Decision to build road on school grounds nonsensical, say parents

Construction has begun on a road that will cut through the campus of Fatih College despite the presence of wide, open lots surrounding the school. (Photo: Today's Zaman)
Construction has begun on a road that will cut through the campus of Fatih College despite the presence of wide, open lots surrounding the school. (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: August 29, 2014

Following the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality and Güngören Municipality’s decision to build a road within the courtyard of a private school affiliated with the Hizmet movement this week, the school management made a statement on Friday, saying that the parents of students at the school find the decision nonsensical.

Merter Fatih Koleji, a private high school that has been serving the community for 20 years, said in an official statement that the destruction of the school courtyard by the road is against the public good.

The statement read that the school building had been transferred from the Private Şener High School in 1995 and its courtyard had been used until 2000. Due to changes to the municipality’s road plans, the space has become smaller and the municipality has built a new wall for the courtyard.

According to some parents of students at Merter Fatih Koleji, a successful school whose students have won awards in national and international competitions, it is “nonsensical” to destroy a school courtyard to build a road.

The school also noted that it has paid all its dues to the municipality on time and in full.

The Bolu Municipality, having previously closed down two schools belonging to businesspeople affiliated with the faith-based Hizmet movement in early July, has also constructed a road inside the garden of a Fatih Koleji despite the fact that the school is surrounded by empty plots of land and no residential area exists around the school. The closed schools are close to the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

In May, Erdoğan publicly advised Justice and Development Party (AK Party) supporters not to send their children to schools affiliated with the Hizmet movement. “We will not even give water to them [Hizmet members],” he vowed.

More recently, Erdoğan ordered officials at AK Party-run municipalities to seize land and buildings belonging to the Hizmet movement by any means.

The closure of two Hizmet-affiliated schools in Bolu in July followed similar moves in other parts of Turkey. In early June, the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality stopped the construction of an education complex on privately owned land on the pretext that the land would be used as a green area and meeting point in the event of an earthquake. The municipality, however, failed to obtain the required approval from other authorities in the province to halt the construction of the education complex. They said the complex belonged to Fetih Eğitim İşletmeleri (Fetih Educational Operations), which has close ties to the Hizmet movement.

The municipality, also in July, removed a sign advertising the Fem prep school, which helps students prepare for their university entrance exams, in İstanbul’s Mecidiyeköy neighborhood. The real reason behind the municipality’s decision was said to be because Fem is affiliated with the Hizmet movement.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 29, 2014


Related News

Pro-gov’t daily claims White House held special session on Gülen

Pro-government Turkish daily Takvim claimed in a Friday report that the White House held a special session on Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who is based in the US, in September 2014.

Parents slam Pak-Turk Schools possible handover to Maarif Foundation

Parents of students of Pak-Turk schools and colleges blasted the Pakistan government for handing over the education system to a Turkish nonprofit organization called Maarif Foundation. They said that the schools and colleges would suffer if handed-over to the “poorly-equipped and infamous” Maarif Foundation.

Astana says Gulen-linked schools to remain

The Ministry of Education of Kazakhstan said in a statement on July 30 that the Turkish schools linked to Fetullah Gülen, who allegedly led failed coup attempt in Turkey according to the President Erdogan, will remain on the territory of the Central Asian nation. The statement followed the Friday warning of Turkey’s ambassador to Kazakhstan.

Turkey’s Gulen Demand – The U.S. shouldn’t extradite the exiled Turk without better evidence

Turkey is demanding that the U.S. extradite Fethullah Gulen whom Ankara accuses of orchestrating this month’s failed military coup. “The evidence is crystal clear,” PM Yildirim told the Journal Tuesday, adding that Washington’s request for evidence of Mr. Gulen’s guilt is superfluous “when 265 people have been killed.” If that’s Mr. Yildirim’s standard of proof, Washington should deny the request.

Russian scholar: Gülen promotes peaceful education for a world mired in conflict

Prominent Russian scholar Professor Rostislav Ribakov has praised US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen for the schools opened around the world by his supporters, saying that these schools are bringing up a new generation of students who uphold world peace.

Turkish school in Philippines partners in a social project

The project aims to rehabilitate the regions academically and socially lagging behind the rest and assist children’s education in particular. Inaugurating the project, an event took place seeing the attendance of International Fountain Schools general manager Malik Gencer, The Philippines Turkish Chamber of Commerce Irfan Karabulut, Pacific Dialog’s president for Philippines Cihangir Arslan and The Philippine Gendarmerie’s commander for civic operations Colonel Arnulfo Marcelo B. Burgos alongside numerous commanders and NGO officials.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Yamanlar Koleji crowns Turkey with second gold medal

ALDE’s Watson says illiberal state leads to unjust action against Gülen followers

Global education turns Turkish teachers into world citizens

Minister Çelik supports Gülen’s call for Alevi-Sunni brotherhood

The Muslim Martin Luther? Fethullah Gulen Attempts an Islamic Reformation

Pineapple republic!

Destici: No one should attempt to change law to save themselves

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News