Turkish evidence for Gulen extradition pre-dates coup attempt


Date posted: August 19, 2016

Karen DeYoung

Turkey’s request for U.S. extradition of self-exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen refers only to his alleged activities before last month’s failed coup attempt, for which the Turks have not yet provided any evidence of his involvement, a senior administration official said.

“It’s actually tied to allegations of certain alleged criminal activities that pre-date the coup,” the official said of the request now being examined by the Justice Department. “At this point, Turkish authorities have not put forward a formal extradition request based on evidence that he was involved in the coup attempt.”

Turkey has blamed Gulen’s followers for orchestrating the attempted toppling of the government, and has arrested tens of thousands of alleged sympathizers in purges of the military, the judiciary and the media, even as it has closed down hundreds of schools and business enterprises operated by alleged Gulen backers. Gulen, who lives in Pennsylvania, is a permanent U.S. resident.


“At this point, Turkish authorities have not put forward a formal extradition request based on evidence that he was involved in the coup attempt.”


Amid rising bilateral tensions, Turkey has said that its future relationship with the United States will be influenced by the outcome of the extradition request. Turkey, in addition to its membership in NATO, is a key U.S. ally in the fight against the Islamic State.

“Sooner or later, the U.S. will make a choice. Either Turkey or FETO,” Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said last week, referring to Gulen. He said he assumed the United States would “send him back.”

Turkish media and some government officials have suggested that the United States backed the coup attempt, which the Obama administration has sharply denied.

U.S. officials, beginning with President Obama, have said that they have no control over the extradition process. “Professional experts at the Department of Justice are looking over” the information provided by Turkey, said the senior administration official, who spoke on the White House-imposed condition of anonymity.

The official, who briefed reporters on a trip that Vice President Biden will make to Turkey next week, said that U.S. officials are “working alongside their Turkish counterparts to make sure we understand” everything contained in the evidence, and a Justice team will travel to Turkey “in the coming days.”

“If there is probable cause for extradition,” the official said, “ultimately a court will determine whether the evidence is sufficient. . . . We are still a ways down the line from even knowing whether that’s possible.” Officials have said that even if the Justice Department decides extradition is warranted, a court case and possible appeals could take years.

Asked what message Biden would impart to Erdogan, the official said he would “remind the Turkish people that the United States came out emphatically and immediately condemned” the coup attempt.

“I know that there has been some allegations and conspiracy theories” in Turkey of U.S. involvement, said the official, who called such talk “unhelpful.”

“As the vice president would say, all of that’s malarkey, and I think we’ll make that clear during the meetings and during engagements with the Turkish people.”

Source: The Washington Post , August 19, 2016


Related News

Biden says US courts to decide on Gülen’s extradition

In a development that surprised many, the US State Department said on Tuesday that Turkey has formally requested the extradition of Gülen but not on issues related to the recent coup attempt, which Turkish leaders have accused him of inspiring.

Iftar Dinner at Manhattan’s Riverside Church

Islands Institute New York, The Riverside Church, Union Theological Seminary and Interfaith Center of New York organized a wonderful Iftar Dinner at the Riverside Church. The Iftar had more than 250 guests from very diverse cultures and religions. The program began with a welcome speech by Reverend Chloe Breyer and representatives of each organization.

Islamic scholar Gülen offers condolences to ferry victims

Prominent Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who also inspired the faith-based Hizmet movement, issued a message of condolence to the families of victims who were killed when a ferry sank off in South Korea, leaving more than 300 missing or dead.

Gülen’s speech broadcast live for first time after website banned

A speech by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who lives in Pennsylvania in self-imposed exile, was broadcast live on YouTube and a number of stations for the first time on Sunday, after Turkey’s state-controlled Internet watchdog blocked access to herkul.org, a website that previously was used to broadcast his speeches.

Calgary man accused of helping plot Turkish coup

The photo that reportedly shows Hanci with Gulen is not actually Hanci. Hanci works as an imam for Corrections Canada and Alberta Government Correctional Services, according to Malik Muradov, executive director of the Intercultural Dialogue Institute of Calgary, who added that he also volunteers much of his time to the Turkish community.

Islamic scholar Gülen calls for calm among supporters

Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has called on his supporters to remain calm and be patient in the wake of rumors that Istanbul police were planning to start an operation to round up hundreds of people close to his movement. Gülen called for patience and calm among the relatives of those who are being probed or expecting probes against them, advising them to pray and read the Quran.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

False reports on Bank Asya breach laws

Another woman detained on coup charges one day after giving birth

No evidence Gulen movement is guilty of subversive activities

Turkish FM Babacan visits Turkish high school in Tajikistan

No return from democracy, Zaman editor Dumanlı says under detention

Turkey purge victims unable to find jobs, leave country

Turkey’s Gulen supporters flee to Greece – BBC World

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News