Prosecutor’s office launches investigation into Şahin’s claim


Date posted: January 2, 2014

 İSTANBUL
Following a complaint submitted by the Judges and Prosecutors Association (YARSAV), the Ankara Prosecutor’s Office has launched an investigation into a claim made by former Justice Minister and current Justice and Development Party (AK Party) Deputy Chairman Mehmet Ali Şahin, who said on Monday that a Supreme Court of Appeals judge had asked Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen‘s opinion about a suspect whose case the court was hearing before delivering the final verdict.

A statement released by the Supreme Court of Appeals on Tuesday said that such a claim, which could harm the objectivity of the court, is not acceptable and added that if Şahin has any evidence, it should be handed over to the judiciary to start legal action on his claim.

The lawyer of the Turkish Islamic scholar, Nurullah Albayrak, said in a written statement that no conversation has taken place between his client and the judge, and rejected the allegations that the judge had sought the scholar’s opinion before delivering the final verdict concerning a businessman who was convicted in the case.

Şahin claimed that a high-level judge at the Supreme Court of Appeals had acted contrary to legal procedure and contacted Gülen before issuing his final verdict in the case against the businessman several years ago.

“What should I do in this case?” asked the judge, according to the claims of the former justice minister. He went on to say that Gülen had allegedly told the judge to do “what justice requires.”

Şahin’s claim came at a time when the AK Party government has accused prosecutors who have launched a far-reaching investigation into corruption and alleged bribery, fraud and tender rigging that involves high-level officials and ministers of acting according to the group interests of “an illegal structure and a gang within the state.”

Albayrak rejected the allegations and denied any contact between Gülen and the judge.

Source: Today's Zaman , January 2, 2014


Related News

Coup d’état attempt: Turkey’s Reichstag fire?

On the evening of July 15, 2016, a friend called around 10:30pm and said that both bridges connecting the Asian and European sides of Istanbul were closed by military barricades. Moreover, military jets were flying over Ankara skies. As someone living on the European side of Istanbul and commuting to the Asian side to my university on a daily basis and spending many hours in traffic in order to do that, I immediately knew that the closure of both bridges was a sign of something very extraordinary taking place.

GYV: Hard-won democratic gains sacrificed for short-term interests

The move to seek the extradition of Fethullah Gülen using irrational justifications, the pressures on those businesspeople who sympathize with the Hizmet movement and the boycotts and sufferings that came in the wake of Erdoğan’s threat, “Do not given them [the Hizmet movement] even a single drop of water,” are the sort of developments unseen even during coup eras.

Once lauded as model, Turkey’s Africa initiative loses momentum

One of the main reasons behind the loss of momentum in Turkey’s once-intense efforts to boost relations with African states is the Turkish government’s effort to win domestic battles at any cost. In one such attempt, the Turkish government started to work on a plan to get states to close down Turkish schools abroad that are affiliated with the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by the teachings of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and known as one of Turkey’s most important soft-power instruments.

Michael Flynn, President Trump’s first national security adviser, was paid to investigate Fethullah Gulen during election campaign

Michael T. Flynn, President Trump’s first national security adviser, acted as a foreign agent representing the interests of Turkey’s government in exchange for more than $500,000 during last year’s campaign even as he was advising Mr. Trump. Mr. Flynn was assigned to investigate Fethullah Gulen, a Turkish cleric who lives in Pennsylvania.

Teacher gets arrested, wife suffers miscarriage amid gov’t crackdown on Gülen movement

A letter sent Turkey Purge has received from the elder brother –known by the initials A.D.– of an arrested school teacher reveals that those detained within past few years as part of the witch-hunt have been subjected to many kinds of ill-treatment under custody.

AK Party’s power poisoning

The AK Party is still committed to making its identity dominant and transforming the state; its attempt to eliminate the Hizmet movement from the bureaucracy and the judiciary without relying on any legal evidence is a good sign of this.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkey, The great purge – Four lives upturned by Erdogan’s ‘cleansing.’ Episode 4 – Betul

State government in Baden Wurttemberg in constructive dialogue with Hizmet volunteers

Interview with Rt Hon Hazel Blears MP, at London Premiere of Love is a Verb

Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen offers condolences for Tahir Elçi, slain police officers

THY’s Topçu defends embargo on papers, defamation campaign

UK Clears Gulenists Of Turkey’s ‘Coup’ Accusations

To embrace the spirit of acceptance and tolerance

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News