German Greens MEP backs Gülen school official’s plea against extradition


Date posted: July 17, 2017

TBILISI, DFWatch–The head of the Greens faction in the EU parliament calls on Georgia not to extradite a school manager to Turkey.

“To be a teacher is not a crime,” said Rebecca Harms, a German politician who is current head of the Greens-European Free Alliance in the EU parliament.

She was speaking at a press conference in Tbilisi after visiting Mustafa Emre Cabuk in prison on Sunday.

Cabuk was detained in May. The Demireli School in Tbilisi where he works is part of the educational network of the US-based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gülen, whom Turkey blames for the failed coup attempt in July, 2016.

Lawyers warn that he may face inhumane treatment in Turkey if extradited.

Last week, Cabuk asked for political asylum in Georgia, but the Georgian government turned down his request. Harms urged authorities to offer him refugee status.

She was appearing alongside Cabuk’s wife and lawyers at another Gülen-linked school, called Skhivi.

“I am convinced that @governmentGeo @coe & EU memberstates must be principled. Extradition to Turkey is impossible,” Harms wrote on Twitter.

Mukhtarli’s abduction

Harms also met with Leila Mustafaeva, wife of Azerbaijani investigative journalist Afgan Mukhtarli, whose abduction in Tbilisi in May sparked outrage, particularly about the alleged involvement of Georgian law enforcers. Harms called on Georgian authorities to conduct a fair and independent investigation into the case.

Source: Democracy & Freedom Watch , July 17, 2016


Related News

Journalist Gültaşlı: European institutions are ‘cherry-picking’ imprisoned journalists in Turkey

“It is getting increasingly clear that European institutions are ‘cherry-picking’ the imprisoned journalists in Turkey for whom they want to protest,” wrote journalist Selçuk Gültaşlı, who was Brussels bureau chief for the Turkish Zaman newspaper, on the Brussels-based online news website euobserver.com on Tuesday.

Erdogan vows for genocide of Gulen sympathizers: “We will not give them the right to life!”

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who has been waging a relentless war against followers of the faith-based Gülen movement in Turkey for the past several years, has said Gülen movement sympathizers in the country will not enjoy the right to life.

Turkish man in Netherlands sentenced for threatening Erdogan critic

O.E., a 19-year-old supporter of the Justice and Development Party (AKP), who threatened to kill M.D. (32), a sympathizer of the Gülen movement who live in the Netherlands’ Tilburg city was sentenced by a Dutch court.

Turkish school to open many new branches in Egypt

The Turkish school, which is regarded as one of the best schools in Egypt, currently has two branches in Cairo and Beni Suef with 1000 students. Turkish Salahaldin International School plans to open ten new branches within three years in Egypt, the school’s director general has said. The Turkish school, which is regarded as one […]

Turkish Deputy PM rules out ‘ill will’ against Gülen community, unveils prep school draft details

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç has announced September 2015 as the deadline for the “transformation” of private examination prep schools (dershanes) into private schools, while denying that the move represents hostility toward the “Hizmet” (Service) movement of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. Speaking after a 7.5-hour-long Cabinet meeting on Dec. 2, Arınç also announced January 2014 […]

Turkey’s purges are hitting its business class

It is not clear when the government will begin auctioning off seized firms. The risk is that the economy may gradually come to resemble Russia’s, where political loyalty is the price for keeping a slice of the pie. “It is like watching a piece of snow roll down a mountain,” says a veteran civil servant ousted in one of the purges. “You think it won’t hit you, until you realise it’s becoming an avalanche.”

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gülen’s prospects for inter-religious dialogue

Fethullah Gulen: ISIL Actions, Disgrace to Faith

Turkish president approves closure of schools run by Erdogan rival

Fethullah Gülen’s vision – Building bridges in Los Angeles

Fethullah Gulen will be awarded the prestigious Manhae Grand Prize

AK Party government removing critical voices from state bodies

The consequences of tyranny never change

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News