Gülen criticizes remarks insulting members of Hizmet movement

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen (Photo: Today's Zaman)
Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: December 23, 2013

PENNSYLVANIA

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has strongly criticized remarks that insulted members of the Hizmet movement, saying that these kind of behavior won’t solve problems.

“Those who call a Muslim a [member of] gang, a network, a bandit and who sees them as gorillas and monkeys who are living in caverns.. these are nothing but a reflection of shabby thoughts on words, thoughts, expressions and no curve could be made straight with these [words],” Gülen said.

Gülen didn’t directly mention Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s name, but it was obvious that he was responding to the prime minister’s remarks on Friday, when he said the government will “come down to your caverns and tear you to shreds.”

Erdoğan keeps repeating that a corruption probe that involves sons of ministers, businessmen and chief of the state bank is a “dirty operation” against his government and describes it as a foreign plot. He also accuses the Hizmet movement of being behind this plot against his government. As part of his campaign, Erdoğan purged more than a hundred police officials, removed head of the wiretapping body, issued a decree that forces police chiefs to inform their superiors before acting on prosecutors’ orders and appointed two prosecutors to supervise the case — moves observers described as a blunt intervention in the graft investigation.

For the first time in his life on Friday, Gülen cursed those who are behind the purge of police officials, saying that he can no longer tolerate to all the what he called “assymetrical assaults.”

Gülen criticized Erdoğan’s abusive description of the Hizmet movement on his Sunday speech, published in herkul.org, a website that usually publishes his speeches, and said viewing houses of those who are living in poor conditions are “cavern” means Erdoğan doesn’t know what a cavern is. Gülen said all these are expression of “worthlessness.”

Gülen said when “one says cavern, it is obvious that he is referring to monkeys, gorillas, bears, hyenas, snakes, centipedes..” and urged members of the Hizmet movement not to retaliate to this kind of “worthlessness” in the same way.

Speaking about the allegations that police officials and prosecutors who are behind the corruption raid are linked to the Hizmet movement, Gülen recalled a case that was filed against his speeches in 1999. Gülen said New Jersey’s chief prosecutor reviewed the indictment against him and sent a report to judges in Turkey. He said that report, which indicated that the allegations in the indictment was ludicrous, was key in his acquittal of the charges. He said it was obvious that the American prosecutor and the judges in Turkey were only standing on the side of justice and that they had no links to him.

Gülen described these kind of behavior as a “right act” and blamed “others,” referring to the government, to call the corruption investigation as a “conspiracy.” “They are calling this right act a conspiracy; they are calling the unveiling of treason, infamy as a plot; there are attempts to defend treason and infamy,” Gülen added.

Gülen stated that the Hizmet movement doesn’t have any kind of duty to unveil someone’s “treason and infamy,” but that they’re not in a position to intervene if someone else unveiled that “treason.” “This is something beyond us,” he stressed.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 23, 2013


Related News

Expert’s opinion: Turkey’s Demanding Extradition Of Fethullah Gülen Is Frivolous Grandstanding

Although ordinarily I respect his cool-headedness and self-control, in hindsight I wish President Obama had been equally blunt in responding to President Erdoğan’s demands that the US extradite Fethullah Gülen. All of his demands, beginning in 2014 and vigorously renewed in the wake of the July 15 attempted coup, have been completely illegitimate and unfair.

Ekrem Dumanli: Turkey’s witch hunt against the media

Turkey’s leader for almost 12 years, Erdogan contributed to economic successes and democratic reforms during his first and second terms. However, emboldened by consecutive election victories and incompetent opposition parties, he is now leading Turkey toward one-man, one-party rule.

Questions for the government regarding prep school closure

BÜLENT KENEŞ What we have concluded after discussing the government’s plan to shut down prep schools for the past 12 days is that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is resolved to proceed with the plan. In this process we have understood that no argument about prep schools’ contributions to education, pedagogy, the principle of equal […]

Kaçmaz family deportation case: Lahore High Court seeks record of Civil Aviation Authority

The Lahore High Court (LHC) sought record of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) of planes arrived and departed for Turkey from Allama Iqbal International Airport on 13-14 October, on Tuesday. The record is sought to investigate the forced deportation of Kacmaz family, despite them being under UN protection.

The Coup Attempt – Turkey’s Reichstag Fire

Once forces loyal to Turkish President Erdogan had put the attempted takeover down, he called the coup attempt “a gift from God” because it provided an excuse to crack down on competitors and opponents. Using enemies lists prepared well in advance, his purges have touched more than 100,000 and sparked widespread conspiracies among Turks that the July 15 coup was Turkey’s equivalent of the Reichstag fire.

Closer look at empire of cleric accused in Turkey coup attempt

Turkey’s crackdown of those suspected in the failed July 15 military coup widens, with the firing of 492 people at its top Islamic authority. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is zeroing in on a Muslim cleric living in rural Pennsylvania, whom he accuses of masterminding the coup attempt.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Texans experience Turkish culture by volunteering

Growing number of Turkish citizens apply for asylum in Germany

Swinging between hope and despair – Opposing news from Yemen

Bank Asya’s corporate governance rating increases

Peace Islands Institute Honors Remarkable Individuals

‘Selam: Bahara Yolculuk’: a true story on the big screen

DUTCH MP’S FURIOUS ABOUT PRESSURE FROM TURKISH AMBASSADOR

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News