Supreme court calls on AK Party’s Şahin to substantiate claim about Gülen


Date posted: January 10, 2014

İSTANBUL
The Supreme Court of Appeals has asked a senior Justice and Development Party (AK Party) official to hand over any evidence regarding his allegations about US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen amid claims by the official that a judge at the high court had acted contrary to legal procedures and contacted Gülen before issuing his final verdict in a case against a businessman several years ago.

In late December, Gülen’s lawyer strongly denied claims made by former Justice Minister and AK Party Deputy Chairman Mehmet Ali Şahin, who said a Supreme Court of Appeals judge had asked Gülen’s opinion about a suspect whose case the court was hearing before delivering the final verdict.

The Supreme Court of Appeals has also denied the claims made by Şahin via a statement two weeks ago. It said such a statement, which could harm the objectivity of the court, is unacceptable and added that if Şahin has any evidence, it should be handed over to the judiciary to start legal proceedings over his claim.

Upon Şahin’s claim, the Judges and Prosecutors Association (YARSAV) on Dec. 31 filed a legal complaint with the office of the head prosecutor in Ankara requesting an investigation into Şahin’s allegations about the Court of Appeals and whether a gang exists within the high court. The Ankara court ruled a lack of jurisdiction and sent the case to the Court of Appeals.

Şahin claimed that a high-level judge at the Supreme Court of Appeals had acted contrary to legal procedures and contacted Gülen before issuing his final verdict in the case against the businessman several years ago.

“What should I do in this case?” asked the judge, according to the claims by the former justice minister. He went on to say that Gülen had allegedly told the judge to do what justice requires.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 10, 2014


Related News

Astonishing questions about the failed coup attempt in Turkey

Critics claim that this failed coup attempt was simply a pretext to legitimize arbitrary authoritarian practices, eliminate all the dissent while filling the state apparatus with staunch supporters, and start an ethnic cleansing against sympathizers of the Gulen movement and Alawites.

BBC report: Women with younger-than 6-months-old babies in jail in Turkey

Hundreds of women are in pretrial detention in jails across Turkey with their infants, some of them less than six months old, due to a state of emergency declared after a failed coup last year, a BBC Turkish report said on Friday.

78 detained for raising money for post-coup purge victims

At least 78 people who are accused of raising money for post-coup purge victims were detained in an Antalya-based operation into the Gülen movement on Thursday.

Turkish opposition deputy: Women jailed with children are treated like enemies

Tanrıkulu said the judiciary treats these women as if they were enemies in war and called for the release of the jailed women and their small children.

It’s not about a conflict between the government and Hizmet movement

Insanity ripples through the country, the media and the people. If graft or corruption is the prevailing form of life spreading from the state to society, and if this form of life is supported by people, then we are hitting the bottom day by day. A prosecutor can say “We can detain 500 thousand people if necessary” and still hold his post as if he said quite an ordinary thing. Whereas in Europe mental health of such a prosecutor would be called into question and most probably examined.

Erdogan to become an all-powerful democratically elected dictator

Turkey’s failed coup last week has emboldened President Tayyip Erdogan to become an all-powerful democratically elected dictator. The attempt by his opponents to take over the state by force provided him the political cover to destroy all remaining opposition to his rule without no fair judicial process.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

87-year old prisoner gets 11-day solitary confinement for ‘hoping release one day’

Hizmet’s Relations with Other Muslim Communities in the United States

Pakistan – Staff expelled from Turkish-backed schools on Erdogan’s demand

Are the Turkish Leader Erdogan’s Claims of Terrorist Coup Plotting to Be Believed?

Fethullah Gülen’s legal journey

NTIC Foundation: Touching lives in Nigeria

Woman with soft tissue tumor held in Ankara prison for 8 months: report

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News