Former CHP Chairman Baykal supports joint mosque-cemevi project

Former CHP Chairman Deniz Baykal
Former CHP Chairman Deniz Baykal


Date posted: September 12, 2013

Deniz Baykal, the former leader of the Republican People’s Party (CHP), has expressed his support and appreciation for the first joint mosque-cemevi project.“I see this progress as a starting point for the cemevi [Alevi house of worship] to become officially recognized by the state,” Baykal said to the press in İzmir.
He explained that the words “mosque” and “cemevi” have the same origins and meaning — bringing people together. “In fact, there is no difference between these two houses of worship. I really appreciate the efforts spent for this project.”

The former CHP leader also maintained that mass prayer, which enables people to satisfy their spiritual appetites and feel togetherness in a community, is a need for all kinds of believers.

“Mosques stand for Sunnis to hold their congregational prayers; as do cemevis for Alevi people. They should be able to satisfy this very need of their beliefs, too,” Baykal said.

In respect to the recognition of the cemevi as an official place of worship, Baykal said that the Turkish state has lagged behind, but the latest progresses are promising. “We shouldn’t limit ourselves to a cemevi beside a mosque. It could have been beside a synagogue, or a church or all by itself. No difference exists between houses of worship,” he also said.

The groundbreaking ceremony of the first ever joint mosque-cemevi culture center was held in Ankara on Sunday with the participation of a number of government figures as well as Alevi and Sunni community leaders and members of the public.

The project aims to strengthen ties between the Alevi and Sunni communities in Turkey in the face of the ignition of sectarian tension in the Middle East.

The project in Ankara, which was proposed by Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, is being financed by businessmen both from the Alevi and Sunni communities and is being conducted by the CEM Foundation and the Hacı Bektaş Veli Culture, Education, Health and Research Foundation.

There are plans to launch joint mosque-cemevi projects in five other Turkish provinces in addition to the recently launched project in Ankara, the Radikal daily reported on Tuesday.

According to the daily, the locations of the new mosque-cemevi projects will be in the Kartal district of İstanbul, the Çiğli district of İzmir, Çorum, Adana and Gaziantep.

Source: Today's Zaman , September 11, 2013


Related News

Transparency and trust is our only weapon says Turkish NGO chairman

İsmail Cingöz underlined how Kimse Yok Mu is an organization praised around the world for its independent, transparent and efficient humanitarian aid activities and that the current investigation of it being an armed terrorist group is being closely monitored by international agencies including those in the UN and EU.

D.C.-based law firm gathers intel on U.S. residents for Turkey – WSJ

The Turkish government has employed a Washington D.C.-based law firm to gather information on its critics, including U.S. residents, the Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday.

‘Building Bridges Through Education’ explores education’s role in a globalized society

Leaders of more than a dozen universities from around the world recently visited California University of Pennsylvania to discuss collaborative educational opportunities and the cultural gap that education can bridge.

Unmasking Turkey’s most wanted man

Gülen had been charged after the military coups in 1971 and 1980, and again in the late 1990s. Gülen was acquitted of the charges three times.

Loyal depositors shoulder Turkey’s Bank Asya while political war rages

Selling everything from their sofas to their wedding rings, Bank Asya clients are battling to shore up the Turkish lender against what they say is a government-orchestrated bid to scuttle it.

Pregnant woman kept in prison for 4 months over Gülen links despite regulations

Arzu Nur Özkan, a former teacher, has been in Bünyan Prison in Kayseri province for the last four months for alleged links to the Gülen movement despite being six months pregnant. Özkan is experiencing complications related to her pregnancy and is frequently put in quarantine cells because of her hospital visits.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Deepening crisis

Turkey’s failed coup has spread to the classroom in EU states

Egypt Today’s interview with Fethullah Gülen, home sickness and fabricated coup

Why I Asked National Security Adviser to Stop Turkish Espionage on Nigeria

Gülen’s teachings discussed this time in New York

Paranoia: Turkish ‘hero’ T-shirts land dozens in jail

Turkey: Democracy in peril – A human rights report

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News