Alleged Hizmet link in Hablemitoğlu murder a lie, says widow

Prof. Dr. Şengül Hablemitoğlu
Prof. Dr. Şengül Hablemitoğlu


Date posted: August 2, 2014

The wife of murdered academic Necip Hablemitoğlu has said a recent attempt to establish a connection between the assassination of her husband and the Hizmet movement is an effort to turn her against the movement.

Şengül Hablemitoğlu, the widow of Necip Hablemitoğlu, a professor of history known for his Kemalist stance and opposition to gold mining who was killed in 2002, spoke to the Vatan daily on Wednesday. She discussed veiled attempts by government-controlled media to suggest that the Hizmet movement is behind her husband’s murder. Some newspapers have claimed that she has made statements suggesting that the murder might be linked to Hizmet, a religiously inspired civil society movement in Turkey.

She told Vatan that she has never made any such allegations, and noted that the quotation attributed to her was taken out of context from an earlier statement. The real issue, she said, is that her husband’s murder has been awaiting a thorough investigation for 12 years.

Necip Hablemitoğlu was killed outside his Ankara home on Dec. 18, 2002. Ergenekon, a crime network that has links within the state and has attempted to topple the government, is suspected of having masterminded the murder. Ergenekon trial suspect Osman Yıldırım had claimed that Osman Gürbüz — another suspect — had carried out the murder after being contracted by Ergenekon suspects Veli Küçük and Muzaffer Tekin.

Durmuş Anuçin, another Ergenekon suspect who was tried for five counts of murder, has said he committed the murder in collaboration with İbrahim Çiftçi, who died in a bomb explosion in İzmir in 2006.

The Hablemitoğlu murder investigation ended without reaching a conclusion. Earlier this week, the Akşam daily reported that the Ankara Prosecutor’s Office is now reopening the case.

Government-controlled media have implied that Hizmet, a movement increasingly hated by the government since the exposure of alleged government corruption in December of last year, is behind the murder. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has stated that the graft allegations against his inner circle are part of an attempt to overthrow the government and has accused a “parallel structure” — a term he uses to denote Hizmet — of being behind it.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 01, 2014


Related News

Six Turks arrested in Kosovo over Gulen links extradited to Turkey

Six Turkish nationals arrested in Kosovo over links to schools financed by the Fethullah Gulen movement that Ankara blames for a failed 2016 coup have been extradited to Turkey.

Prominent businessman Akın İpek pledges huge support to Kimse Yok Mu

A huge support campaign has grown to back Kimse Yok Mu after the recent Cabinet decree which banned the charity’s ability to accept public donations without government approval. Koza İpek Holding Chairman Akın İpek has donated 1000 animals for Eid al-Adha, the Feast of the Sacrifice.

Massachusetts Judges Express Fears Over Arrests, Firings Of Judges In Turkey

Former Justice Robert Cordy is worried sick about the fate of the judges he helped train in Turkey and here in Boston. They have been fired, jailed, or gone missing. “It’s devastating,” he said. “I don’t think anything has ever devastated me more than seeing this happen to people that I have come to know, love, respect. It is just beyond the pale.”

Woman miscarried twins in prison, dead bodies not returned to family

The 28-year-old Nurhayat Yildiz miscarried her twins in prison and the dead bodies of her babies were not returned to any of her family members.

AKP official: Torture claims won’t be investigated if victims are Gülenists

A Justice and Development Party (AKP) deputy has said there will be no investigations into claims of torture and mistreatment of people put into prison after a July 15 coup attempt if those victims are sympathizers of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Once They were Brothers – Bir Zamanlar Kardeştiler

Kanter himself has faced legitimate threats from Erdoğan’s government. In 2017, Kanter escaped Turkish agents in Indonesia while working at a basketball camp for his foundation. He was detained in Romania for several hours and Turkish authorities had already cancelled his passport, making him a stateless man. Eventually, he was able to return to the United States, but not without a Turkish arrest warrant and a four-year prison sentence.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish schools help to enhance trade relations with Africa

Turkish schools bridge between Vietnam and Turkey

GYV announces the third international family policy conference

Exiled journalist discusses crisis in Turkey

Kimse Yok Mu to build 4 schools in Sudan

Students, Parents Protest Over Afghan-Turk Schools’ Transfer To Maarif Foundation

Totalitarian interference in individual sphere

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News