Turkish PM admits did not know identity of putschists when he blamed Gülen movement


Date posted: July 20, 2017

A year after a failed coup on July 15, 2016, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said he did not know who had attempted to carry out the coup when they blamed the Gülen movement, in an interview published in Hürriyet.

“I, myself, create the main opinion. We spoke with our president [Recep Tayyip Erdoğan] and concluded that it could have been an attempt by FETÖ [a derogatory term used by government circles to refer to the Gülen movement] members. … That could have been true or false at that moment,” said Yıldırım.

Writing a column about the interview with Yıldırım, columnist Murat Yetkin underlined that Yıldırım was still unhappy with National Intelligence Organization (MİT) Undersecretary Hakan Fidan for not informing him about the coup attempt despite the fact that he learned of it hours before it started.

“The prime minister says MİT Undersecretary Fidan called between 22:30 and 23:00, ‘maybe 22:40′,” wrote Yetkin, stating that it is not known whether Fidan called him before or not but that the prime minister clearly said he did not learn about the coup attempt from Fidan.

“The time [when he talked with Fidan on the phone] is important because the prime minister had a live call with NTV at 22:03 as the first official [announcing the coup attempt] and said the attempt was not within the chain of command or an order from the Turkish Armed Forces, but rather that an effort by a junta within the army and Fethullahists [people sympathetic to Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen] were masterminding it.”

Questioning how it was possible that the prime minister had not been informed at 10:40 p.m. despite the fact that a major had notified MIT at 16:10 about a possible coup attempt and Fidan went to military headquarters at 18:10 to speak with Chief of General Staff Gen. Hulusi Akar about how serious the plan was, Yetkin also asked how it was possible not to inform Yıldırım about the coup despite the fact that some soldiers had taken to the streets and jets had been flying over Ankara from 21:00 on.

Yetkin emphasized that Prime Minister Yıldırım has been displeased with the situation of not being informed by MİT’s Fidan despite a year having passed since the coup attempt.

“I have asked this to the head of MİT. ‘How is it possible?’ I said. The prime minister is not aware of it, the president is not aware of it. OK, informing the chief of general staff is pretty normal, but the prime minister should also have been informed because you are responsible to him. But he could not respond to this. He didn’t say anything,” Yıldırım had said in an interview following the coup attempt last year.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15, 2015 that killed 249 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Fethullah Gülen, who inspired the movement, strongly denied having any role in the failed coup and called for an international investigation into it, but President Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş announced on July 18 that 111,240 civil servants have been dismissed from their jobs while 33,180 others were suspended since the botched coup .

Turkish Justice Minister Bekir Bozdağ announced on July 7, 2017 that at least 50,504 people have been arrested and 168,801 are the subject of legal proceedings.

Contrary to accusations made by President Erdoğan and the Turkish government, the Foreign Affairs Committee of the UK Parliament concluded in March that Gülen and the movement he inspired as a whole were not behind the failed coup in Turkey.

The UK Parliament statement came a week after Germany rejected Erdoğan and the Turkish government’s accusations against the Gülen movement about July 15.

The head of Germany’s Federal Intelligence Service (BND), Bruno Kahl, said Turkey could not convince them that US-based Turkish-Islamic scholar Gülen was behind the failed coup in July.

Similarly, Devin Nunes, chairman of United States House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, said he has not seen any evidence showing Gülen’s involvement in the putsch in Turkey.

In addition, a report prepared by the EU Intelligence Analysis Centre (IntCen) revealed that the coup attempt was staged by a range of Erdoğan’s opponents due to fears of an impending purge.

Source: Turkish Minute , July 20, 2017


Related News

Gov’t inspects Gülen-inspired schools while ignoring run-down state schools

The poor condition of state schools in Turkey was exposed by Today’s Zaman reporters on Monday, who found that despite the government expending considerable resources investigating and raiding private educational institutions sympathetic to the Gülen movement, many state schools fail to meet even basic health and safety standards.

JWF strongly condemns this terrorist attack on the Charlie Hebdo

Twelve people including two police officers were killed in a shooting at the Paris offices of the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo on Wednesday, according to Reuters.

Enes Kanter: “I’m getting death threats almost every day”

Appearing on “CBS This Morning” Monday, Kanter said the trouble began while he was in Indonesia: “I was sleeping around 2:30 or something and my manager knocked on my door. He said the Secret Service and the Indonesian army were looking for me because the Turkish government told them I was a dangerous man.

One Year On, New Research Uncovers Turkey’s Coup Bid Staged By Erdoğan Himself

The report uncovered a critical information that the plot was actually kicked off on July 11 with secret orders given by generals who corroborated with Turkey’s autocratic President Erdogan’s defense and intelligence chiefs in disguising the plan as unconventional action plan. Only a handful men were let into the secret plot while many were led to believe a drill or an urgent response to a terror threat is underway.

Turkish President Gül: Turkish schools abroad largest non-state project

11 June 2012 / TODAYSZAMAN.COM Turkish President Abdullah Gül has said Turkish schools abroad are the largest non-state project Turkey has ever seen, noting that the schools’ value will only increase in the future. Organizers and participants in the 10th International Turkish Olympiads presented the Karamanoğlu Mehmet Bey Turkish Language Award to the president, who […]

Academic Freedom in Turkey Under Seige

It appears that Fethullah Gülen, a U.S.-based Islamic preacher from Turkey who promotes peace and tolerance, and the schools associated with his religious Hizmet movement can’t get a break. Now, Gülen’s schools are being targeted in his home country by the Turkish government’s ruling Justice and Development Party, known as the AKP, which should dispel any notion in the U.S. that the AKP is somehow in cahoots with the Gülen movement.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gülen’s Statement on the Shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada

International Panel: The Virgin Mary in the Holy Books [in Istanbul]

ISPO becomes Turkish schools’ success story in Indonesia

The Peace Islands Institute of New Jersey Awards Recognize Excellence

SEASON OF PEACE: Moderate Islam has a voice if you listen

Turkish school shows EU already chose Turkey

Gülen’s Statement of Condemnation for Terrorist Attack Against the Coptic Christian Community in Egypt

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News