Turkish schools in Azerbaijan join SOCAR-financed int’l education complex


Date posted: March 7, 2014

 

İSTANBUL

Turkish schools are among leading educational institutions that have joined an international educational complex financed by State Oil Company of the Azerbaijani Republic (SOCAR), a statement from the Azerbaijani oil giant said on Wednesday.

 

The education complex is a non-state company that is financed by SOCAR and the membership of Turkish schools, prep schools and a university in the complex is part of a deal signed between the Çağ Education Company and the oil company a year ago.

Khaliq Memmedov, SOCAR’s vice president, told the ANS TV network on Wednesday that with the latest expansion, 11 Turkish high schools, 13 Araz prep schools and Qafqaz University joined the educational complex. He said the primary aim of the expansion is to bring Azerbaijani education up to international standards.

With the accession of the Turkish schools into the SOCAR-sponsored educational institution, tuition fees at the schools and the university are expected to significantly decrease and become affordable for middle-income families.

Turkey’s pro-government media falsely portrayed the cooperation deal signed a year ago as though the Azerbaijani state had nationalized the schools, which is far from the reality.

During a signing ceremony held last year, attended by Çağ Educational Institution chief Enver Özeren and SOCAR President Rovnaq Abdullayev, the two companies decided to continue their educational services with equal involvement in a non-governmental organization called the Azerbaijan International Education Center (AUTM) .

Speaking to the press following the ceremony, Abdullayev stated that his company has been working together with the Çağ Education Company on numerous projects for a long time. He added that the cooperation agreement will allow both companies to undertake educational projects to international standards, which the country needs. Recalling that those who graduated from Çağ Educational Company schools are highly qualified, Abdullayev said they are planning to transfer this experience in education to the AUTM.

Memmedov, who also attended the signing ceremony last March, said their main goal is to enhance the financial strength of schools linked to the Çağ Education Company and benefit from their experience to provide better quality education for future generations.

In his speech, Özeren welcomed the opportunity to jointly work with SOCAR, and said educational success will be acquired under the umbrella of AUTM. Saying that they are closely following developments in education around the world, Özeren said the cooperation agreement will allow them to focus on new projects.

Fabricated letter

Last week, an Azerbaijani website published a letter allegedly written to Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen by Özeren that included claims about shady activities of the company in Azerbaijan. In a press conference, Özeren rejected the letter, saying that the letter was fabricated. The letter was widely cited by pro-government media in Turkey.

Özeren stated at the news conference that media outlets should not believe such campaigns that spread “lies and slander.” Özeren said the company has already filed a complaint regarding the fabricated letter and launched a legal battle against the defamation campaign.

The name of Gülen in the letter was misspelled, indicating that the letter was fake. The text, written in Turkish, also included many errors that characterize a text written by a native Azerbaijani speaker.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 7, 2014


Related News

Turkish PM: State of emergency will continue until Gülen movement completely wiped out

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said in Ankara on Thursday that the state of emergency which was declared following a failed coup attempt in July of last year will continue until the faith-based Gülen movement, which the government accuses of being behind the coup attempt, is completely wiped out from state institutions.

Erdoğan is helping Hizmet community in three ways

If President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan had given an assurance to the world, saying, “The Hizmet movement never resorts to violence and it is an antidote to Islamist violence,” people would still have nurtured doubts and they still would have asked if they, like Islamists, would resort to violence under duress.

Erdoğan’s Baku visit will not close Hizmet schools

Heydar Aliyev, an experienced and far-sighted politician, always supported these schools and we cannot say that the decisions to open the doors of the country to these schools was of no benefit. The schools have for years maintained the trust of the government because they are integrated with Azerbaijani society and its values. To think that the schools opened with blessings of Heydar Aliyev will be shut down by his son İlham Aliyev would be naïve.

NTIC Alumni urges Turkish govt not to close schools

No fewer than Three Thousand, Two Hundred (3200) Alumni members of Nigerian Turkish International Colleges (NTIC) have condemned plans by Turkish government to close down branches of their schools established in various parts of the country.

Turkish President Gül: Turkish schools abroad largest non-state project

11 June 2012 / TODAYSZAMAN.COM Turkish President Abdullah Gül has said Turkish schools abroad are the largest non-state project Turkey has ever seen, noting that the schools’ value will only increase in the future. Organizers and participants in the 10th International Turkish Olympiads presented the Karamanoğlu Mehmet Bey Turkish Language Award to the president, who […]

‘The World is one family’: Students from around the world extend peace message at international culture festival

A fusion of cultures was seen at the fourteenth edition of the International Festival of Language and Culture (IFLC) that was held in India for the very first time.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Nubuwwat symposium starts with rejection of suicide bombing, terrorism

Gov’t pins hope on division in Turkey as Erdoğan resorts to hateful speech

Greater Jakarta: Students, parents protest Embassy’s statement

LDP leader says received ‘indecent proposal’ from pro-gov’t paper

Ramadan Feast: Community Bonding at Its Best from the Turkish Cultural Center

Critical journalist Ilıcak fired from pro-government daily Sabah

Does Erdogan really want Gulen in Turkey?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News