Gov’t discriminates against Hizmet-affiliated private schools

Fatih Koleji (Istanbul)
Fatih Koleji (Istanbul)


Date posted: September 4, 2014

ONUR KAFALI / ANKARA

Some private schools affiliated with the Hizmet movement, a faith-based social movement inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, have been prevented from accessing government incentives.

According to an official list published by the Education Ministry on Monday, many high-achieving private schools did not make the cut to be eligible for financial aid from the government.

The government announced earlier that it will provide cash credits ranging from TL 2,550 to TL 3,550 per student but limited the number of schools that can benefit from this incentive program.

It turns out that many schools affiliated with Hizmet were not on the government list, indicating that the government of Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu is keen to put pressure on the movement, which has been critical of the government regarding rampant corruption, weak accountability and low transparency in governance.

Hinting that the private schools kept out of the list are linked to the Hizmet movement, Chairman of the Active Educators’ Union (Aktif Eğitim-Sen) Osman Bahçe said, “The Ministry of Education selectively discrimination against private schools which are very popular among parents as a result of their performance.”

“While some Hizmet-affiliated schools are on the list, some others that are in high demand by parents are not,” he added.

While serving as prime minister, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan repeatedly called on his supporters not to attend schools connected to the movement. In public rallies, he asked parents to pull their kids out of these schools if they were already enrolled in them.

Bülent Altın, deputy general manager of the private Yamanlar School network in İzmir, confirmed that none of their schools are on the ministry’s list even though they applied for each of the schools in their network.

He said they have been examining the issue and will issue a statement after talking to government officials to find out exactly what happened.

Yamanlar Schools are known as some of the best achieving schools in Turkey as verified by the stellar performance its students have shown in the ultra-competitive university entrance exams as well as at the International Science Olympics.

In addition to Yamanlar, the private Atlantik Schools and some branches of Samanyolu Schools were also not on the list of those eligible for incentives.

The officials of Anafen Schools, serving in 17 different locations, and Coşkun Schools, which have four kindergartens, five primary schools, five secondary schools and three high schools in its network are among the schools that were kept out of the list in İstanbul.

The parents of students who were granted credits for private education filed petitions with the government to challenge the list so that they can send their children to the school of their choice.

It was also interesting that the private Celal Değer Koleji Primary School, the only private primary school in Siirt province, also did not make the list.

The principle of the school, Abdurrahman Dülger, said, “A total of 190 students that were qualified for incentives will not be able take advantage of this unless our school is put on the list.” The number of applications for incentives also fell short of expectations. Even though the Ministry targeted some 250,000 student applications for the financial incentive, the total number of applications remained at 180,000.

Source: Today's Zaman , September 02, 2014


Related News

Pakistani Education Minister hails Turkish schools

The minister said the schools active in his country offer an excellent education model. “My fellow citizens have embraced these schools,” he said. Speaking of the long-established, brotherly relations between Turkey and Pakistan, “I can explain these heart to heart relations in many ways. We can feel the love from whoever comes here from Turkey. It is hard to put in words. This is brotherhood, this is friendship,” Rahman said.

The tragic echoes of Turkey’s anti-Gülen campaign in Turkmenistan

Ahmet, 27, agrees. He says that, when studying at a Gülen school, “for the first time we saw teachers caring for us. They were prepared to do more than to teach. They were making an extra effort for us, showing exemplary behaviour, such as rushing to help when a school boy got sick, finding medicine for him.

Guinea-Bissau minister pay visit to Turkish school

Alfredo Gómez, Guinea-Bissau Education Minister visited International Ufuk College, one of the Turkish schools in the country established by entrepreneurs affiliated with the Hizmet movement.

I Weep For Turkey

It has been the same topic of discourse everywhere. And it won’t stop anytime soon because of the atrocities that have followed, all in the name of sanitising the country and arresting masterminds of the phantom coup. The news coming out of Turkey has been really disturbing to many, and equally baffling to the world.

Another woman faces detention at hospital just after giving birth

Elif Coşkun, who just gave birth on Monday night in Turkey’s western province of İzmir, will reportedly be taken into custody at the hospital due to her links to the faith-based Gülen movement, according to an opposition deputy.

Turkish PM Erdoğan launches another war [in Turkey]

Turkey’s Islamic camp is more diverse than one would think. In fact, the traditions that Erdoğan and Gülen come from have almost always been distinct and different from each. The former has been more explicitly Islamist, at times anti-Western and anti-Semitic. The latter, the line of Gülen, which goes back to scholar Said Nursi (1878-1960), has rather stayed closer to center-right parties and have been more friendly to the West and also other “Abrahamic” faiths.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gülen’s prospects for inter-religious dialogue

Another ‘coup suspect’ found dead in Turkish prison, bringing total to 21

Gulen-linked school manager released on bail by Tbilisi court

Turks mobilize to join solidarity campaign for Bank Asya

Concluding statement of the International panel on Mary announced

Journalist Karaca sentenced to 31 years for slandering al-Qaeda-affiliated group

Test of Turkish society

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News