More Academics, Teachers, Charity Staff Detained Over Alleged Gülen Links


Date posted: April 20, 2017

Tens of academics, teachers, university staff and aid organization personnel were detained by police in Turkey over alleged links with Gülen movement.

At least 18 Sütçü İmam University academics and personnel have been detained over alleged links to the Gülen movement. Police carried out operations in three provinces –İstanbul, İzmir, Kahramanmaraş– to detain 18 from the Kahramanmaraş-based university.

Meanwhile, at least 14 executives of the Kimse Yok Mu aid organization’s local branch in Samsun province were detained as part of an investigation into the Gulen movement, on Tuesday. Police carried out operations in Samsun and Trabzon provinces to detain 14 suspects among them teachers and small business owners.

In the meantime, police in Bursa province took into custody 33 members and executives of the Irfan Educators Union, which was earlier closed down with a government decree over links to the movement.

Also, an Ankara couple has been sent to prison after they were caught watching videos belonging to US-based Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen at an internet cafe earlier this week. Acting on a tip from the internet café owner, police tailed the suspects — Y.M. and M.M. — and detained later them for watching the videos. The suspects were reportedly sent to an Ankara prison early on Wednesday.

Turkey experienced a military coup attempt on July 15, 2016 that killed over 240 people. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with Turkey’s autocratic President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Some 115,000 have been detained over Gülen links since coup attempt while critics often raise the issue of guilt by association. More than 7,300 academics have already lost their jobs since July 15 either after being dismissed from their positions or after the government shuttered their universities. Gülen, meanwhile, strongly denies any involvement. (SCF with turkeypurge.com)

 

Source: Stockholm Center for Freedom , April 19, 2017


Related News

Turkey purge victims unable to find jobs, cannot leave country

“It’s a kind of civil death,” Kerem Altıparmak, a human rights lawyer and political science professor at Ankara University, told the Los Angeles Times to describe how the lives of thousands have changed since a July 15 coup attempt. “You cannot leave the country, you cannot find other jobs, either because of legal or de facto obstacles, because even in the private sector people do not want to employ you.”

Excitement of Turkish Olympiads felt in Ethiopia

The Ethiopian final of the 12 th International Turkish Olympiads program was held in Sheraton Hotel in the city with the participation of around 450 people, most of whom are the parents of the students attending Internationa Nejashi Turkish School.

Liberian Government: Turkish school to remain open

The Liberian Government says the Turkish Light International School System remains a private institution of learning in Liberia and enjoys all the privileges provided all educational institutions operating in the country have until it concludes an investigation into allegations that operators of the school here were linked to a failed coup in Turkey.

Turkish charity announces cooperation with German counterpart

ASYA, the disaster team of the Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu, declared its cooperation with the German humanitarian organization I.S.A.R. with a press release on March 30.

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) ruled Tuesday that Turkey violated the rights of 2,420 people convicted of terrorism due to their alleged ties to the faith-based Gülen movement, finding that the judiciary failed to ensure fair trials and imposed criminal penalties without a legal basis.

Turkish Gov’t Systematically Violated 12 Fundamental Rights During Emergency Rule

Sezgin Tanrıkulu, a deputy from Turkey’s main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), has announced that Turkish government has systematically violated 12 fundamental human rights during the ongoing state of emergency in the country.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu to build 4 schools in Sudan

Prof. Nanda: Extraditing Fethullah Gulen to Turkey would erode the rule of law

A Forum On Africa in Turkey (I)

Kimse Yok Mu carries on aid for Gaza

Gülen condemns Paris shootings, says all forms of terror deplorable

Black Sunday: The day Turkey detained its prominent journalists

President Gül inaugurates Turkish school in Kenya

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News