66,000 students relocated after Turkish government shut down 15 universities over coup charges


Date posted: June 11, 2017

Turkish government has closed down 15 universities across the country over their alleged links to the Gulen movement since last summer, leading 66,000 students to look for somewhere else to continue their education.

The government shuttered under post-coup emergency rule Fatih University, Murat Hudavendigar University and Suleyman Sah University in Istanbul, Orhan Gazi University in Bursa, Gediz University, Izmir University and Sifa University in Izmir, Altin Koza University and Turgut Ozal University in Ankara, Mevlana University in Konya, Canik Basari University in Samsun, Melik Sah University in Kayseri, Kanuni University in Adana, Zirve University in Gaziantep and Selahattin Eyyubi University in Diyarbakir.

Some 66,000 students registered to those universities were left to enroll in other universities, Gazete Duvar online news portal said.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed over 240 people. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government along with Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement despite the latter’s denials of involvement.

With hundreds of institutions including universities seized, more than 120,000 people have been detained over alleged or real links to the movement so far.

Source: Turkey Purge , June 11, 2017


Related News

My Father, Academic, Arrested In Turkey Purge

13 days have passed since my father was taken from us by the police and we still did not have a chance to speak with him. His lawyers predict that it may take up to at least six months until he goes to the court. The most painful moment was when I saw in the news that 14 militants linked to ISIS, from whom the police captured AK-47s, were released on the same day. Turkey now views my father and his colleagues more dangerous than ISIS militants.

Erdogan’s False Promises To Africa

The main issue Erdogan raises with his African counterparts is not improving economic and political relations, but the closure of the Gulen movement schools or their transfer to the Turkish Maarif Foundation, which was established solely for this purpose. Mr. Erdogan seems to be using official development assistances and “other financial tools” as carrots to convince African leaders.

Enes Kanter: “I’m getting death threats almost every day”

Appearing on “CBS This Morning” Monday, Kanter said the trouble began while he was in Indonesia: “I was sleeping around 2:30 or something and my manager knocked on my door. He said the Secret Service and the Indonesian army were looking for me because the Turkish government told them I was a dangerous man.

Erdoğan and AK Party deputies split over hate speech against Hizmet

Apparently, not every Justice and Development Party (AK Party) member and minister is on board with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s hateful and insulting rhetoric against the Hizmet movement and Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and his followers.

81-year-old man sentenced to 10 years in jail over Gulen link

Mustafa Türk, an 81-year-old Turkish who has been under arrest over a year, was sentenced to 10 years in jail on charges of membership to a terrorist organization.

French court punishes death threats, attacks against Gülen sympathizers

Following attacks and threats against Gülen movement sympathizers by Turks across Europe, a French court has handed down verdicts punishing two men for vandalizing an educational institution and sending death threats.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Erdoğan’s image in the West

Teacher tortured to death by Turkish police found innocent, reinstated to job

Turkey wants India to crack down on ‘Gulen’ schools

Nigeria demands Turkey’s apology over ‘unjustifiable’ students deportation in coup crackdown

Neither conservative nor democrat

GYV holds reception for attendees of 70th UN General Assembly

Gülen’s lawyer: Targeting overseas Turkish educators breaks law

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News