TV station won’t cover AK Party events due to harassment of reporter


Date posted: December 30, 2013

İSTANBUL
A national TV station announced on Monday that it will no longer send reporters to Justice and Development Party (AK Party) rallies after one of their reporters was harassed by party supporters on Friday during the party rally organized to welcome Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan at İstanbul Atatürk Airport.

Nilay Karakaş a reporter with Kanaltürk TV, which belongs to the İpek Media Group that has been critical of the government’s stance in the recent corruption probe that has rocked the country since Dec. 17, was verbally attacked during her live coverage of the AK Party rally. The young reporter and cameraman Yasin Kamaloğlu abruptly cut the broadcast and left the scene out of concern for their safety.

Following the incident, Tarık Toros, the editor-in-chief of Bugün TV, also of the same media group, announced in his column in the Bugün daily that the İpek Media Group will no longer attend similar governing party events due to the lack of security and direct threat to its employees. According to Toros, Karakaş was targeted with severe profanity while she was simply trying to do her job like any other reporter on the scene.

Speaking with Today’s Zaman, Toros said that they notified AK Party spokesperson Hüseyin Çelik about the incident, but they had as yet heard nothing from the party. According to Toros, increasing tension and attacks directed at the media are a result of the sharp rhetoric of the prime minister. “This is a direct reflection of what is spoken at the podium to the masses,” he commented, and he described the general trend as worrisome. Toros also criticized the prime minister for not displaying any disapproval of the young male AK Party members who wore shrouds at another event as a demonstration of their commitment to Erdoğan.

“It is not just about our reporter and the harassment she experienced, but about the increasing polarization in society,” Toros added, expressing his growing concerns about the state of the media-government relations in Turkey.

Toros also noted that the incident of harassment took place even though the news team had removed the logo from their equipment in fear of reaction from the AK Party crowd due to their recent critical coverage.

Pro-government paper sacks columnist

Meanwhile, a columnist from the pro-government Yeni Şafak, Osman Özsoy, has left his position and he hinted on his Twitter account on Monday that there had been government pressure on the newspaper to fire him.

After announcing that he had been notified by the newspaper of a decision to cancel his column, Özsoy tweeted, “It is not difficult to guess that there was motivation from beyond the newspaper administration that led to this.”

He added that disparaging former companions because they have parted ways due to a disagreement as the prime minister has done does not suit his character.

Özsoy also said these kinds of incidents are “not a period but a comma” and that the most important thing is that the “nation is walking toward the future.”

In his column published on Dec. 24 in Yeni Şafak, Özsoy tried to justify Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen‘s “conditional curse” on those who are trying to cover up the corruption investigation and dismissed attacks on Gülen for being an Islamic scholar and cursing people.

He also posted several tweets in the past few days criticizing the government’s intervention in the judiciary and slamming the defamation of Gülen.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 30, 2013


Related News

Consultation from Gülen’s perspective: The relationship between the ruler and the ruled

Even if the head of state or the leader is confirmed by God and nurtured by revelation and inspiration, he is obliged to conduct affairs by consultation. In fact, any society that has ignored or disregarded this practice has never prospered; rather, it has perished. So the Messenger of God saw the salvation and progress of his community in consultation: “Those who consult do not lose.”

Fethullah Gülen lawsuit [in the US] thrown out in setback for Turkey’s Erdoğan

A US judge has dismissed a human rights lawsuit against Fethullah Gülen, a US-based Turkish cleric who is a former ally turned prominent critic of his home country’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan. The lawsuit, funded by Turkey, had claimed the Muslim cleric in Pennsylvania orchestrated human rights abuses in his native Turkey.

Media freedom in Turkey takes another blow

On Dec. 25, Mahir Zeynalov sent out two tweets. “The first tweet contained a link to a news report about the second wave of a massive graft operation and how police blocked a raid involving more than 40 suspects, including Saudi businessman Yasin al-Qadi — listed as a specially designated terrorist by the United States,” Today’s Zaman reported Jan. 31. Zeynalov’s tweets are no longer present on his Twitter account. “’Turkish prosecutors order police to arrest al-Qaeda affiliates, Erdogan’s appointed police chiefs refuse to comply,’ read the first tweet. In the second tweet, Zeynalov shared a news report detailing al-Qaeda suspects’ escape from the country after police chiefs blocked the raid on Dec. 25.”

Al-Nusra Claims Responsibility For Murder Of Russian Ambassador, Warns Of More Attacks

The Jabhat Fatah al-Sham organization (formerly the al-Nusra Front) claimed to be responsible for Monday’s murder of Russian Ambassador Andrey Karlov’s in Ankara. Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu had even told his US counterpart John Kerry that both Turkey and Russia “know” that the Gulen movement was behind the ambassador’s murder.

Gülen’s lawyer issues written warning to pro-gov’t media outlets

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, on Thursday issued a written warning to pro-government media outlets on social media for their persistent use of the expressions “parallel structure” — a term invented by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to refer to followers of the Hizmet movement — and “Fethullah Gülen terrorist organization” — referred to in the dailies as FETÖ — on the grounds that they are making baseless claims regarding the faith-based movement.

Censored by theft: Man caught stealing copies of Zaman daily

In the video footage, the young man is seen stealing three Zaman newspapers placed in the mail boxes of an apartment building. When asked by the subscriber who was filming why he was stealing the newspapers, the thief said his father was the AK Party’s Beylikdüzü provincial chairman and that his father had initiated the campaign against Zaman because it is defaming the party.

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

Indonesian-Turkish Schools host 5th Science Olympiads

Lahore High Court orders protection for Turkish teachers in Lahore

On Gülen vs Erdogan – “And not equal are the good deed and the bad”

PM’s son: Dad, let’s initiate an operation against Hizmet’s senior members

Q&A: Turkish Imam Fethullah Gulen

In Indonesia Turkish schools will not be closed

Head of Turkish Olympiads committee: The Nobel Foundation cannot overlook us

Copyright 2022 Hizmet News