Gülen’s relatives dismayed over smear campaign against Islamic scholar


Date posted: March 10, 2014

İSTANBUL

Dismayed, if not surprised, by the unabated smear campaign against distinguished Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, the scholar’s relatives have expressed their disappointment and anxiety over the endless accusations and slander against Gülen.

Speaking at a press conference in the Polat Rönesans Hotel in the eastern province of Erzurum, Gülen’s home province, on Sunday, Kemal Gülen, the Islamic scholar’s nephew and a news anchorman with the STV channel, pointed to an ongoing defamation campaign against Gülen and the Hizmet movement inspired by him.

“We have so far remained silent about the heinous attacks and slander against Gülen,” said the news presenter, “but we can no longer turn a blind eye to the defamation campaign aiming to discredit the Islamic scholar and the Hizmet movement, a faith-based social movement.”

The rare gathering brought Gülen’s relatives together to review family matters and the latest developments in the country’s political landscape, which has been shaken by a graft scandal that has since encircled Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government.

While the scandal has caused a crescendo of calls for Erdoğan to resign in the face of his alleged involvement in bribery and misuse of public funds, the government has portrayed the sweeping corruption investigation as a plot to unseat the prime minister and has launched a fierce campaign against the Hizmet movement and Gülen, accusing him of being behind the corruption cases.

These accusations have been firmly rejected, however, by Gülen and the Hizmet movement. Yet again, Erdoğan, as in December of last year, when the anti-corruption operation broke, has failed to produce any evidence to prove his claims. Calling such allegations spurious and wholly unsupported, Kemal Gülen also pointed to government efforts to derail the ongoing corruption investigation.

Kemal Gülen said they are waiting to see what, beyond verbal insults and slander, the government will bring to bear against the movement and Islamic scholar, given the mounting threats of action. Erdoğan has brought his bellicose rhetoric, which includes slander, insults and harsh language, to an unprecedented level in party rallies ahead of the critical local polls, which, in the eyes of opposition parties and critics, are seen as a confidence test of Erdoğan’s long tenure in Turkish politics.

Erdoğan himself has described the local elections as a war of national liberation to free the country from dependency on foreign powers.

“They are delivering unspeakable insults such as ‘fake prophet,’ ‘blood-sucking vampire,’ ‘fake scholar,’ ‘head of a terrorist organization’ and so on against Gülen,” said Kemal Gülen, adding, “The most disturbing and frustrating thing for us is hearing such insults from those who present themselves as the champions of democracy and tolerance.”

In addition to the dozens of insults directed towards Gülen from government circles, the much-circulated “fake prophet” remark has stirred resentment among his family members, who say Gülen has devoted his whole life to promoting the Prophet Mohammed and that the remark is nothing but ridiculous. “We learned to love our Prophet Mohammad through what we learned from the Islamic scholar. He made us love our prophet. Such insults implying that we treat Gülen as a prophet are utter nonsense,” said Kemal Gülen.

Slamming government officials and Erdoğan’s close associates for their alleged involvement in corruption, tender-rigging and bribery, Kemal Gülen emphasized that none of Gülen’s relatives have attempted to exploit the Islamic scholar’s worldwide influence to make a fortune for themselves. Still, he said, Gülen’s relatives live in modest conditions and have no desire for an extravagant life.

The return of Gülen to Turkey, who lives in Pennsylvania in self-imposed exile, is a thorny issue, given how some might react to his reappearance in the country. “It’s up to you, Mr. Gülen,” said his nephew, “to decide when you will return. But we want you to know that you will have your relatives’ full support if you decide to come back.”

Erdoğan had once invited the Islamic scholar to the country. But now Gülen’s followers consider the prime minister’s call insincere, given his belligerent rhetoric and hostility towards the Islamic scholar since the breaking of the corruption investigation. However, some members of the Hizmet movement and critics of the government say Erdoğan’s hostility had been building long before the graft probe emerged.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 9, 2014


Related News

Letter campaign launched for Turkey’s imprisoned women, mothers

In the aftermath of a failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016, more than 17,000 women from all walks of life including teachers, doctors and housewives have been jailed in Turkey on coup charges in government-led operations. There are currently more than 700 children accompanying their mothers in Turkish jails.

Dialogue and distrust: on the predicament of Gulen-inspired organisations in the UK

FRANCES SLEAP Dialogue can be hard work. It is an indisputably good idea for there to be meaningful contact between people of different religious, ideological and cultural groups, but to make that happen where it hasn’t yet happened is no mean feat. Between 2010 and 2014 I worked at the Dialogue Society, with people putting […]

A battle for power in Turkey faces resistance in Senegal

The closure of Yavuz Selim schools isn’t just a blow for its students, but also for the state of education in Senegal, a country where about one-third of children remain out of school. The schools had a reputation for excellence, ranking for years among Senegal’s best. Students got top scores in national exams, and went on to study at international universities.

Why won’t Obama extradite Gulen?

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said that he had complained to President Barack Obama about Fethullah Gulen in phone conversation. Erdogan added that Obama had responded favorably. The White House retorted in unusual language, telling journalists: “The response attributed to President Obama is not accurate.”

Turkish Gov’t media targets exiled journalists, their lives at risk

Following President Erdoğan’s statement that no country is safe for Gülen movement sympathizers, the pro-AKP media targeted exiled journalists in the US and Europe on Monday. Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization has been tasked with locating, arresting and even killing military officers who fled Turkey after allegedly taking part in a failed coup attempt in July, according a story in the Vatan daily on Aug. 30.

Erdoğan’s Fight against the Gülen Movement & The Demise of Turkish State Rationality

In a nutshell, Erdoğan’s divisive political rhetoric and his attempts to foster anti-Gülenist sentiments have perfectly served his own political interests within the country, but they have not served the country’s interests in the international arena, as they raise serious doubts about the credibility and rationality of the state as embodied in Erdoğan’s personality.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Faith Communities and Home-Grown Extremism

Afghan Students, families baulk at Turkey taking over schools

Turkish aid group sending rescue team and disaster relief to Nepal

Turkish groups call for global peace at historic İstanbul meeting

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences in the Wake of the Western European Floods

Nigerian Turkish Foundation donates educational materials to Lagos schools

FM Davutoğlu annuls decree ordering Turkish embassies to support Gülen Movement: Reports

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News