Gulen Slams Turkey Crackdown Before Erdogan Demands Extradition


Date posted: May 16, 2017

Selcan Hacaoglu

The exiled cleric accused by Turkey of orchestrating last year’s attempted coup charged President Recep Tayyip Erdogan with seeking to silence critics, as the Turkish leader prepared to push for the preacher’s extradition in a White House meeting with Donald Trump.

Turkey’s long-standing extradition request for the former Erdogan ally and now foe, Fethullah Gulen, has complicated ties with the U.S., a relationship already strained by American support for Kurdish forces fighting Islamic State in Syria. The State Department has said U.S. courts must handle the extradition application.

In an opinion piece published by the Washington Post, Gulen said Erdogan was “doing everything he can to amass power and subjugate dissent.” Turkey has fired or suspended about 150,000 people, including thousands of police officers, for links to Gulen’s movement. The cleric has denied charges he plotted the failed military putsch in July.

Turkey’s Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu kept up the pressure over Gulen in an article in Foreign Policy magazine on Monday. “Gulen who was declared by his cult as the ‘Imam of the Universe,’ has attempted to destroy democracy in Turkey,” the minister wrote. “The people of Turkey expect the U.S. authorities to take effective legal measures against this threat to our security and democracy, as an ally should.​”

Apart from the contentious issue of Gulen, Erdogan is expected to use his time with Trump in Washington to urge a rethink on Syria. Turkey considers the Kurdish YPG forces there to be a terrorist affiliate of the PKK that has been fighting for autonomy in southeast Turkey for more than three decades. He’s unlikely to be successful, though, as the Trump administration considers the Kurds as the only force capable of quickly capturing Islamic State’s self-declared capital of Raqqa.

“President Erdogan is sick and tired of being taken for a ride by Washington during the rule of the Obama administration and wants to walk out of the Oval Office with some clear answers and decisions that will be carried out,” Ilnur Cevik, a chief adviser to Erdogan, wrote in the Daily Sabah newspaper on Tuesday.

 

Source: Bloomberg , May 16, 2017


Related News

Opposition expresses concern for security of free and fair elections

Opposition parties have repeatedly warned members of the ruling party allegedly involved in graft that they would be held accountable for their corruption. That is the reason why a number of leading members of the AK Party, including Erdoğan, are taking the local elections as a life or death issue for themselves

Former US Ambassador David Newton praises Gülen

A former US ambassador has said he wishes Turkish intellectual Fethullah Gülen’s ideas will spread to the Arab world. David Newton, former US ambassador to Iraq and Yemen, said last week at an iftar (fast-breaking dinner) hosted by Maryland Turkish-American Inhabitants (MARTI), a non-profit organization established in December 2003, that “the mother of all values […]

Was prime minister able to convince the EU?

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan makes all of his political reinforcement in the judicial system. He uses all his political power, charisma and charm to block the corruption probes. For this reason, instead of convincing the EU, he tries to secure a temporary peace so that he can finish his job.

PACE concerned over lack of domestic remedy for purge victims in Turkey

Two rapporteurs for the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) on Wednesday expressed concern at the apparent lack of an effective domestic remedy for persons who have been dismissed from their jobs, arrested or detained by the Turkish authorities.

Pak-Turk schools: Parents urge government against transferring administration to Erdogan-linked organization

“All the Turkish teachers and administrators have left Pakistan and the schools are being run by Pakistanis,” said one of the parents Syed Amir Abdullah. He added that the government still seemed hell bent on ruining these institutions by handing them over to an ‘infamous organisation’ which has no experience of running them.

Alleged Gülen sympathizers in prison banned from communication with outside world

The İstanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office has prohibited individuals in Silivri Prison who are currently under arrest over their alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement from communicating with the outside world during an ongoing state of emergency, the Sözcü daily reported on Monday.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu sends next party of aid to Syrian refugees

Math Brings the Gold to Macedonian Turkish College

Gov’t pins hope on division in Turkey as Erdoğan resorts to hateful speech

‘Selam’ – We come in peace

KCK, Gülen, AKP: shifting alliances?

Canadian Journal Interviews Erdogan’s Victims in Greece: Fleeing oppression in Turkey

Turkey’s Judicial Purge Threatens the Rule of Law

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News