Kosovo grants asylum to Turkish national


Date posted: April 6, 2018

Labinot Leposhtica

About five months after submitting a request for asylum, Ugur Toksoy, a Turkish national whose  extradition procedures to Turkey were terminated by the State Prosecution in December last year, was granted refugee status in Kosovo.

In October last year, Toksoy, a teacher working in the Hasan Nahi school in Prizren, was arrested by the Kosovo Police on a Turkish warrant, suspected of having ties to the so-called terrorist Feto organization, led by the cleric Fethullah Gulen.

Thousands of Turkish nationals affiliated with the cleric who lives in exile in the US have fled Turkey after the failed coup in August 2016. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan claims the coup was plotted by Gulen and his followers.

Facing extradition, Toksoy submitted an asylum request on November 3, 2017. Extradition procedures were suspended in December 14, and his asylum request was finally approved on March 28, 2018, confirmed Toksoy’s attorney Leutrim Syla on Friday.

In his request, Toksoy claimed that he was politically persecuted in his country of origin and if he returned, he would suffer serious damage for political reasons.

The move comes a week after Kosovo deported six Turkish nationals in an operation involving Kosovo Police, Kosovo Intelligence Agency, AKI, and the Turkish intelligence. The six deportees, who were legal residents in Kosovo, were deported because they were  “a national security threat,” Kosovo authorities maintain.

Kosovo Prime Minister Haradinaj condemned the operation, claiming ignorance. As a result, Haradinaj dismissed both the Minister of Internal Affairs Flamur Sefaj and AKI director Driton Gashi. The latter failed to appear and report in front of the Assembly Commision for AKI on Wednesday, and has not submitted his letter of resignation yet. Both the Kosovo PM and President need to sign his dismissal. It is unclear whether President Thaci will do so.

 

Source: Prishtina Insight , April 6, 2018


Related News

Gülen calls on followers to adapt to PM’s teaching center closures

“If they close your homes, you should open dorms. If they close your dorms, you will open new homes. If they close your schools, you will respond by opening a university. And when they close your university, you should open ten schools. You should never stop marching,” Gülen said in a video that was posted at Herkül.org, a website close to the movement.

Turks Taught Us How to Invest In Education, says Congolese Minister

Cihan News Agency In his remarks at the opening ceremony of Shafak International Turkish Schools’ new campus sponsored by businesspeople from Adana province of Turkey, Republic of Congo Minister of Education Mr. Maker Mwangu Famba expressed his admiration of high quality education offered at the schools. “They have accomplished what our President points us in […]

Academic says Gülen movement followers should be sent to rehabilitation camps

A professor of communications, Muttalip Kutluk Özgüven, has said followers of the Gülen movement should be sent to rehabilitation camps and subjected to psychological treatment. “Their bodies do not belong to them. They have to serve Turkey’s interests,” he said.

9-year-old Turkish girl drowns while trying to cross Evros River

Nine-year-old Nurefşan Teke drowned on Thursday while trying to cross the Evros River with her mother Neslihan in order to reunite with her father, who had to flee Turkey five years ago due to an ongoing government crackdown on alleged members of the Gülen movement.

Turkey ‘looking for scapegoats’ by linking schools in Nigeria to failed coup

Speaking with TheCable in an interview on Friday, Cemal Yigit, spokesman of NTIC, said Gulen does not own the Turkish schools in Nigeria, and that the schools are the property of private investors – some of them Nigerians. He said that the Turkish government was on a purge of the opposition in Turkey, and that it was trying to decimate any organisation that shared the philosophy of Gulen by tagging them terrorists.

Turkey builds 50 more prisons for Gülenists: Justice Minister

Turkish Justice Ministry Undersecretary Kenan İpek on Tuesday said more than 50 prisons are under construction for the incarceration of people linked to the Gülen group.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Worldview: No evidence, no extradition of Pa. cleric to Turkey

The Real Enemy Within Turkey

AK Party deputy Hakan Şükür against closure of prep schools

President Gul says debates over prep schools should not lead to ‘resentment’

Why is the Gulen movement’s statement on press freedom significant?

40 CSOs in US slam hate speech being used by gov’t officials

“InnovAction for Poverty” International Research Paper Competition

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News