Complainant says he was ‘fooled,’ apologizes to suspects in trial targeting Gülen followers


Date posted: April 16, 2016

Thirteen suspects who were detained as part of an operation targeting followers of the Gülen movement in the central province of Sivas were released after the complainant in the case apologized to them at court and withdrew his complaint, saying he was “forced” by some to launch the case.

The rotahaber.com news website reported on Friday that the first hearing in a trial that was launched against members of the Gülen movement, inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, was held at the Sivas 2nd High Criminal Court on Thursday.

According to the report, the complainant in the case, told the court that he withdraws his complaint. “Mr. Judge, these men cannot be either a thief or a terrorist. They [unidentified outside figures] fooled me and forced me to sign a document. They told me that these people [the suspects] had fooled me and used my land for commercial purposes,” he told the judge.

The man then turned his face to the suspects and said: “Forgive me, you have been jailed for four months for nothing because of me.”

The complainant, who had reportedly donated his land to followers of the movement for educational purposes, said he withdraws the case. “These people are innocent. If they ask me to donate a land today, I would do as well,” he added.

The court ruled to release all suspects in the case after the complainant’s statements.

The trial in Sivas is one of dozens of ongoing cases targeting members of the faith-based movement, which has pioneered educational activities but in Turkey and abroad.

The cases are carried out as part of the government’s fight with the “parallel state,” a term coined by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in December 2013 to refer to people believed to be inspired by the ideas of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, especially those within the state bureaucracy.

Since a corruption investigation that implicated figures close to the government, as well as government members themselves, came to public attention on Dec. 17, 2013, there have been many similar police operations carried out targeting shopkeepers, teachers, members of the judiciary, journalists and police officers who are accused of being affiliated with the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement. The graft probe implicated then-Prime Minister Erdoğan, members of his family and senior Justice and Development Party (AK Party) figures.

Erdoğan accused the Gülen movement of plotting to overthrow his government and said sympathizers of the movement within the police department had fabricated the graft scandal. Since then, hundreds of police officers have been detained and some arrested for alleged illegal activity during the course of the investigation. Erdoğan said he would carry out a “witch hunt” against anyone with links to the movement.

Source: Turkish Minute , April 15, 2015


Related News

Gülen: purge of public officials seems ‘arbitrary’

The Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who has inspired the popular civic and social Hizmet (Service) movement, has said that the reassignment of thousands of public officials from their posts without any disciplinary procedures following the Dec. 17, 2013 corruption scandal seems to have been conducted on an arbitrary basis.

Erdoğan Is Destroying Turkey’s Hopes for Democracy

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s extra-legal roundup of scores of presumed supporters of the failed July 15 coup against his government is quickly taking its place in modern history alongside Stalin’s purges and China’s Cultural Revolution.

Criminal complaint filed against prosecutor accusing Hizmet of being terrorist

A criminal complaint has been filed against Ankara public prosecutor Serdar Coşkun, who prepared an indictment in which by using false testimonies as evidence he accused several people of conducting organized crime under the Hizmet movement which he claimed to be a terrorist organization.

With happy life left behind, hardship awaits us as exiled family

Determined to fight back and continue with his honorable work, I’m proud of my husband who has raised his voice in the face of injustice and amid threats. This, I believe, is worthwhile despite our grief and hardship in the short run. The prime minister who did this to us, however, will be remembered in history as a leader who sent a family to exile for a simple tweet.

Strategic defamation by Stratfor

Abdulhamit Bilici, March 18, 2012 (originally published on September 2, 2010) A few weeks ago, an American researcher by the name of Reva Bhalla came to visit us upon a reference from a good friend of ours. He told us that he was researching political inclinations in Turkey on behalf of the Stratfor intelligence firm. […]

Fenerbahçe’s Yıldırım calls on fans to attend protest

“We consider the dissemination … of wiretaps of Fethullah Gülen Hocaefendi’s conversations an operation, and we condemn and refuse to accept these kinds of activities,” Yıldırım said. Gülen filed criminal complaints over the illegal wiretaps and against the media outlets and websites that published the distorted voice recordings in an attempt to defame the scholar.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkey’s Koç: I met with Gülen; there is nothing wrong with that

Kurdish initiative should not be suspended by provocative acts

US prosecutor denies any links to Gülen, says never set foot in Turkey

New constitution must bear spirit of Abant

When Iconic Islamic scholar wins prestigious peace award

Kanter: I was excluded from Turkey squad due to my beliefs

Diagonal Dialogue from Turkey to Senegal

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News