Hate Crime: Lists of “Gulen pupils” circulating in Amsterdam


Date posted: September 1, 2016

Janene Pieters

Lists are circulating in Amsterdam containing the names of Turkish students in Amsterdam schools, with details on who supports Fethullah Gulen and Who Supports Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan, D66 faction leader Jan Paternotte revealed in an Amsterdam city council debate on Thursday, Het Parool reports. According to Paternotte, the list was also shared with the Turkish government. “Unacceptable behavior and interference”, the faction leader said.

The debate was about the rising tensions in the Turkish community in the city following an attempted coup in Turkey in June. The Turkish government blames Erdogan’s rival Gulen for the coup, leading to tensions between supporters of the two leaders.

Education alderman Simone Kukenheim knows about the list and informed the Public Prosecutor and police, who are investigating.

About 150 primary school students did not show up for school this week due to “intimidation and bullying” related to tensions in the Turkish community, Kukenheim said. The same goes for “several” high school students. “Parents feel intimidated by the Turkish government and the community here.”

The municipality deployed extra education inspectors to visit parents who are keeping their children home from school. A coordination center was also set up to help parents transfer their kids to other schools should they feel the need to. Kukenheim couldn’t say how many students were already transferred.

Source: NL Times , September 1, 2016


Related News

Wife of ‘Gülen school manager’ detained in Tbilisi asks for protection

The family of Mustafa Emre Çabuk, a manager at the Private Demirel College who was detained in Tbilisi on Turkey’s request, is asking for protection from Georgia’s State Security Service, after receiving several threats on social media with Turkish names.

Detained Gülen school director to ask for asylum to avoid extradition

A detained Gülen school official is asking for asylum in Georgia in order to avoid extradition to Turkey, where he may face brutal and inhumane treatment, according to his lawyers. Georgia detained Mustafa Emre Cabuk in May. He is one of the managers of Demirel private schoool in Tbilisi.

Gülen conference in London

HÜSEYİN GÜLERCE Though the national agenda is stuck in debates over terrorism and a cross-border operation, I’d like to open a parenthesis and touch upon a historic conference held last week in London. Forty-nine scholars from various universities around the world addressed an audience during this three-day international academic conference, which kicked off at the […]

İstanbul municipality tears down part of school in midnight operation

The İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality sent teams in the early hours of Tuesday morning to the private Fatih College in the Merter neighborhood to demolish the wall of the school as well as a security cabin in the school’s courtyard.

Parents react to auditor, police raid of Hizmet-inspired school

In yet another government-backed operation targeting the Gülen movement (Hizmet movement), four tax inspectors from the Finance Ministry and a number of police officers conducted a raid on Saturday at a private school affiliated with the movement in the southern province of Adana, leading to protests from parents of the school’s students.

Nigeria won’t allow mistreatment of her students by Turkey – Presidency

According to Dabiri-Erewa: “The Federal Government is taking the detention of Nigerian students by Turkish authorities seriously. It seems that Turkey is trying to get at Nigeria for our failure to close down the 17 schools they requested. The government did not close down these schools because their owners and managers, who are private people have not breached Nigerian laws.”

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

‘African wave’ makes splash at İstanbul summit

Post-coup purge in Turkey leaves children parentless after mother and father are put behind bars

‘I see the Hizmet movement as the best expression of Islam’

17 Percent Students Of Nile University Are On Scholarship

Gülen appeals for steadfastness against gov’t ban on prep schools [in Turkey]

GYV warns on provocative remarks, urges respect for peaceful protests

Turkish journalist at daily Bugün is threatened

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News