Hakan Yavuz: Der Spiegel’s inflammatory, biased journalism on Turkey story shocked me

Professor Hakan Yavuz (Photo: Cihan, İhsan Denli)
Professor Hakan Yavuz (Photo: Cihan, İhsan Denli)


Date posted: August 23, 2013

A Turkish-American professor has slammed German Der Spiegel’s what he called “inflammatory and biased” reporting in its article about the movement associated with Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.
“Reading today’s article on the Gülen movement was a real shock for me,” Yavuz, who is a professor at the University of Utah, told Today’s Zaman, referring to an article published in Der Spiegel on Wednesday.

Yavuz said the article violates the most basic ethics of journalism as they included a quote from him which he claimed he never said. “I never talked with these two journalists [who wrote the article],” Yavuz said.

Der Spiegel cited Yavuz in the article who allegedly said the Gülen movement will stop at nothing in its struggle to become the hegemonic power and that it terrorizes people.

Yavuz said he submitted a letter to the German magazine, demanding a correction.

The professor said the authors “cite me as if they have interviewed me for this controversial and quite inflammatory article.” He said he had never had an interview with one of the authors and only talked to the other correspondent several years ago, who published a long and biased article about the Gülen movement and had never cited him anyway.

Yavuz said he has never uttered the “inflammatory quotes attributed to me” to either of the authors and that it is shocking and shameful for them to have invented such a quote.

“This is a scandal and outrageous violation of the most basic standards of Western journalism. This is libelous and defamatory not only toward Mr. Gülen but also myself since I have been publically and falsely associated with these inflammatory comments which are not my own and do not reflect my well known views on the matter,” he added.

He demanded a public apology and immediate retraction or otherwise he will sue the media outlet.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 22, 2013


Related News

GYV slams slanderous accusations seeking to link Hizmet to terrorist PKK

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) has responded to a series of controversial claims and slanderous accusations that aim to associate the faith-based Gülen movement, also known as Hizmet movement, with the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), stressing once again that Hizmet rejects all kinds of violence.

Texas enjoys International Festival of Language and Culture

Around 3,000 people attended the 14th edition of the International Festival of Language and Culture, formerly known as the International Turkish Language Olympiad, in the US state of Texas on Saturday.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan is about to make himself a virtual dictator in Turkey

The proposed constitutional change grants the presidency new powers to directly appoint a vast range of public officials – cabinet ministers, provincial governors, and judges to the highest courts in the land. Simply put, the government’s plans are an enabling act: they are designed to strengthen the individual over the collective.

Claims about TİB plot to libel Hizmet spark massive reaction

Jurists and politicians reacted harshly to a claim in an email by an anonymous whistleblower from the Telecommunications Directorate (TİB), the agency responsible for carrying out legal wiretaps, that there is a conspiracy to bring the Hizmet movement under suspicion of infiltrating TİB.

Cold Turkey: Erdogan’s withdrawal from democracy

The bizarre, phantom-like failed coup d’etat staged against Erdoğan’s increasingly brutal regime on July 15 last year saw him seize the opportunity to exterminate, imprison and purge tens of thousands of his enemies, real and imagined, within all strata of civil society, the military, government, media, education, health, the judiciary and other institutions.

What is at stake is not prep schools [in Turkey]

Will Prime Minister Erdoğan really close prep schools down if he is bent on it? Why not? Although Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç, speaking after a Cabinet meeting last Monday, tried to reassure people by announcing that the government will discuss the matter once more with the stakeholders involved, PM Erdoğan refuted Arınç once again by saying they would shut them down. Isn’t this sufficient in showing his resolve in this regard?

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

4th International Panel for Sharing Coexistence Experience in Korea

Love and Tolerance Conference, Abuja

Irmak TV starts broadcast

Politically motivated police raid of kindergarten in west Turkey

Former US Ambassador David Newton praises Gülen

25-year-old woman escapes Turkey’s witch-hunt as Bosnia grants asylum

Why would Gulen choose to attempt a coup that’s contrary to all his views?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News