Kimse Yok Mu to donate $1 million to typhoon victims in Philippines

(Photo: Today's Zaman, Mehmet Yaman)
(Photo: Today's Zaman, Mehmet Yaman)


Date posted: November 13, 2013

Turkish humanitarian aid association Kimse Yok Mu has announced that it will donate $1 million to the victims of the typhoon-hit Philippines from its emergency funds.

İsmail Cingöz, president of Kimse Yok Mu, told Today’s Zaman on Wednesday: “Our search and rescue team ASYA is in the disaster zone. Our team is working in harmony with aid workers from the UN, the Red Crescent, the Prime Ministry’s Disaster and Emergency Management Directorate [AFAD], the Turkish Cooperation and Development Agency [TİKA] and local officials. We have so far distributed 25 tons of supplies, having made our initial examination of the disaster site. We have now decided to make another $1 million emergency donation.” He said that thanks to the support and donations of the Turkish nation, Kimse Yok Mu will continue to give donations. “We are also working hard to recruit more volunteers for our ASYA team. It is a human duty to extend a helping hand to a nation in a difficult situation. I am calling on everybody to be aware of this disaster.”

The death toll in the Philippines is believed to have exceeded 10,000. The typhoon, with winds raging at 275 kilometers an hour, has left behind scenes one would expect to see in the apocalypse, according to Kimse Yok Mu volunteers.

ASYA team leader İsmail Büyükay, who is currently in the disaster zone, told Today’s Zaman: “The situation is just heartbreaking. There are body bags along the roads. There are looters everywhere. People are foraging through mud and slime to find food. We are one of the few aid groups continuing with relief efforts. We have passed out about 25 tons of supplies, but this is not nearly enough.” Büyükay said food, water, medicine, hygiene products and tents are on the priority list.

Today’s Zaman reporter Mehmet Yaman, who is the Philippine city of Tacloban, said the airport is still open to military cargo planes and helicopters but lies in ruins. He also reported seeing many body bags lined up next to each other on both sides of the roads. “The city smells of dead bodies. Churches and many homes serve as body storage spaces. The flow of international aid isn’t enough to change the current situation,” he said.

The city of Tacloban, population 220,000, is the capital of the Philippine province of Leyte. It is one of the hardest-hit areas in the country. Hunger and a lack of drinking water are already serious problems. Looting is rampant and military and other security units are finding it hard to keep order. The security problem is also slowing down aid efforts, volunteers in the area say.

According to UN data, more than 11 million have been affected by Typhoon Haiyan, and 673,000 people have been left homeless.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 13, 2013


Related News

Campaign seeks donations for purge-victim Turkish refugees in Greece

A fundraising campaign has been launched for the Turkish refugees who cross into Greece in order to escape an ongoing purge and persecution of Turkish government led by Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Kimse Yok Mu working to resolve water problem in Africa

MEHMET TAYANÇ, ISTANBUL Numerous Turkish aid foundations are working to resolve Africa’s long-standing water supply problem by digging wells in various countries across the continent, with over 1,500 sunk so far. Africa suffers from a lack of drinking water due to drought, which is common across the continent. Research being conducted into the issue shows […]

Kazakh students win medals at international science fair

HÜSEYİN GÜNGÖR Students from Kazakh-Turkish high schools founded by Turkish entrepreneurs in Kazakhstan won 12 medals in the Second Annual International Sustainable World (Energy, Engineering & Environment) Project Olympiad (I-SWEEEP 2009) held in Houston on April 15-20. This year, 600 students from 60 countries participated in the competition, where Kazakh high school students were especially […]

Turkish charities in Somalia for long haul

02 October 2011, Sunday / ALYSON NEEL Kimse Yok Mu’s healthcare teams traveled to Somalia three times in the last two months to provide emergency health services and bring medical equipment and medicine to the region. In Benadir State Hospital, the largest hospital in Somalia, the gynecology and pediatric units were handed over to Kimse […]

Kimse Yok Mu to launch 1000 “field schools” project in Africa

International aid organization Kimse Yok Mu is launching a new project to help improve education in Africa – KYM Field Schools. The project is about the foundation of 1000 schools for primary education of African children and submission of schools to local authorities.

Thai Minister asks Turkish investors to invest more in education in Thailand

Winners at various International Science Olympiads from Turkish schools in Thailand paid a visit to Science and Technology Minister Peerapan Palusuk. The minister asked Turkish entrepreneurs to invest more in education sector in his country. Turkish schools’ students in Thailand have been representing the country successfully at International Science Olympiads. Students from Chindamanee School, Siriwat […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish govt has declared war on us, Nigerian student cries out from hiding

Launch of Fethullah Gulen Chair in Islamic Studies and Intercultural Dialogue at Deakin University

Foes on the Run as Erdogan Makes Power Personal

Outspoken lawyer barred from taking up Gulen-linked cases

JWF shared its experiences on interfaith cooperation at UN

Man campaigning for anti-Gülen protest in US Turkish Communist Party member

Erdogan set up Maarif Foundation to seize Hizmet-inspired Turkish Schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News