New Level of Witch Hunt: Relatives are Targeted in Turkey


Date posted: August 18, 2016

Dudu Cakir
86-year-old mother

On July 26, Turkish police stormed the house of Muhammet Cakir, a lawyer wanted for arrest on coup charges. Failing to find the lawyer at home, they detained his 86-year-old mother to force her son to surrender. She has been kept as hostage since.

Bulent Korucu
Editor-in-Chief, Yarina Bakis

Bulent was the editor-in-chief ot Yarina Bakis daily until Turkish government shut it down in the post-coup crackdown. Now, he is wanted for arrest. On July 30, Turkish authorities detained his wife, Hacer Korucu, as a hostage until her husband surrenders. After 10 days in detention, Hacer has been arrested on August 9.

Gendarmerie searches house of Hakan Sukur
Former MP and Turkish Football Star

Gendarmerie forces have searched the house of former Turkish international footballer and former MP Hakan Şükür in the Kandıra district of the northwestern province of Kocaeli, as a part of investigations into the failed July 15 coup attempt.

A detention warrant has been issued for Şükür, who is accused of being a member of the faith-based Gülen Movement. The government accuses the movement of masterminding the coup attempt although the movement denies any involvement.

Hakan Sukur’s father Selmet Sukur has been taken into police custody on August 12 and still detained in custody.

The search was carried out as a part of the probe launched by the Sakarya Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office over the failed takeover bid, Doğan News Agency reported on Aug. 16.

Earlier, police arrested the father of Şükür as it failed to reach the former star.

Şükür played for Istanbul side Galatasaray and was capped 112 times for the Turkish national team. He also had stints abroad for Inter Milan, Parma and Blackburn Rovers.

Source: Social Port , Aug 17, 2016


Related News

66,000 students relocated after Turkish government shut down 15 universities over coup charges

Turkish government has closed down 15 universities across the country over their alleged links to the Gulen movement since last summer, leading 66,000 students to look for somewhere else to continue their education.

The Mystery of Turkey’s Failed Coup

In my research, I have been on the inside living with his followers while teaching English at one of the schools. Religion is not taught. It is not in the curriculum. The idea that these are jihadist madrases, or that Gülenists are extremists or terrorists is beyond absurd as anyone who knows them will attest.

Alleging Gülen supported coups is huge distortion of truth

24 April 2012 / TODAY’S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL The Journalists and Writers Foundation released a statement on Tuesday in response to various allegations circulating in the media that Fethullah Gülen, a well-respected Turkish Islamic scholar, supported the Feb. 28, 1997 unarmed intervention, dismissing such claims as a major distortion of the truth. The statement, posted on […]

The Guardian view on Turkey’s repression: stop this stalemate

Turkey’s western allies are alarmed, but against a complex geopolitical backdrop, they have chosen discretion rather than valour. After the EU parliament last week voted to freeze EU accession talks with Turkey, Mr Erdoğan lashed out by threatening to open the country’s borders to migrants heading to Europe. This is tantamount to blackmail.

Turkey bans math textbooks due to questions including Gülen’s initials

Turkey’s paranoia over the Gülen movement has reached new heights with the government banning mathematics textbooks due to questions involving the initials of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

European rights body says Turkey violated own constitution in post-coup crackdown

Council of Europe says Erdogan government violated both Turkey’s own constitution and international law in reaction to failed July coup.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish school in Romania moves to new building

Poconos-Based Muslim Preacher Addresses Catholic-Muslim Dialogue Conference

Top judge, paralysed after cancer surgery, under arrest at hospital

Erdoğan’s efforts to destroy the Gulen movement aimed at consolidating his own power and regime

Why do they lie about Fethullah Gülen?

O.C. Muslim leaders speak out against extremism

The work of peace

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News