Exiled Turkish Leader Gulen Slams Erdogan for Coup Attempt in Report


Date posted: July 8, 2017

Todd Beamon

A coup attempt in Turkey last July that killed more than 300 people was an “outrageous, heinous scenario constructed by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his accomplices,” Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gulen said this week.

The comments by Gulen, 76, has lived in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania since 1999, were included in a report released Wednesday by the Stockholm Center for Freedom in Sweden.

 Erdogan has accused the Hizmet movement that Gulen inspired of causing the July 15 coup attempt.

Gulen said government’s accusations were “launched to pursue an unprecedented witch-hunt against the movement.”

His comments were included in the 191-page report, which was disclosed by Turkishminute.com.

According to news reports, more than 300 people were killed and over 2,100 were injured during the coup attempt.

In the aftermath, at least 40,000 people were detained, including as many as 10,000 soldiers and 2,745 judges.

Overall, more than 100,000 people have been arrested or fired from their jobs, accused of having connections to Gulen.

According to the Stockholm Center’s report, Gulen “made it clear if anyone who was sympathetic to the Hizmet movement took part in this heinous act, they betrayed the very ideals of the movement.

“Gulen reiterated his call for an international commission to thoroughly investigate the coup, an offer that [Erdogan] has failed to respond [to],” the report said.

“Last year’s failed coup attempt in Turkey [was] nothing but a false flag orchestrated by Turkey’s autocratic President Erdogan and his henchmen to create a pretext for [the] mass persecution of critics and opponents in a state of perpetual emergency,” the report concluded.

Source: Newsmax , July 7, 2017


Related News

Islamic scholar Gülen offers condolences to Berkin’s family

Dismayed by unconstructive language adopted by government officials over social issues, Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullan Gülen offered his deep condolences to family of Berkin Elvan, the latest victim of Gezi Park protests, in a statement late on Tuesday.

TUSİAD chairman says does not see ‘parallel structure’ within state

Turkish Industrialists and Businessmen’s Association (TÜSİAD) Chairman Haluk Dinçer has said that he does not see any “parallel structure” within the state as is asserted by pro-government circles, adding that discharging some police officers on accusations of illegal wiretapping does not prove the existence of such a structure.

Islamic scholars convene at ijtihad symposium in İstanbul

Around 100 Islamic scholars from many parts of the world gathered at İstanbul Congress Center at ijtihad conference organized by Yeni ümit and Hira Magazines.

Police chief request promotion for taking part in ‘parallel’ witch-hunt

Eskişehir Deputy Police Chief Şakir Engin Korkmaz has filed a letter requesting a sanction banning his promotion be lifted on grounds that he had taken part in the ongoing operation against the so-called parallel state, which has been described as a witch hunt.

Gülen offers condolences for slain İstanbul resident shot at protest

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has offered condolences for Uğur Kurt, a 34-year-old who was waiting to attend a funeral outside a cemevi, an Alevi house of worship, was hit by a stray bullet allegedly from a police weapon and died in hospital on Thursday night.

Keep Incirlik, Extradite Gülen?

A true ally would not try to obstruct the international campaign against the Islamic State for the sake of a leader’s personal vendetta. To acquiesce to the extradition [of Fethullah Gulen] would be to signal that it’s open season to blackmail the United States.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Turkish charities ready to deliver aid during Eid al-Adha

Terrorist organization seeks to fill void in Southeast after closure of prep schools

Ebru TV telethon collects nearly $800,000 for victims of Turkey quake

Gülen’s followers banned from mosque in Germany

Islamic scholar Gülen offers condolences to Berkin’s family

Meat Distribution during the Feast of Sacrifice

How did we step into the missionary threat trap?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News