Gülen’s lawyer denies Turkish schools working against host nations

A Turkish school in Mali. (Photo: Cihan, Abdülhamit Durmuş)
A Turkish school in Mali. (Photo: Cihan, Abdülhamit Durmuş)


Date posted: November 25, 2014

Lawyer of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has categorically rejected claims made by the Turkish president that schools opened by sympathizers of the Gülen movement in Africa are working against host nations.

Last week, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan warned African countries against a “threat” from “dangerous structures that look like nongovernmental organizations or education volunteers,” referring to the volunteers of the Gülen movement, saying that his administration is ready to cooperate with African governments against such structures.

Gülen’s Lawyer Nurullah Albayrak rejected the accusations in a written statement on Tuesday, describing the attacks as “hate speech and discrimination” against Gülen and volunteers of the movement. “It should be known crystal clear that neither Fethullah Gülen nor anyone having sympathy to him has never involved in any illegal activity against Turkey or other countries,” Albayrak stated.

The “parallel structure” is a term invented by Erdoğan to refer to followers of the Gülen movement, particularly followers within the state bureaucracy. He made the elimination of the so-called parallel structure a priority after a major corruption scandal involving people in his inner circle erupted with a wave of detentions on Dec. 17, 2013. The president, who was then prime minister, framed the corruption investigation as a “plot against his government” by the Gülen movement and foreign collaborators.

Turkish schools affiliated with the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet, have been opened around the world over the past several years, including in many countries in Africa. A charity group that is affiliated with the movement, Kimse Yok Mu, was also active on the continent until its license to collect donations was rescinded in Turkey, apparently as part of the government’s fight against the “parallel structure.” The Council of State halted the decision this week.

“We hope that heads of state and government will be more alert regarding these organizations, which create clandestine structures in every country they operate in and whose spying activities have lately become more visible,” Erdoğan said at the 2nd Turkey-Africa Partnership Summit in the capital of Equatorial Guinea, Malabo.

The lawyer said it is impossible to justify such “illogical” statements with democracy and universal values, adding that participants of the Gülen movement, with their contributions to trade and educational activities between Turkey and host nations gained the sympathy of the countries they are located. Gülen’s lawyer challenged Erdoğan to prove his claims. He said allegations against Gülen movement’s education and relief activities are not only true, but also libelious.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 25, 2014


Related News

Gov’t steps up campaign against Hizmet via terrorism accusations

The government has intensified its campaign against the Hizmet movement, a civil society initiative inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s teachings promoting interfaith dialogue, peace and tolerance, by putting Gülen on a list of wanted terrorists despite the move lacking any legal basis.

Volunteer doctors from Turkey save lives in Somalia

Turkish doctors going to Somalia with the international relief organization Kimse Yok Mu (a Hizmet Movement organization) are the hope of thousands of Somalians these days. In the midst of civil war and famine tens of thousands of people struggle with countless diseases. In this country with ~2,800,000 immigrants and with an inadequate health and […]

Moldova Rights Activists Target Erdogan at Football Match

Moldovan rights activists used a football match with Turkey on Tuesday to stage a brief protest against the highly controversial extradition to Turkey in 2018 of seven teachers.

Turkey’s post-coup crackdown moves overseas

In several cases, Turkey has offered to run the seized institutions, although it is expected to face legal challenges. Kimse Yok Mu, which had more than 200,000 volunteers in 100 countries before being forcibly closed after the coup attempt, is understood to be preparing to take the decision to international courts. Joshua Hendrick, an expert on the Gulen movement said Ankara faced a big challenge when it came to stepping into the shoes of its former allies.

Governor’s office rejects Kimse Yok Mu’s application for aid campaign

The İstanbul Governor’s Office has rejected an application by the Kimse Yok Mu charity to conduct an aid campaign to help the families of victims killed in terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) attacks.

A Festival of Dialogue Exploring Multiculturalism and Language Diversity

At a dialogue festival in South Africa, teenagers embraced true multiculturalism and helped the author to envision a new world – one of harmony, respect, and engagement

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Aid organization head blasts terror probe

Mr. Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences for Rev. Billy Graham

Zaman Arabic aims to be online paper of reference

‘Erdoğan to take action against Hizmet after restructuring judiciary’

Deputy Bal says did not resign from AK Party on anyone’s orders

Hizmet movement has no political ambitions

Baseless allegations damage publicly traded firms

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News