Kimse Yok Mu officials hand out aid with flashlights in rain

Despite the persistent rain, Kimse Yok Mu distributed aid packages by flashlight throughout the night to Rohingya Muslims sheltering in Bangladesh from the ongoing violence in Myanmar. (Photo: Today's Zaman)
Despite the persistent rain, Kimse Yok Mu distributed aid packages by flashlight throughout the night to Rohingya Muslims sheltering in Bangladesh from the ongoing violence in Myanmar. (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: August 3, 2012

MEHMET YAMAN

Despite the heavy rain, Kimse Yok Mu, a Turkish charity, continued distributing aid packages throughout the night with the aid of flashlights to Rohingya Muslims who have taken shelter in the Cox’s Bazar district of Bangladesh from the ongoing violence in their home country, Myanmar.

Having distributed aid packages to 23,000 Rohingya Muslim refugees in Bangladesh through the incessant rain since they arrived in the region, the organization aims to help 60,000 refugees by the weekend. Refugees form long queues to receive the aid packages. One of the refugees, named Khaleza, said that she and her 4-month-old baby are grateful to Turkey, as they could not have survived if it wasn’t for the Turkish food packages. The aid packages the organization distributes contain 15 different basic food items such as rice, sugar, oil and potatoes and weigh 20 kilograms. Organization officials say that one aid package allows a family to survive for a month. The organization also hosts iftars (fast-breaking dinners) for the refugees.

Meanwhile, Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) Secretary-General Ekmeleddin İhsanoğlu said his organization was working day and night to get more aid to Myanmar.

Speaking at an iftar in Jeddah on Monday, İhsanoğlu said they launched an international campaign to raise awareness about the continuing violence in Myanmar. “We are going through difficult days. My team and I have been making considerable efforts to get the world’s attention on what is going on in Myanmar,” he said.

As part of its campaign, the OIC is to hold meetings in the capitals of several OIC member countries, he further said.

İhsanoğlu said a meeting will be held on Aug. 3 in Malaysia, where the members will discuss the situation in Myanmar and possible solutions. In addition, a United Nations envoy has traveled to western Myanmar to investigate the communal violence that has left at least 78 dead and tens of thousands homeless.

Tomas Ojea Quintana flew to Arakan state on Tuesday for a first-hand look at the cities and towns where mass rioting and ferocious violence erupted last month between the ethnic Arakan (Rakhine) Buddhists and Muslim Rohingyas.

The first glimmer of violence in Myanmar occurred in June after claims that three Rohingya Muslims raped a Buddhist woman. In response, fanatical Buddhists started killing Muslims living in Arakan province and burned houses and workplaces belonging to the minority group. Rohingya Muslims are not seen as citizens of Myanmar by Myanmar’s leaders, officials and fanatic Buddhists, and as a result are exposed to discrimination.

Arakan Muslims, who escaped the massacre in Myanmar, have taken shelter in camps in the border villages of Bangladesh’s Cox Bazaar district and are struggling to survive in difficult weather conditions in makeshift camps. According to UN sources, as a result of attacks by security forces targeting Muslims, nearly 100,000 people have left their homes since the beginning of the ethno-religious tension.

Source: Today’s Zaman 31 July 2012


Related News

Turkish charity dedicates well in Africa to brutally killed Özgecan Aslan

The Turkish charity organization Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There?) constructed in a small town in one of Africa’s poorest countries, Chad, dedicated to the memory of Özgecan Aslan, who was brutally murdered in Mersin province on Feb. 11.

Gülen-linked teachers, businessman detained in Afghanistan

Afghan security officials detained at least four people affiliated with the Gulen movement on Tuesday, according to several media outlets. The incident came hours after Afghan President Ashraf Ghani left the country to attend an Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) summit in Istanbul, Reuters said.

Islamabad High Court moved against expected closure of Turkish schools

The Islamabad High Court yesterday issued notices to ministries of foreign affairs and interior in a petition moved against any possible step of the government to close down the schools being run by Pak-Turk Education Foundation.

Kazakh President Nazarbayev hails Turkish schools in his country

“The Turkish schools in the country have made a big contribution to expanding the qualified human capital in Kazakhstan,” Nazarbayev was quoted as saying during a visit to Astana’s Nur Orda Kazakh-Turkish High School, where he attended a ceremony marking the start of the 2011-2012 school year in the country.

Turkish Community Donates $40,000 To Sandy Damaged Gerritsen Library, Elementary School

A coalition of Turkish-American organizations forked over $40,000 yesterday to the Gerritsen Beach library (2808 Gerritsen Avenue) and Gerritsen Beach Elementary School (P.S. 277), institutions that have suffered in the five months since Superstorm Sandy rocked the community. The donation came from Turkish-American groups, non-profits and businesses, spearheaded by Helping Hands Relief Foundation, Kimse Yokmu, […]

Two days in Kenya with Kimse Yok Mu

KYM Secretary General Savas Metin said this campus will function as a base in Malindi for the aid efforts to be done in the region. “We have brought drinking water for 1 million people, with the water wells we established in the drought-ridden Somalia, Ethiopia, Uganda and Kenya. We will not only educate underprivileged students at Light Academy but provide medical aid.”

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Police officers become victims of torture in Turkey

The legacy of a professor closing down schools

PM Erdoğan once defended Hizmet, said it was Feb. 28 [military coup] victim

European court rules Asya-like seizure of bank unfair

‘Erdoğan signed MGK decisions to curb Gülen movement that Ecevit resisted’

Minister Çelik supports Gülen’s call for Alevi-Sunni brotherhood

AK Party criticizes Hakan Şükür’s sudden resignation

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News