Gülen says planned assassinations of prominent figures in Turkey could be blamed on him


Date posted: August 14, 2017

US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who is accused by the Turkish government and president of masterminding a failed coup in Turkey last year, on Sunday said government circles that have scapegoated him and his movement for all the crimes in Turkey are planning to assassinate prominent people in Turkey and put the blame on him and his followers.

In a video shared Sunday night on the Herkul.org website, where his speeches are aired, Gülen said after a graft probe in 2013 and the July 15 coup attempt, government circles are now planning to pin the blame on him and his movement, also known as Hizmet, for the planned assassination of several famous figures in Turkey.

Underlining that dark power circles around the government were not successful in convincing people and especially the international community of Hizmet followers being behind the failed coup last year, Gülen said they have prepared a serious plan to assassinate important people in Turkey and link it to him in order to turn people against the movement.

“Now others [government circles] are thinking: ‘So what should we do now? We need something more serious, we need to assassinate a few very important people, and finish them [Hizmet followers] off’,” he said.

“Do you understand what I’m talking about here? I’m telling you of things that are being talked about by everyone, things plotted behind closed doors but now being uttered publicly. They’re saying, ‘Let us take care of [assassinate] a few important names, stir up some commotion in such a way that people will surely view it as a ‘coup,’ and thus we will have fooled all those who haven’t already been convinced.

“From now on, in one sense, they must find an excuse to be able to get away with the things they want to get away with. And for the sake of that excuse, there’s no limit to the degree of mischief they are willing to undertake.

“In that respect, those who stand before the door of the Almighty, those who wish to knock on His door of Mercy, must bear in mind that awful things may be awaiting them in the near future, and they must move forward with sharp intellect, foresight and vigilance,” he said.

On Saturday Turkish Minute columnist Abdullah Bozkurt wrote that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is now contemplating orchestrating assassinations at home targeting high-profile figures and murders abroad to intimidate and silence his critics in exile.

“By doing so, Erdoğan will keep undermining the independent opposition groups that he has failed to coopt with incentives such as money and positions in the government or could not scare through intimidation. This is crucial for his rule leading up to the 2019 presidential and parliamentary elections that are key for his survival given the worsening economic outlook, growing security challenges in Turkey and its neighborhood and festering antagonism among various social and ethnic groups,” Bozkurt said.

When a major graft scandal erupted in December 2013, Erdoğan and his ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) claimed that the investigations were carried out by police officers and members of the judiciary who were affiliated with the Gülen movement. Erdoğan called the probes “coup attempts against his government” and torpedoed the investigations by purging and jailing most of the police officers, prosecutors and judges who oversaw the graft probes.

When some putschist soldiers attempted a military coup on July 15, 2016, Erdoğan immediately blamed Gülen for being behind the coup and launched a wide-scale witch-hunt against Hizmet followers.

 

Source: Turkish Minute , August 14, 2017


Related News

Keep Incirlik, Extradite Gülen?

A true ally would not try to obstruct the international campaign against the Islamic State for the sake of a leader’s personal vendetta. To acquiesce to the extradition [of Fethullah Gulen] would be to signal that it’s open season to blackmail the United States.

Kosovo detains Gülen-linked teacher at Turkey’s request

A Turkish teacher named Uğur Toksoy was detained by Kosovo authorities just following a visit by Ankara Chief Prosecutor Yüksel Kocaman, over his alleged links to the Gülen movement on Friday.

Turkey’s counter-terrorism campaign [against Hizmet] discredited

The agenda of the Turkish authorities [against Hizmet] goes far beyond the attempted coup, it is about the need to neutralise a movement that became a political threat when its followers within the judiciary and police started exposing corruption within the government’s ruling inner circle in December 2013.

Gülen’s lawyer: Views other than state ideology considered a crime in Turkey

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer of prominent Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has criticized the blocking of herkul.org, a website that regularly broadcasts speeches by Gülen, saying views that are different from the state ideology are considered a crime in Turkey today.

Crackdown in Turkey felt in Capital Region

Volunteers at the Turkish Cultural Center of Albany offered Turkish language and cooking classes, invited the public to Ramadan friendship dinners and sought to build a bridge between East and West by leading a dialogue between Muslims and non-Muslims. They were research scientists, professors, graduate students, state employees and restaurant owners.

Gülen movement discussed at EP in light of recent political developments in Turkey

A panel discussion was organized by the Brussels-based Intercultural Dialogue Platform in the European Parliament (EP) to give information about the faith-based Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement, especially within the framework of recent developments in Turkish politics.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Why is Erdoğan hostile to Turkish schools?

Obama Adviser Praises Fethullah Gulen and Gulen Movement

78 detained for raising money for post-coup purge victims

Michael Rubin: I realize I may have misread the Gülen movement

Erdogan’s long arm abroad: no way to get passports, facing deportation to Turkey, no help!

Kimse Yok Mu offers cataract surgery to 2,000 Nepalese

Peshawar High Court halts government order to deport Pak-Turk school staff

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News