Cemevi next to mosque embraced by residents in Malatya


Date posted: September 17, 2013

Since the groundbreaking ceremony of the first ever joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi place of worship) culture center was held in Ankara on Sept. 8, there has been an ongoing debate on the presence of joint religious centers, with Cihan news agency reporting on Monday of a site in Malatya’s Doğanyol district that has a mosque and a cemevi standing side by side that is embraced by the residents.

The mosque, which has been in Örmeli village in Malatya since 1978, was joined by a cemevi in 2007. There is only a lane between the mosque and the cemevi, and both of their entrances face each other. The residents of the village, which has a population of 310 people, have not ever found it strange to see a mosque and a cemevi next to each other.

The people of the village told reporters that everyone is free to choose where they wish to pray, the mosque or the cemevi. They think of this practice as a sign of tolerance and a good example of the richness of diversity.

Örmeli Muhtar (village head) Hacı Bayram Türkeri told reporters that a healthcare center near the mosque was later turned into a cemevi by the villagers since no doctors were assigned to the center. “Some of the villagers go to the mosque, while others prefer the cemevi. There has never been a problem with that,” Türkeri said.

Türkeri also stated that the villagers demanded a dede (Alevi cleric) be assigned to the village cemevi, just as one was assigned to the mosque. He added: “We would like to perform our prayers as per our traditions. After all, we are all calling people to the way of God, not anywhere else.”

Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen recently initiated a plan for a cultural center with a mosque and a cemevi together in Ankara’s Mamak district. The project is being financed by six businessmen — three Alevis and three Sunnis.

The project aims to strengthen ties between the Alevi and Sunni communities in Turkey in the face of efforts to ignite sectarian tension in the Middle East.

However, the project has drawn criticisms from some marginal Alevi and Sunni circles and a group of nearly 500 people protested the project, clashing with the police and throwing stones at them during the project’s groundbreaking ceremony on Sept. 8.

Source: Today's Zaman , September 16, 2013


Related News

Astonishing questions about the failed coup attempt in Turkey

Critics claim that this failed coup attempt was simply a pretext to legitimize arbitrary authoritarian practices, eliminate all the dissent while filling the state apparatus with staunch supporters, and start an ethnic cleansing against sympathizers of the Gulen movement and Alawites.

U.S. Not Persuaded to Extradite Fethullah Gulen Over Turkey Coup

Officials aren’t convinced by evidence against Fethullah Gulen, Pennsylvania-based imam who Turkey says masterminded the failed putsch. U.S. officials don’t expect to extradite an imam Turkey blames for masterminding a failed coup because they aren’t convinced by the evidence Ankara has presented so far and are troubled by threatening public statements from Turkish officials, according to people familiar with the discussions.

Turkish business suffers under Erdogan’s post-coup Gulen purge

Critics of the ruling AKP expect it to sell Gulen-linked companies to government allies in the business world at a large discount. In mid-October the AKP-linked Metro Holding applied to the TMSF to acquire all of Koza Ipek Holding’s shares. Akin Ipek, the fugitive former owner of the conglomerate, asked on Twitter how Koza Ipek’s $600 million in cash and $20 billion in mining assets could be acquired by a comparatively unimpressive entity. Metro Holding’s capital comes to just over $95 million.

Turkey’s spying imams also active in Norway: monitoring group

Norwegian Islamist religious organizations that are affiliated with the Turkish government and its Religious Affairs Directorate (Diyanet) are reportedly involved in unlawful profiling activities of unsuspecting people of Turkish origin across Norway.

The story of the government media’s smear campaign against Hizmet

The pro-government media — or more correctly the “government media,” as it has become apparent that they have been bought by businessmen under orders from the prime minister — has manufactured and published lies about the Hizmet movement, which has a four-decade proud history in Turkey, in an attempt to create the perception that it is a criminal organization.

Grondahl: Turkish community strong in wake of threats from back home

After a three-year hiatus, forced underground by fear of political retaliation from the repressive autocratic Erdogan regime in Turkey, members of the local Turkish community are re-emerging.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Today’s Zaman’s Mahir Zeynalov leaves Turkey under deportation threat

New mom jailed with baby for alleged ties to Turkey coup

Prof. İzzettin Doğan: Ramadan is opportunity to get to know Islam

TUSKON encourages mutual Russian-Turkish investment

Turkey Assails a Revered Islamic Moderate

Turkish school opens in Canada

Turkey’s Erdogan attempts to have Gambia close down Turkish schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News