Nigerian govt reacts to planned deportation of 1000 Turks


Date posted: October 24, 2017

Wale Odunsi

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama has refuted reports that 1,000 Turks will be extradited from Nigeria on the request of the Turkish government.

Onyeama was said to have told journalists, weekend, in Istanbul, Turkey that Nigerian government was considering deporting the Turkish nationals suspected to belong to the Gulen movement.

The Turkish government said the movement was responsible for the last year’s botched coup in that country, an accusation the Gulen movement denied.


Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama has refuted reports that 1,000 Turks will be extradited from Nigeria on the request of the Turkish government. Onyeama assured all foreign nationals, including Turks resident in the country legally, of full protection under Nigerian and International Laws.


The minister was quoted as saying: “There was the request for the extradition of some of the Turks in Nigeria who have been given asylum and recognized by the United Nations as political refugees and the Turkish government requested that we extradite some of them.

“There was also the request that the schools and hospitals established by Gülen Movement should be closed in Nigeria. They now labelled Fethtulah as a terrorist organization”.

Reacting via a statement by his media aide, Sarah Sanda, the minister insisted there was no agreement between the two governments to extradite certain Turks.

Onyeama assured all foreign nationals, including Turks resident in the country legally, of full protection under Nigerian and International Laws.

“Every individual of whatever nationality, legally residing in Nigeria is guaranteed full protection under Nigerian and International Laws,” he said.

 

Source: Daily Post , October 24, 2017


Related News

Why the West ‘failed to understand’ Turkey

Erdoğan has exploited the presence of Gülen-inspired people in the state bureaucracy as a tool to silence all opposition and grasp yet more power. If the Gülen movement did not exist, the president would have needed to create another “enemy of the state” to fight against in order to reach his ultimate aim.

Turkish Olympiad Finals add a festive air to Kiev

On March 30, a feast of Turkish language was enjoyed in Kiev, at Ukraine finals of Turkish Language Olympiads to mark its 11th year. The award ceremony of the finals, for which 204 finalist students out of approximately 2,500 qualified, took place at the centrally located Ukraine House in Kiev. In attendance of the final […]

Turkey’s Erdogan and onslaughts against opposition

Gulen movement, which is inspired by the highly-respected United States based cleric, Fethullah Gulen, has been brazenly targeted for total destruction by President Erdogan after the failed coup in that country few months ago. The iron-hand President accused members and sympathisers of the movement as being behind the coup.

Turkish school to train Brazil’s math geniuses

Colégio Belo Futuro, the Turkish school, in Brazil’s Sao Paulo has launched a math contest to be annual that received remarkable interest. Being the nation’s first privately-initiated math contest, “BELOMAT” saw the participation of a large number of students and education professionals in its first year. The contest aimes to encourage participation in national and international math events.

Liberia – Turkish school system holds 7th Science Fair

The Turkish Light International School System campus came alive when students between ages 10 and 18 demonstrated their talents in a science exhibition. The school’s science and technology department has attracted many students to enroll in the institution.

Turkish doctors hailed for their assistance in CAR

Minister of Public Health, Social Affairs and Humanitarian Action Marguerite Samba of the Central African Republic (CAR) has expressed gratitude to the Global doctors Movement, a Turkish organization, for their assistance and medical services.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

University preparatory courses and the Hizmet movement in Turkey

Actually, the president is electing his republic

Has Erdoğan convinced EU of the existence of a ‘parallel state’?

Turkey seizes billions of dollars worth 691 companies over alleged ties to Gülen movement

Arrested Turkish Development

Germany Declines Turkish Request to Freeze Gulen Assets

Coup attempt in 2016 was Erdoğan’s Reichstag fire

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News