsel Qazi Muhammad Anwar argued that all the Turkish teachers are very peaceful people who have committed no crime in Turkey as well as here in Pakistan.” He prayed the bench to suspend the federal government’s notice and stop deportation of the Turkish teachers and their families. The bench accepted the request and restrained the deportation of Pak-Turk schools’ staff.

Pak-Turk Parents Association calls for immediate recovery of ex-principal, his family

The Pak-Turk Parents Association on Wednesday demanded an immediate release of the former principal of Pak-Turk School Mesut Kacmaz, who, along with his family, was reportedly kidnapped by unknown people from his residence in Wapda Town a little over two weeks ago.

Bosnian Schools Feel Heat From War on ‘Gulenists’

However, Vibor Handzic, head of the smaller Nasa Stranka party in the Sarajevo municipality of Stari Grad, said, “We must not accept the logic by which Erdogan’s regime can be both prosecutor and judge and may persecute people [in Bosnia] with no evidence,” Handzic said. Bosna Sema concedes that Gulen’s ideas inspired its founders but dismisses claims that it is linked to terrorism or to the failed coup.

Victim: We are being a subject to genocide

There’s a dramatic increase spotted in the number of victims of Erdoğan’s authoritarian regime in Turkey, aimed at extermination of the followers of so-called Hizmet Movement.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Lessons from Dec. 17: Who is parallel?

Why was I mistaken about political Islamism?

Crackdown on journalists leaves void in post-coup Turkey

Lawyers confirm: Turkish teachers are still in Kosovo

Detained woman, newborn baby transferred to prison 1,291 km away from home

Conspiratorial minds, authoritarian politics

Feds don’t see extradition for Turkish cleric [Mr. Gulen]

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News