New mom jailed with baby for alleged ties to Turkey coup


Date posted: May 16, 2017

Chris Perez

A woman in Turkey who just gave birth was arrested at the hospital and thrown behind bars three days later — along with her newborn baby — as part of the country’s widespread purge of “Gulenists,” a report says.

Aysun Aydemir could barely walk Monday as authorities took her away from Ekomar Hospital in the Ereğli district of Zonguldak for being an alleged supporter of Fethullah Gulen, a US-based Islamic cleric who is accused of being behind a failed coup attempt last summer.

At least 240 people were killed during the attempted takeover.

A photo posted on Twitter by Sezgin Tanrıkulu, Istanbul deputy of the Republican People’s Party (CHP), shows the new mom in a hospital bed, holding her child in her arms before she was detained.

Officers had been patiently waiting at the door of the delivery room while doctors performed an elective C-section on the English teacher and successfully delivered the baby, according to Turkey Purge, a local human rights organization.

They reportedly arrested Aydemir three days later and placed her in pretrial detention, along with the infant.

In his tweet, Tannkulu mentioned Justice Minister Bekir Bozdağ and called on him to do something.

“Is this your justice?” he asked, in Turkish.

The attempted coup on July 15, 2016 was ultimately aimed at President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and was said to have been led by the Fethullah Gulen Terrorist Organization, or FETO.

Since then, the government has been arresting countless people over suspected links to Gulen or the group — using a strange list of evidence and clues that can suggest who may or may not be a member.

The guidelines include having an account at Bank Asya, which was founded by Gulenists, and sending your children to a school that is simply associated with them, the New York Times reported.

Aydemir is just one of more than 47,000 people who have been reportedly arrested since the failed coup. Most have been civilians, but local police officers and military personnel have also been taken into custody, as well.

At least four other mothers, with newborns, have been detained by police and held under suspicion of treason.

Gulen, who has been living in exile in Pennsylvania since 1999, became a topic of discussion last month in New York after a Turkish prosecutor announced that he was investigating Sen. Chuck Schumer and former US Attorney Preet Bharara, among others, for alleged ties to the cleric.

Bharara was also accused of being a Gulen sympathizer last year, when he had Reza Zarrab — a dual Turkish-Iranian citizen with close ties to Erdogan — indicted on charges of conspiring to evade sanctions against Iran.

Source: New York Post , May 15, 2017


Related News

What to know about the group Erdogan is blaming for Turkey’s coup

Gülen’s movement presses for a moderate version of Sunni Islam that emphasizes tolerance and interfaith dialogue. The organization lacks any official hierarchy or structure, but followers have built up a network of think tanks, schools and publications in locations around the world.

5 million people expected to attend 11th Int’l Turkish Olympiads

İSA YAZAR Five million people are expected to watch the wide range of shows to be performed in 55 Turkish cities as part of the 11th International Turkish Olympiads, a festival that celebrates the Turkish language and is this year brings together 2,000 students from 140 countries. The 11th International Turkish Olympiads, which is organized […]

Kosovo PM Haradinaj: Deportation of Turkish citizens was hasty

Kosovo Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj reported to a parliamentary commission on Friday about the deportation of six Turkish citizens earlier this year.

Secretary Tillerson: Evidence against Gulen provided by Turkey inadequate, while voluminous

Mr Gulen denies any role in the failed coup in July, and US officials have privately said the evidence provided by Turkey has been inadequate, while voluminous. Prime Minister Binali Yildirim recently described the delay as a joke on Turkey.

Wife of veteran who lost hand, eyes in bomb attack under custody over Gülen links

Özlem Konakçı, the wife of former bomb disposal expert Bilal Konakçı, was detained over her alleged links to the Gülen movement. Bilal was retired from his position at İzmir Police Department after he lost his right hand and both eyes while trying to dispose of a bomb in 2009.

Comments on Turkey coup attempt by Prof. John Whyte

Prof. John Whyte’s comments on recent coup attemtp in Turkey.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Conference on Hizmet Movement to be held in Taipei

[VIDEO] Turkish philosophy teacher says wife had to give birth at home due to Erdogan’s witch-hunt

Turkey pays a price for purging counterterror professionals

Erdogan is transforming Turkey into a totalitarian prison

Kimse Yok Mu gears up to assist Malian refugees

Fethullah Gülen’s response to the ‘clash of civilizations’ thesis

Gov’t inspects Gülen-inspired schools while ignoring run-down state schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News