Gülen appeals for steadfastness against gov’t ban on prep schools [in Turkey]

Turkish Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen.
Turkish Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen.


Date posted: November 17, 2013

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has asked his followers to be resolute and not yield to despair in the face of a government attempt to shut down private educational institutions [in Turkey] that assist students to prepare for high school and university admission examinations, which was interpreted as a major blow to the right to an education and to free enterprise in the EU-candidate country.

“The winds of opposition may blow, dispersing people in a sweep in many cases. People with a weak character may emerge and they, motivated by certain interests, may sway from side to side. In the face of what has been happening, it must be a hallmark for a believer to never be shaken, not to give in to despair and not to let himself be squashed,” Gülen said in a speech published on herkul.org, a website that frequently broadcasts his speeches.

Pointing out that there will always be people who will try to put obstacles in the path of the Hizmet movement, stemming from non-belief, jealousy or non-acceptance, Gülen urged people to be patient in the face of the government move. “One should be patient during tribulations,” he emphasized.

Calling for moderation in response to aggression and assaults, Gülen advised his followers to plead for patience and God’s help with prayer.

The government has finished work on the draft version of a law that foresees the closure of all types of prep schools, or dershanes, beginning with the 2013-2014 school year, and imposing fines on those that continue to operate.

The draft bill, reportedly prepared by undersecretary of the Ministry of Education, was leaked to the Zaman daily last week and the publication of the details led to public uproar. Educational institutions, unions, parent teacher associations, trade advocacy groups and opposition parties have said that they are opposed to the government plan, saying that shutting down privately funded prep schools would be a blow to free enterprise and the right to an education.

The government initially denied that the draft ever existed, but later admitted that there was a draft and claimed that it was the wrong version of the draft that appeared in the press. Education Minister Nabi Avcı and the ministry undersecretary, Yusuf Tekin, have given conflicting accounts of what the government actually intends to do regarding a blanket ban on prep schools and how it will do it.

According to the original draft provided to Zaman, prep schools will be given three years to become private schools. They are also prohibited from operating as study centers. If they do not transform themselves into private schools during this period, they will be closed down. A fine ranging from TL 500,000 to TL 1 million will be imposed on prep schools if they remain open.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 17, 2013


Related News

Gülen’s lawyer to sue daily Sabah over black propaganda

Gülen’s lawyer, Nurullah Albayrak, will file a legal complaint in Ankara against the daily on Monday for violating the confidentiality of communication according to Article 132 of the Turkish Penal Code (TCK) and for insult according to Article 125 of the TCK.

New university in Pakistan with Turkish collaboration

CHIEF Minister Shahbaz Sharif has said that Pakistan and Turkey have historic and cultural relations and people of both the countries are bound together in strong fraternal ties. Speaking at the foundation stone laying ceremony of boys’ hostel in the main campus of Pak-Turk International School and College at Khayaban-e-Jinnah Road here on Sunday, he […]

GYV: PM’s discriminatory rhetoric undermines social peace

Arguments and discriminatory rhetoric used by the prime minister against the Hizmet movement spoil the emotional well-being of our people; undermine social peace and prepare the groundwork for violence by sowing the seeds of hatred in society, the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) said in a forceful statement published on its website on Thursday.

Developing Ghana; the role of Tudec and Galaxy İnt’l School

More Turkish investors have expressed their interest to invest in education, the real estate, construction and manufacturing sectors in Ghana. The President of the Ghana-Turkey Cooperation and Development Association (TUDEC), Mr Yusuf Temizkan, says prospective investors would be arriving in the country within the year to inject their capital into the country’s economy. He said […]

Abrupt gov’t decision to revoke status of Kimse Yok Mu draws criticism

Turkey’s leading charity, Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There), had its right to collect charitable donations abruptly rescinded on Tuesday, in what seems to be an arbitrary decision made during a Cabinet meeting, prompting harsh reactions from volunteers, lawmakers of the opposition parties and representatives of other civil society groups.

Editorial: Expulsion of Turk Teachers from Pakistan

The point is that Turkish teachers have not committed any crime in Pakistan. Abrupt exodus of those teachers would destroy teaching system in Pak-Turk schools in Pakistan. Nawaz Sharif should have considered the interest of citizens of Pakistan before submitting to unfair requests of Turkish government.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Daily publishes evidence of ‘color lists’ used to recruit public sector employees

Fethullah Gülen suggests Turkish coup attempt could have been staged

Turkey Faces Its Iran 1979 Moment

Turkish firm offers to set up schools in Sindh, Pakistan

Fethullah Gülen’s Statement of Condolences and Condemnation for Manhattan Terrorist Attack

Gülen: Burden of proof rests with those who claim we plotted the coup

Gülen extends condolences to Egypt victims

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News