Almost 1,000 officers removed from post in İzmir, Ankara


Date posted: February 20, 2014

 

İSTANBUL

Around 700 police officers, including four deputy chiefs and 70 high-ranking officials, were removed from their posts at the İzmir Police Department and reassigned to different positions on Thursday morning and removals continued later in the afternoon with 207 more officers, including police chiefs, being removed from their posts at the Ankara Police Department’s Counterterrorism Unit.

Removals began soon after a major corruption investigation became public on Dec. 17 and led to the resignation of three ministers and the replacement of a fourth by the prime minister.

The four deputy chiefs from the İzmir Police Department, who have been recently reassigned, Mehmet Ali Şevik, Halil İbrahim Karazeybek, Vahit Bektaş and Ramazan Karakaya, are reportedly the officials who conducted the operation into alleged tender-rigging and fraud at the Port of İzmir. The four deputies who were removed from their posts were appointed to posts at police schools.

Similarly, İzmir Police Chief Sami Uslu was removed from his post and assigned to a post at the National Police Department in Ankara on Feb. 11. Uslu had been assigned to the top post at the İzmir Police Department on Jan. 10 after a fast-moving investigation into allegations of tender-rigging and fraud at the Port of İzmir came to light.

The İzmir police chief was reassigned twice in less than a month. He was reassigned to a post in Ankara in the previous round of reshuffling within Turkey’s police force since a major corruption investigation became public.

The sweeping changes and purge within the police force reflect a mood of panic in the government, which is trying to portray the graft probe as a plot to undermine it ahead of critical local polls.

More than 7,000 police officers, including hundreds of police chiefs, have been removed from their posts. A majority of them have been demoted to less significant positions within the country’s police departments.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has reacted furiously to the corruption investigation, decrying an attempted “judicial coup” his supporters see as orchestrated by the Hizmet movement. He has reassigned thousands of police officers, more than a hundred judges and prosecutors, and purged official bodies of executives he suspects of being close to Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Source: Todays Zaman , February 20, 2014


Related News

Turkish NGO in Cambodia Denies Links to Terror

The Mekong Dialogue Institute (MDI), a Turkish NGO based in Phnom Penh, on Monday denied any links to terrorism, although the organization was inspired by Fethullah Gulen, the man accused by the Turkish government of being behind last month’s failed coup in Turkey.

AK Party takes action to expel deputy who opposed closure of prep schools

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) referred Kütahya deputy İdris Bal — who opposed the government’s planned closure of prep schools (dershanes) — to the party’s disciplinary board for expulsion on Thursday. Bal, reiterating his opposition to the closure of prep schools, he said that such a move would violate the Constitution.

Ex-Pentagon advisor says Turkey is heading towards civil conflict, if not civil war

Rubin underlined that Turkey is already dangerously polarized prior to an April 16 referendum on a constitutional package that will grant sweeping powers to Erdoğan and switch the country to an executive presidency. “We know from Turkish political history that such polarization often leads to violence,” he said.

Police raids Şifa University hospitals in gov’t-led intimidation operation, report says

The police have conducted raids on nine hospitals of şifa University for the purpose of shutting down the hospitals on the orders of the İzmir Public Prosecutor’s Office in a government-led intimidation operation, the news portal haberturk.com reported on Friday.

Twitter user apologizes for Gülen ‘traitor’ insult, blames politicians

Nuray A., who called Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen a “traitor” in a Twitter post, told a court on Tuesday that she only used the expression after first hearing politicians use the word against Gülen, and apologized for imitating them.

European rights body says Turkey violated own constitution in post-coup crackdown

Council of Europe says Erdogan government violated both Turkey’s own constitution and international law in reaction to failed July coup.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

22 businessmen sue PM Erdoğan over Hashishin remarks against Hizmet

“A Model for Peacemaking: In the Footprints of Francis & the Sultan”

The gov’t in Turkey is committing genocide

Pakistan’s Sindh High Court restrains Turkish teachers’ deportation

Turks most honest donors to Somalia, says minister

Turkish minister’s leaked emails show pro-gov’t figure has eye on Gülen-linked dormitory

Gülen’s German collaborator, or the German slap?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News